City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#1381 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

If that was the goal, you'd think they focus on hiring an indigenous person.

Well James self identities as Metis, not sure what that actually means given a UK birthplace (presume one or both parents were Metis?); and I believe her husband is First Nations, so there are your FN links.

So - they hired her daughter for a nice 6-figure salary with zero experience: I wonder how many of the CV's they received for this role from oh, say, experienced *but* white middle aged males. for example - who have actually headed an organizational strategic operations department or division, but who are, in addition, not related to the local NDP MLA - were actually ever really considered for the position?

Looking at that UBC link it seems pretty obvious why she was hired...she checks all the warm and fuzzy "progressive' boxes, and will presumably fit in nicely with the hard core left of centre SJW elements on this council. After all she has a 'James-NDP' family pedigree. And which of the harder-core council leftists who have the potential to make things difficult for Her Worship, but who may also have aspirations for higher office <cough, cough....Isitt, Loveday?>, will risk p****** off or thumping skulls with the new Head of Strategic Operations who just so happens to also be the daughter of the NDP Deputy Premier of the province?

It will be fascinating to see what truly innovative, original, and actual strategic game & city-changing initiatives James the Younger comes up with. If I'm paying you $100K - and CoV taxpayers are ultimately doing precisely that - then I/they should have very high expectations that she will be on her game right from the get-go, and will produce and perform to a high standard in this role, each day and every day. I do have to wonder how training in "settler colonialism" among other topics will assist her with that; so we'll just have to wait with baited breath to see how it all unfolds. 

Edited by AllseeingEye, 18 March 2019 - 08:10 PM.

#1382 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

Transitional justice. Is that even a thing?

Looks like I need to pay attention a little more.

https://www.ictj.org...itional-justice

#1383 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

Oh good, so we can expect Ms. James to address the budget shortfall facing VicPD:

Mass atrocities and systematic abuses devastate societies and their legacy is likely to make conditions of the country fragile: Political and legal institutions like parliament, the judiciary, the police and the prosecution service may be weak, unstable, politicized, and under-resourced. The violations themselves will have severely damaged whatever confidence might have existed in the state to guarantee the rights and safety of citizens. And communities will often have been ripped asunder in the process and social or political organizations greatly weakened.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1384 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:04 PM

^the greatest threat to our societies and institutions has so far been subversive cultural Marxists like her. And the damage is basically already done

#1385 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:17 PM

Come on, how much can you really expect. That’s like $50 an hour, isn’t it? Even a plumber is nearly double that.

Matt.

#1386 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:26 PM

It would appear as though the plan is falling apart. The amount of ridicule and mockery Victoria’s council sees on daily basis is unprecedented for a Canadian municipal government presiding over a somewhat important jurisdiction.

You’ve got a premier mocking the mayor, you’ve got the Minister of Public Safety mocking the mayor and council, the Chamber calls Helps and her backers quixotic (quixotic!), and for gosh sake, even a scientist from UVic took a swing at the mayor over the cherry blossom/climate change shenanigans.

There’s a rookie councillor already setting her sights for a federal seat, the daughter of the Deputy Premier just landed a six figure, newly created job at City Hall, a $70M-going-on-$110M swimming pool project has fallen apart losing millions in government backing in the process, and to top it all off, the CoV slid from its perch as the best city for women because of a rise in sexual assault reports (allegations of sexual assault, mind you, weren’t enough to have the mayor reconsider calling the former police chief the best thing to have ever happened to Victoria).

The inevitable here is self destruction. The question is, will it be by 2022, or 2026?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1387 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

Come on, how much can you really expect. That’s like $50 an hour, isn’t it? Even a plumber is nearly double that.

Matt.

Minus
- marketing costs
- operational costs
- asset acquisitions
- business insurance
- corporate tax
- personal insurance
- personal dental plan
- personal injury insurance

The plumber is lucky to keep $30/hour in his pocket after an hour of labour.
  • Matt R., jonny and On the Level like this

Know it all.

#1388 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:36 PM

...If I'm paying you $100K - and CoV taxpayers are ultimately doing precisely that - then I/they should have very high expectations that she will be on her game right from the get-go, and will produce and perform to a high standard in this role, each day and every day...

Can someone explain how the CoV survived for 150 years without this sort of position supporting the mayor's office?

• Love the rock and mbjj like this

#1389 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:59 PM

Minus
- marketing costs
- operational costs
- asset acquisitions
- business insurance
- corporate tax
- personal insurance
- personal dental plan
- personal injury insurance
The plumber is lucky to keep $30/hour in his pocket after an hour of labour.

Ha, ok, I knew someone was going to break it down like that. Hourly wage for a journeyman HVAC tech is about $45 an hour, and that’s as an employee with no overhead.

Your plumber keeps more than $30 an hour, btw, or they are doing something wrong.

Matt.

#1390 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

I’ll tell ya, I’ll pay the HVAC guy $200/hour if it means I won’t freeze in the winter or melt in the summer.
  • Matt R., Greg and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.

#1391 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

Can someone explain how the CoV survived for 150 years without this sort of position supporting the mayor's office?

well someone needs to do the mayors work when she doesn't want to.. she's too busy going to openings and events on new ways for transportation or fighting the oil industry

#1392 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:08 PM

Yah I’m sure you would. Illustrates my point that $100k a year doesn’t really get you all that much anymore, so maybe some people should temper their expectations.

You pay that much and more for someone to replace a toilet or paint your house.

Matt.

#1393 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:16 PM

$100k a year is a phenomenal wage, and don’t forget it includes a top tier benefits package, vacation pay and a pension, and it’s guaranteed income.

A painter and a plumber have to put in a tremendous amount of sweat and labour to earn that wage, then another 1/3 more in effort for a pension, time off and healthcare costs, and their wage is not guaranteed.
  • Matt R. and mbjj like this

Know it all.

#1394 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:30 PM

$100k a year is a phenomenal wage, and don’t forget it includes a top tier benefits package, vacation pay and a pension, and it’s guaranteed income.
A painter and a plumber have to put in a tremendous amount of sweat and labour to earn that wage, then another 1/3 more in effort for a pension, time off and healthcare costs, and their wage is not guaranteed.

Nah. Regular 45 hour weeks will do it. Guaranteed, the tradesperson will be working harder than the mayors new helper, that I’ll give you. You aren’t entirely wrong.

Matt.

#1395 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

While the bureaucrat works 35 hours in a comfy office, with the odd (oops!) longer lunch thrown in here and there?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#1396 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:21 PM

Shoot, this is a 35 hour a week position? I stand corrected!

Matt.

#1397 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:00 PM

call me crazy... but i'd love to see how her resume stands up to the job qualifications that were posted (sadly i can no longer find the job posting) i do remember reading it and i don't remember seeing anything about needing memory studies and settler colonialism degrees.. i do remember reading about needing experience

#1398 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:07 AM

Oh good, so we can expect Ms. James to address the budget shortfall facing VicPD:

I actually expect the police department to address its own problem.

#1399 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:57 AM

Yeah, wasn't that the dealbreaker? That a five figure salary was inadequate because we required someone from the big leagues? And that Helps strong-armed council into approving a listing with a six-figure offer? Or am I getting my multiple mayor assistant job listings mixed up?

• jonny likes this

#1400 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:03 AM

she tried to get $130 and i think they settled for ~ $98.  and she said at that point she might not bother hiring one at such a low salary.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)