Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#8821 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 02:41 PM

I'm so "unwoke" I didn't even know what it meant until a few months ago, lol. 

#8822 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

A Hundred Grand a year to sit in city hall and shuffle paper from the inbox to the out box?!  Holy crap, am I in the wrong line of business.  Time to unleash my inner lesbian, I guess..

The $100K is relatively chump change compared to the tens of millions of dollars that will be steered towards friends and supporters over the next few years under the guise of social equity in procurement.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#8823 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 05:25 PM

The $100K is relatively chump change compared to the tens of millions of dollars that will be steered towards friends and supporters over the next few years under the guise of social equity in procurement.

And most importantly... voters...
They are buying their future votes with our money.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 02 May 2021 - 05:25 PM.

#8824 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:21 PM

The only answer is for everybody to move out of the city therefore defunding the city.

• A Girl is No one likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8825 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:31 PM

the city would consider establishing a maximum number of parking spaces that new developments can include.  

aimed at removing economic barriers to affordable housing

increase opportunities for greenspaces and urban forestry.

https://www.iheartra...ents-1.15121307

If they would just come out and say they want to reduce cars downtown then so be it.  Driving up the value of space for parking is not related to affordable housing nor is it related to economic barriers.  Stop with the "urban forest" silliness.  

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#8826 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:52 PM

The City isn't making money when people park in private parkades. We can't blame them for wanting you pay them to park in their parkades overnight, or on the street 24/7. Otherwise, who's business is it how much parking a building includes? That should not be the the City's concern so long as their own legislated minimums are being reached.

I'm hearing one condo project that just completed in downtown Victoria already has a parking wait list. Go figure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8827 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:06 PM

Developers have been building less parking than zoning minimums for 20 years by asking for variances the city has happily given and home prices have never been higher. Today a downtown studio condo costs $400000 without parking. Let that sink in for a quick second.

Edited by Banksy, 03 May 2021 - 01:06 PM.

• Awaiting Juno and newbie_01 like this

#8828 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:49 PM

Stop with the "urban forest" silliness.  

On the other hand, the urban forest and adjacent green space creates more room for the criminal squatters to pitch their tents, so it’s not all bad.

#8829 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:18 PM

At $1,000/ft for a downtown condo there better be a parking spot and a valet parking service FFS 🤦‍♂️
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#8830 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:41 PM

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stirling

• Nparker, rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#8831 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:26 AM

If you want a good laugh check out Ben's Letter to the Editor in the TC today. He accuses a former politician of having narrow vision and being too focused on bike lanes. For real. You can not make this stuff up.  https://www.timescol...ices-1.24314732

#8832 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:17 AM

The City isn't making money when people park in private parkades. We can't blame them for wanting you pay them to park in their parkades overnight, or on the street 24/7. Otherwise, who's business is it how much parking a building includes? That should not be the the City's concern so long as their own legislated minimums are being reached.

I'm hearing one condo project that just completed in downtown Victoria already has a parking wait list. Go figure.

They must feel that if people can't park their vehicles then demand for condos and apartments will drop and therefore rents will come down.  I am sure that plan will work as well as their other half baked ideas have.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#8833 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:58 AM

City parkades are free overnight.  As is the street..  This direction has nothing to do with paying for parking.  This is a mindset that is happening in many Cities across North America, it's hardly a Victoria stand alone idea.  The intent is to have the developer consider when building how many spaces they will sell to potential buyers rather than being told how many to build and potentially not use.  It's a piece that might be a little early here as it leads to many issues.  While there is something to the intent there are other factors that should likely be considered...

• Jackerbie and Brayvehart like this

#8834 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:13 AM

City parkades are free overnight. As is the street.. This direction has nothing to do with paying for parking. This is a mindset that is happening in many Cities across North America, it's hardly a Victoria stand alone idea. The intent is to have the developer consider when building how many spaces they will sell to potential buyers rather than being told how many to build and potentially not use. It's a piece that might be a little early here as it leads to many issues. While there is something to the intent there are other factors that should likely be considered...

Believe it or not, Edmonton and Calgary are the leaders in parking reform in Canada.

#8835 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:19 PM

Believe it or not, Edmonton and Calgary are the leaders in parking reform in Canada.

Both with new building with no parking...  Trust me they are following...

#8836 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:02 PM

City parkades are free overnight. As is the street.

As were Sundays.

Dictating parking maximums will push vehicles onto the street, where the City has the domain on charging for parking. And once that happens parking rates will rise from 6PM to 10PM, and overnight parking in parkades will no longer be gratis.

I have no bone to pick here at all, but I think we can all see what’s happening.
  • rjag, sebberry, grantpalin and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8837 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:17 PM

As were Sundays.

Dictating parking maximums will push vehicles onto the street, where the City has the domain on charging for parking. And once that happens parking rates will rise from 6PM to 10PM, and overnight parking in parkades will no longer be gratis.

I have no bone to pick here at all, but I think we can all see what’s happening.

It provides a lever to make it too expensive to own a car.

#8838 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:56 PM

M-I-L has 2 parking spots in her condo that she bought 6-7 years ago at 200 Douglas, she was saying her friends in other condos in the core are on years long wait lists for parking spots. 

Not having parking is a huge savings in construction costs for developers but I dont see how those savings could be passed on past the first sale and even then I doubt it

#8839 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:40 AM

City parkades are free overnight.  As is the street..  This direction has nothing to do with paying for parking.  This is a mindset that is happening in many Cities across North America, it's hardly a Victoria stand alone idea.  The intent is to have the developer consider when building how many spaces they will sell to potential buyers rather than being told how many to build and potentially not use.  It's a piece that might be a little early here as it leads to many issues.  While there is something to the intent there are other factors that should likely be considered...

My argument is with council dictating the maximum number of spaces a developer can build. That should be the decision of the developer based on her market assessment and need. 

Sure tenants or homeowners can park on the street and in parkades in the evening for free, but those are the same spaces that people from outside of the core use when they come downtown for shopping, entertainment and meals. So in addition to the false narrative that every dollar a developer saves in construction costs they pass on to the buyer, perhaps some people on council also believe that if they can force businesses to close then low cost housing will replace them!

• sebberry, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#8840 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:54 AM

The highest ratio of parking in the CRD among new-build projects is at government-funded social and affordable housing projects. I'm trying to understand how imposing maximums will lead to affordable housing, if affordable housing appears to be providing more (not less) on-site parking.

• Nparker, sebberry and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users