Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#11641 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:48 AM

Become a republic. Return crown land to the people of Canada.
End the decolonization = white guilt woke BS narrative that only serves to further divide us.
Stop with the cultural appropriation and seek cultural integration.

The people of Canada already own crown land. FN also have a hereditary system of governance. I don't know of anyone who wants to appropriate anything from the FN.

#11642 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:51 AM

I’ll start a GoFund me for you.

Appreciated, especially now that I am on a "fixed" income.  :thumbsup:

#11643 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:52 AM

“Forgiveness” in the broad sense of acceptance of the past but moving on from it.

#11644 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:53 AM

The people of Canada already own crown land. FN also have a hereditary system of governance. I don't know of anyone who wants to appropriate anything from the FN.

No we don’t. The Queen does. Our government manages it. If we owned it we would be getting royalties from all that lumber being pulled out of it.

#11645 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:00 AM

We need to move away from this fairy tale storyline for First Nations that only cutifies their culture.

I think what most people object to is the revisionist historical perspective that whitewashes anything we would frown upon today (ie slavery, misogyny, violence) while at the same time trying to point out the flaws in other cultures of the time. The belief that everything that has happened over the past 500 years has been bad and that somehow they would have been better off living their substance lifestyles and that nothing from other cultures has been of benefit.

• Nparker and LJ like this

#11646 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:00 AM

No we don’t. The Queen does. Our government manages it. If we owned it we would be getting royalties from all that lumber being pulled out of it.

I think we do get royalties from the lumber. You think that the Queen collects a cheque from TimberWest each month?

#11647 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:08 AM

I don’t, the government does. Then they squander that on their own pet projects.

#11648 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:16 AM

Appreciated, especially now that I am on a "fixed" income.  :thumbsup:

Can you send a repairman out please my fixed income seems to be broken.

#11649 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:17 AM

You see if you can figure out who owns it...

94% of the land in British Columbia is provincial Crown land, 2% of which is covered by fresh water. Federal Crown land makes up a further 1% of the province, including Indian reserves, defence lands and federal harbours, while 5% is privately owned. The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations issues Crown land tenures and sells Crown land on behalf of the Crown in Right of British Columbia.[13]

By the arrangements of the Canadian federation, Canada's monarchy operates in British Columbia as the core of the province's Westminster-style parliamentary democracy.[1] As such, the Crown within British Columbia's jurisdiction is referred to as the Crown in Right of British Columbia,[2] Her Majesty in Right of British Columbia,[3] or the Queen in Right of British Columbia.[4] The Constitution Act, 1867, however, leaves many royal duties in British Columbia specifically assigned to the sovereign's viceroy, the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia,[1] whose direct participation in governance is limited by the conventional stipulations of constitutional monarchy.[5]

https://en.wikipedia...ritish_Columbia

#11650 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:19 AM

You are playing with semantics. Revenues from crown lands go to the Government which we all benefit from. The monarchy has nothing to do with it.

Edited by spanky123, 09 July 2022 - 10:19 AM.

#11651 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:21 AM

Maybe we should be glad we/Canadians didn’t end up ruled over by the Spaniards, the Portuguese or the Dutch, etc. All things considered, ending up a British Colony made Canada a prosperous, safe and desirable nation to live in. You can’t say the same for much/most of the Americas outside of the USA.
  • Beef Suet likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11652 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:22 AM

Revenues from natural resources also support huge government divisions that regulate and monitor the resource industries. Which may or may not just make the entire exercise a wash.

#11653 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:27 AM

Simply put, nobody owns land "outright" in Canada ... you (and I) have only been granted "land tenure", and that land tenure is granted to us by the Crown.

In order to grant us that land tenure in the first place, the Crown would have to "own" all the land in Canada, which it does.

That's why you can have folks drill for oil on your farm in Northeastern B.C., or why the CRD Water folks have to deal with placer miners in the watershed ... because the Crown sells mineral and oil rights separately from the "land tenure" they allow you to have (and until then, you likely believe that you "own" the land you purchased).

Always important to remember Canada isn't a republic, we're not even a parliamentary democracy ... we're 100% a constitutional monarchy (which long ago started to wear extremely thin, and which should very likely cease to exist at some point in the near future, remembering that at some point, were the right folks to die in the right order, you'd be beholding to Andrew the Pedophile as your ruler and monarch).

Edited by Spy Black, 09 July 2022 - 10:30 AM.

• dasmo likes this

#11654 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:30 AM

You are playing with semantics. Revenues from crown lands go to the Government which we all benefit from. The monarchy has nothing to do with it.

I would prefer if the semantics were simple and Wikipedia said the people of Canada own public land and the government. 

#11655 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:34 AM

you'd be beholding to Andrew the Pedophile as your ruler and monarch).

as it is, we are locally ruled by a "pedalphile" ...   ;-)

• JimV likes this

#11656 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:58 AM

Incorrect. Le Prince is an ephebophile.

It’s amazing what comedians on Youtube Shorts will teach you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11657 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 11:03 AM

I’ll start a GoFund me for you.

He’s still on the taxpayer teat, better demand full transparency for the donations! :banana:

I remember well the trips to the longhouse, the potlatch celebrations and more at my elementary school, did none of you have the same experience in the 80’s?

#11658 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 11:04 AM

No such trips in the 90s. We did have art class with Butch Dick in 5th grade, though. He would come in every once in a while. He was great!

Know it all.

#11659 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 11:35 AM

He’s still on the taxpayer teat, better demand full transparency for the donations! ...

But the teat is much smaller, and for the most part you've already paid for it through my pension contributions over the past 31 years.

#11660 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 11:57 AM

That’s what the banana was for, to cover all that.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users