Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:37 AM

#9422 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:43 AM

This perplexed many, especially the nonchalant post from VicPD effectively saying ‘emergency vehicles are being blocked too, so expect longer response times.’ I can’t decide whether that was a political message to a higher level of government, or at face value, or a dig at council.
  • Nparker, A Girl is No one, Barrrister and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9423 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 08:19 AM

This just in:  VicPD wins Inspector Clouseau Award for investigation of Captain Cook statue destruction.  Also earns Honourable Mention for handling of Johnson Street bridge blockade.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#9424 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 September 2021 - 08:40 AM

Any chance the protestors were looking for a reaction given all the 'defund' and 'police brutality' claims they've been making?  Perhaps VicPD standing down was the right move.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9425 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, they probably did want a reaction.  But so what?  Are the police supposed to stand down every time there’s some group committing a crime right in front of them because anarchists will call them big meanies?  There is supposed to be something called rule of law in this society and it’s their job to enforce it.  Otherwise what are we paying them for?  And why is it always the “protesters” they protect?  

• LJ and A Girl is No one like this

#9426 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,040 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 01:34 PM

I mostly agree.

but probably the highest concern is safety for everyone - including the public, the police. And finally the protestors.

Surely one way we can deal with this is charging people after the fact. We need not arrest them on the spot. Issue a summons or arrest them later.

#9427 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 03:41 PM

The public was not at risk, though only because no emergency vehicles had to cross the bridge at that time.

The motley protesters posed no danger to the police either.  Not to mention that police are expected to face dangerous situations from time to time.

The welfare of the anarchists should be a very low priority.  And an overnight in the holding cells would be a valuable learning experience for them.

It’s basically just another woke cave-in which, as we have seen, only encourages more of the same.

And I’m still waiting for arrests of the Cook mob.  We’ll probably see that on the 12th of Never.

Edited by JimV, 01 September 2021 - 03:43 PM.

• Nparker, Midnightly and Victoria Watcher like this

#9428 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 03:47 PM

Hundreds of red hand prints are all over the bridge deck following yesterday’s protest.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9429 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:06 PM

And I suppose more of my tax dollars will be used to clean them off.  :whyme:

#9430 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:15 PM

Should be easy to identify the hand/fingerprints.  Caught red-handed.

• Nparker, sebberry, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#9431 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 07:27 PM

Why didn't they just raise the bridge?

Problem solved.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9432 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 September 2021 - 07:53 PM

Why didn't they just raise the bridge?

Problem solved.

Raises an interesting point - in the moments the bridge begins to rise to the time they all slide off, how much dynamic loading is the bridge designed to withstand from jumping protestors before damage occurs? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9433 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 10:45 PM

it's pretty sad when the anti vax crew can pull a much bigger crowd then those fighting at/for fairy creek and anti-logging (and anti arrests of those who break the law, and anti RCMP....) pro defund crowd... though i do have to ask why are they protesting in Victoria.. Victoria isn't RCMP run.. if you want to protest the RCMP arrests go protest in langford where they actually use the RCMP

#9434 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 04:35 AM

It is because most of the protest crowd lives in Victoria. Besides, Stu would have them locked up in a heartbeat in Langford. 

• LJ likes this

#9435 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 03:42 PM

So I understand the CTJ/Andrew animal welfare proposal - a presumed no-brainer - was voted down.

Aside from the fact that more than half the council is apparently either insane and/or hates animals, does anyone have more info?

#9436 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,040 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 03:50 PM

did it intend to remove dogs from their owners? maybe not surprising. I am almost sure that dogs ingesting opioids is not any kind of widespread problem.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 September 2021 - 03:51 PM.

#9437 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 04:45 PM

So I understand the CTJ/Andrew animal welfare proposal - a presumed no-brainer - was voted down.

Aside from the fact that more than half the council is apparently either insane and/or hates animals, does anyone have more info?

Apparently Ben said.....

wait for it,

that it went beyond City Council's purview. 

• sebberry, A Girl is No one, newbie_01 and 2 others like this

#9438 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:05 PM

Pot meet kettle.

• sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

#9439 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:45 PM

when i first read about it i only had one concern... accidental incidents...such as a good owner brings their dog down to dallas road to the dog off leash park (or any park or trail) the dog snuffles something on the ground or eats human feces of a user (and this has happened) and has a reaction where the dog has been rushed to the vet and had to be treated with naloxone or other life saving drugs... other then that i was completely for it... no dog/cat/pet should have to get multiple treatments due to owner negligence, if a person can't take care of themselves then they probably can't take care of a pet

• Barrrister likes this

#9440 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 06:18 AM

Why am I not surprised.  If kids can get punched or worse, women get raped in tents, what makes you think Helps is going to give a $%#$ for dogs?  It's just more justified collateral damage.

• sebberry, A Girl is No one, rmpeers and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users