City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#1301 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

I don't know why Collins would be tempted to be a backbencher in a party that will never rule as opposed to being on Council where you can actually get things done. 

it's a $130,000 salary difference per year.

it's good news for madoff to re-enter politics if there is a byelection.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 March 2019 - 04:59 PM.

#1302 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

^ Do you think one of the unsuccessful mayoral candidates would make a run at a Council seat?

#1303 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

it's a $130,000 salary difference per year.

it's good news for madoff to re-enter politics if there is a byelection.

Both good points. Silly me, I didn't think about the salary.

^ Do you think one of the unsuccessful mayoral candidates would make a run at a Council seat?

AKA the Ben Isitt route. Possibly, but it's a pretty weak field. If absolutely nobody worthwhile showed up Stephen Hammond has a chance but he would be easily toppled by another strong name.

Stephen Andrews should also be taking note.

• rmpeers likes this

#1304 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:23 PM

i'd suspect together victoria would get another candidate ready.

but it's pretty premature i'm sure there are some others wanting that ndp nomination.  dean fortin needs a job.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 March 2019 - 05:23 PM.

• rjag and On the Level like this

#1305 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:49 PM

...it's good news for madoff to re-enter politics if there is a by-election.

...dean fortin needs a job.

No and no. We've been there, done that. Just because the new faces on council are mostly duds doesn't mean we have to resort to reruns, especially by re-electing someone who was far too long at City Hall by (just about) anyone's estimation. I refuse to believe there isn't at least one moderate, but as yet un-elected candidate out there. As has been suggested, this could be Stephen Andrew's'chance.

• grantpalin, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#1306 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:10 AM

i'd suspect together victoria would get another candidate ready.

but it's pretty premature i'm sure there are some others wanting that ndp nomination.  dean fortin needs a job.

Most votes go 8:1. It doesn't really matter who might be the replacement.

#1307 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:12 AM

Seems pretty nervy to just get elected then try and abandon ship. Wouldn't get my vote in any capacity.

I think that the chances of her getting the NDP nod are zero.

#1308 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

I think that the chances of her getting the NDP nod are zero.

True, the field will be busy with all sorts, however the depth may not be so great being that they are in power at the Leg and the ones not working there are either too wet behind the ears or are past their 'sell by' date...mind you I would say I just described the whole crowd at the Leg

#1309 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:42 AM

This is the Green’s seat to win. The NDP are going to have to dig very, very deep to having a fighting chance against Kooy. I’m fact, considering so much of the Green/NDP sentiment is parallel, Kooy is the obvious choice for a progressive. Rankin, a former Liberal, was a bridge between Anderson and the NDP and it worked for the party.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1310 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:51 AM

The latest news: Laurel Collins running for ndp Mp seat? Isn’t she a little green? No pun intended. I’ve watched her during the council meetings and it’s almost painful. Wouldn’t some experience do her some good? 4 months is a terrible commitment in my opinion but what do I know ...

Well, shoot your shot I guess. She has a chance at a job that pays $173k annually, which she'd probably never earn otherwise.

#1311 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:00 AM

This is the Green’s seat to win. The NDP are going to have to dig very, very deep to having a fighting chance against Kooy. I’m fact, considering so much of the Green/NDP sentiment is parallel, Kooy is the obvious choice for a progressive. Rankin, a former Liberal, was a bridge between Anderson and the NDP and it worked for the party.

Are you sure about that Mike? Pretty certain that politically Rankin has been NDP-branded from the get-go. As I recall - I don't know him personally but know a couple of folks with relatively close (political) connections to him - his first foray into politics was volunteering in some fashion with then Ontario NDP leader Stephen Lewis. Don't think he was ever under the Liberal banner.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 08 March 2019 - 09:00 AM.

#1312 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:11 AM

I would also add that you are forgetting about Denise Savoie, Mike. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1313 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:18 AM

he's never been a liberal.

#1314 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:28 AM

Last election Rankin beat Jo Anne Roberts of the Green party by only 7,000 votes, a respectable result against a popular incumbent. Might she run again? Right now she's deputy leader of the Greens.

#1315 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

Last election Rankin beat Jo Anne Roberts of the Green party by only 7,000 votes, a respectable result against a popular incumbent. Might she run again? 

mike says a different green candidate is already in place.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 March 2019 - 09:34 AM.

#1316 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:07 AM

he's never been a liberal.

Rankin was a member of the Federal Liberals before the 2012 by-election.

Green candidate is already nominated, Racelle Kooy. Jo-Ann is running for the Greens on the East Coast.

Edited by AndrewReeve, 08 March 2019 - 10:09 AM.

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#1317 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

mike says a different green candidate is already in place.

https://www.greenpar...h-climate-rally

• Rob Randall likes this

#1318 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

I would also add that you are forgetting about Denise Savoie, Mike.

Right, she brought the seat to the NDP. She served 1.5 terms on council prior to be elected in 2006, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1319 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:41 AM

So the Mayor's rationale for sexual assaults increasing in Victoria compared to the rest of the country is that more women are reporting assaults so that is good news. 

http://www.iheartrad...ality-1.8997238

If CFAX took 15 seconds to think about her response then they would realize that the only way Helps' statement could be true is if no other City had women comparatively increasing their reporting of crimes! I wonder if her PR staff sit around and laugh whenever the media prints what they come up with.

Edited by spanky123, 08 March 2019 - 11:42 AM.

• Greg, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#1320 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

So the Mayor's rationale for sexual assaults increasing in Victoria compared to the rest of the country is that more women are reporting assaults so that is good news. 

http://www.iheartrad...ality-1.8997238

If CFAX took 15 seconds to think about her response then they would realize that the only way Helps' statement could be true is if no other City had women comparatively increasing their reporting of crimes! I wonder if her PR staff sit around and laugh whenever the media prints what they come up with.

That was exactly my reaction. Reporting rates may well be up, but the point she claimed to make would only be valid if reporting rates in Victoria had increased *relative to other Canadian cities*, which is incredibly unlikely.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Kungsberg like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)