Christmas Events In Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:04 PM

This government is great at useless firsts.

To play by their rules a Victoria resident would have to drive to the Lake Cowichan area then scramble up logging roads accessible via Highway 18. It’s literally like a Griswold family outing in the making, lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

To play by their rules a Victoria resident would have to drive to the Lake Cowichan area then scramble up logging roads accessible via Highway 18. It’s literally like a Griswold family outing in the making, lol.

I used to do it as a kid all the time. I mean it wasn't legal. But the drive isn't that bad and a lot of people were doing it.

You just pop up for the afternoon, find a nice tree, cut it down, rope it to the roof of your car or in the back of your truck and Bob's your uncle.

If you are into the idea of cutting down your own tree, then you will look at it as an adventure.

If you aren't then you can still go to a place in town that has pre-cut trees and buy one.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 28 November 2018 - 02:15 PM.

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

Gas for the trip $50.  Lunch out $50 - $100.  Speeding ticket on the beautiful Malahat Drive...  

#24 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

the idea of an exposed tree strapped to the car driving down the highway doens't sound like a thrilling one (and can't be good for the tree).. we'll buy from the scouts this year (atleast i know buying from the scouts it's a semi local tree, fairly fresh and i'm supporting a good cause)

as a kid i remember going into the woods cutting down a tree, it was an adventure for sure!, all wrapped up in snow suits, snow 2+ft deep, hopping on the snowmobiles and cruising through the bush to find the perfect tree (it had to be a blue spruce) but that was in northern BC where there was more trees then people

#25 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:27 AM

I'll stick to my fake one. Looks real enough. Shrug

• Nparker likes this

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:54 AM

A big hose from the taiplipe to the tree should capture the carbon on the way back.  

On another note, anyone take a walk around Centennial Square the night of the (Insert dairy company name here) Santa Parade?  It was quite pathetic, IMO.  Not much there to make it feel like Christmas.  Left before the light-up to beat the traffic.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:31 PM

The traffic was absolutely chaotic. Some downtown business owners are absolutely livid due to clients not being to access their businesses or restaurant reservations going unfilled as would-be patrons gave up on trying to access the downtown core, and that was well before the parade and well after.

I can see the downtown parade moving to an alternate location in the years to come. Closing down Government Street on a very busy Saturday just results in chaos.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:54 PM

What was different about this year? Hasn't that parade gone that exact route for many years?

#29 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:47 PM

as far as i know the parade has gone that exact route for years before that it used to extend down to capitol iron as it's end spot, and start further down (read someone posted it used to start at dallas.. but that is before my time) i didn't find traffic all that more busy, the route was busier then last year (people arrived a bit earlier then in past years) though last year it was raining so i think it had a lower turn out.. i found parking no problem at one of the parkades, getting out was the same drill (slow moving, once out go the opposite direction of most the traffic, head upward away from the heavy traffic)  i also noticed that the parade did move quickly almost as if they were in a rush...to be honest i can't even remember seeing santa in the santa float it went by so quickly blink and you miss it

tomorrow is the lighted truck parade! that one is always a great parade!,  every year it seems to get better and bigger and they now have an online tracker so you can see where it is at along the route (first and last truck) so you don't have to wait in the cold for an hour to catch it anywhere on the long route in the not so busy areas

#30 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:25 AM

The GM of the Fort st. Keg was apoplectic on his FB page about all the traffic issues. Wow.

Matt.

#31 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:59 AM

I don't even know what apoplectic means.

Sounds like a learning disability?

#32 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:48 AM

tomorrow is the lighted truck parade! that one is always a great parade!,  every year it seems to get better and bigger and they now have an online tracker so you can see where it is at along the route (first and last truck) so you don't have to wait in the cold for an hour to catch it anywhere on the long route in the not so busy areas

Or you can just use this map today, with the approximate times along the parade route.

There is also a list of locations where you can leave your FOOD Donations.

https://www.ieoa.ca/ 

2018convoyroutemap.jpg

Edited by Bingo, 01 December 2018 - 07:54 AM.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#33 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:36 AM

The Lighted truck parade is always a good one. I skipped it last year due to the rain, but tonight is calling for clear skies.

The nice thing about the lighted truck parade is that the route is so long.......you can watch it from anywhere you like. 

I usually watch it from the Uptown overpass.

Uptown At Christmas 2015

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 01 December 2018 - 08:40 AM.

#34 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:02 PM

Or you can just use this map today, with the approximate times along the parade route.

There is also a list of locations where you can leave your FOOD Donations.

https://www.ieoa.ca/ 

attachicon.gif2018convoyroutemap.jpg

the map is great to find the perfect place to set up and know the route it takes, i've found the times listed on it are approximate, it's nice to know if it's running behind (some years it's been up to an hour late by the time it hits langford) or if it's almost there really helps when the kid asks "how much longer" i can show them where it's currently at along the route (the GPS tracking you can follow where it's at at any given time)

#35 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:18 PM

This really has become one of the more popular Christmas 'traditions' in recent years and the crowds always seem in a festive mood; we've watched in from Dallas Rd where we manned one of the food donation stations a couple of years ago, as well as upper Yates near Rockland and the Oak Bay Village when our daughter was younger with my parents some years ago which was a great night.

Often wondered though why they don't head out to the West Shore for the final leg via Craigflower since the route along Douglas past Uptown plods along several kilometers of highway where far fewer people actually live; many many more folks would get an opportunity to witness it firsthand along Craigflower and from there the Old Island Hwy. I presume they use the T-C as it allows them to pick up speed and reduce the time required to wind up at the speedway.....

• sebberry likes this

#36 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:58 PM

This really has become one of the more popular Christmas 'traditions' in recent years and the crowds always seem in a festive mood; we've watched in from Dallas Rd where we manned one of the food donation stations a couple of years ago, as well as upper Yates near Rockland and the Oak Bay Village when our daughter was younger with my parents some years ago which was a great night.

Often wondered though why they don't head out to the West Shore for the final leg via Craigflower since the route along Douglas past Uptown plods along several kilometers of highway where far fewer people actually live; many many more folks would get an opportunity to witness it firsthand along Craigflower and from there the Old Island Hwy. I presume they use the T-C as it allows them to pick up speed and reduce the time required to wind up at the speedway.....

Your map image just shows as a Big blurry, pixellated attachement.

#37 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

Your map image just shows as a Big blurry, pixellated attachement.

I didn't quote the map image merely added my comment above. Presume you are referring to Midnightly's post.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 01 December 2018 - 03:12 PM.

#38 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

I didn't quote the map image merely added my comment above. Presume you are referring to Midnightly's post.

I have have noticed this issue on many posts.....perhaps MIKE (the tall dark middle eastern looking admin with a beard) can fix it. Must be something to do with the forum's software programming.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 01 December 2018 - 03:19 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#39 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

This is a common occurrence when you quote a post that has an image in it. Go back to the original photo in the post and holding the mouse over the selected photo and right click on "copy image address",Then go to your new post and click on the green box below the smiley face and copy the image address into the green box.

Before you select POST you can click on "Attach Photos & more Reply Options to see if it works, and then hit the POST button. Did that work?

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:47 PM

I have have noticed this issue on many posts.....perhaps MIKE (the tall dark middle eastern looking admin with a beard) can fix it. Must be something to do with the forum's software programming.

You’re starting to creep me out a little, lol.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users