Photo

Christmas Events In Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#41 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:23 PM

another great event this year! though i think a bit shorter then years past.. lots of trucks some went very creative.. the highlight was the last one blowing tons of bubbles everywhere, we ended up catching it twice, once on beach drive before it hits oak bay and again on yates on our way back we crossed paths with it

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:29 PM

The outdoor skating rink will return to Bear Mountain this year. The dates have not been set yet, though. Last year it operated from mid-December to mid-January.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

This is a common occurrence when you quote a post that has an image in it. Go back to the original photo in the post and holding the mouse over the selected photo and right click on "copy image address",Then go to your new post and click on the green box below the smiley face and copy the image address into the green box.

Before you select POST you can click on "Attach Photos & more Reply Options to see if it works, and then hit the POST button. Did that work?

AintNobodyGotTimeForThat.jpg

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:42 PM

Sooke’s Santa Parade is going down today at 5PM. It’ll move through the town centre.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

The Esquimalt Celebration of Lights and Christmas Parade also takes place this evening at 5pm

http://esquimaltlights.ca/

#46 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,007 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:26 PM

there is a sidney parade tonight too.

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:34 PM

Luckily with my helicopter finally back in action I’ll be able to catch all three simultaneously.

Know it all.

#48 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:57 AM

The annual Oak Bay "Sea Of Lights"  Lighted ship parade is Tomorrow Friday December 7th at 7pm.

Watch boats all done up in beautiful Christmas Lights sail from the Royal Victoria Yacht Club, and sail past Cattle Point, Willows Beach, and Cadboro Bay

https://www.rvyc.bc....-of-lights.html

• todd likes this

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,007 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

the least you could do to thank contributors is spell their names right.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2018 - 04:46 PM.

#50 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

scuba santa! at Panorama rec this weekend

Come to get your photo with Santa... UNDERWATER! Change up your holiday photos this year with a fun twist! Masks/ Goggles can be provided. Santa will arrive around 1:30pm, first come, first serve with pictures with Santa.

https://www.facebook...55902004651617/

#51 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

Had to p/u Mrs ASE tonight who was having dinner with a friend at Uptown; have to say I was really struck/impressed with how the whole site oozes "Christmas" in terms of lights and decorations and general buzz - it was a madhouse, just packed with shoppers. And a sharp contrast to Mayfair where I strolled through the new extension last night on my own. It was downright dull by comparison and about as festive as a colonoscopy. I could've lobbed an exploding bowling ball down the new wing along Douglas Street and not hit anyone.

Interesting how you'll still see many locals b!tching on local forums about how much they hate Uptown and how they pine for the old Town & Country (which was as crappy and tacky a POS strip mall as there ever was...) and yet Uptown appears to be a roaring success. Good on them too. Not at all surprised that their annual tree lighting ceremony and Christmas parade is as popular as it is - great energy.

• sebberry likes this

#52 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:08 PM

On the other hand, I was at Uptown for the truck light parade - the place was packed with people, for a short while.  Starbucks probably did some pretty good business selling hot chocolates of whatever, but the Good Earth coffee place was closed, as were many of the other businesses there.  And this was only 7:30 PM.  

A few people stuck around to take pictures by the tree, but Uptown really could have seized the opportunity better.  A Christmas night market perhaps?  

Centennial Square dropped the ball for the Santa parade a week earlier, too.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#53 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:37 PM

On the other hand, I was at Uptown for the truck light parade - the place was packed with people, for a short while.  Starbucks probably did some pretty good business selling hot chocolates of whatever, but the Good Earth coffee place was closed, as were many of the other businesses there.  And this was only 7:30 PM.  

A few people stuck around to take pictures by the tree, but Uptown really could have seized the opportunity better.  A Christmas night market perhaps?  

Centennial Square dropped the ball for the Santa parade a week earlier, too.

That would be a hell of a good idea.....

#54 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:56 PM

uptown did a winter market in an empty storefront back late november, they also shut down the whole boulevard for their christmas parade and i think they had some vendors at that, in the past they have had pop up shops in empty storefronts for the christmas season

#55 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:48 AM

scuba santa! at Panorama rec this weekend

Come to get your photo with Santa... UNDERWATER! Change up your holiday photos this year with a fun twist! Masks/ Goggles can be provided. Santa will arrive around 1:30pm, first come, first serve with pictures with Santa.

https://www.facebook...55902004651617/

Good to know that even todd's octopi kids will get gifts this year.

• Redd42 likes this

#56 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:32 PM

the least you could do to thank contributors is spell their names right.

Sea of lights tonight anything can happen, like approximately 2007 when the parade line was pushed by winds into a grouping of jagged rocks only realizing at the last minute and a panicked radio message sending the whole group into a scramble, amazingly only one boat grounded.

https://www.rvyc.bc....hip-parade.html

#57 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:53 PM

I stole it from a friend so I can't take full credit for it.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#58 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:54 AM

It's NOT a Christmas Tree, it's a tree with lights in Centennial Square.

I suppose we need to do away with lighting that tree next year to be able to help pay the salary of the mayor's new senior advisor.

Victoria shouldn’t be decking public property with boughs of holly, lighting up Christmas trees or handing out poinsettias, says Coun. Ben Isitt, who has won council support for a review of the city’s seasonal decorations.https://www.timescol...sity-1.23522941

• todd likes this

#59 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:50 AM

It's NOT a Christmas Tree, it's a tree with lights in Centennial Square.

I suppose we need to do away with lighting that tree next year to be able to help pay the salary of the mayor's new senior advisor.

Ah, I see you were making a play on the Anti-Christmas Ben Isitt.  Well the good thing is that he is very much outnumbered when it comes to the Christmas Spirit among Victorians. But hey, at least we know Council member Young will not be voting to leave Christmas out of the city of Victoria.

#60 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:50 AM

It's a dark and dreary time of the year, so I am sure everyone will enjoy Ben Isitt's vision of being festive.

• The tourists will love that Christmas has been banned

• It isn't fair to have all that lighting when people are trying to sleep on the street

• It's too stimulating and causes too many smiles for children

• It confuses migrating Jewish birds

• Nparker and Mystic-Pizza like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users