BC's Sergeant-at-Arms and Clerk of the Legislative Assembly placed on leave

• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

#461 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:34 AM

The biggest indicator for me on how this is playing out is the fact that Wally Oppal bailed after 3 weeks.

Someone mentioned today on Adam Stirling’s show that because Opal was chosen by Plecas he couldn’t conduct the investigation and the retired judge was brought it.

Makes sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#462 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

Someone mentioned today on Adam Stirling’s show that because Opal was chosen by Plecas he couldn’t conduct the investigation and the retired judge was brought it.

Makes sense.

Oppal left long before it was decided to bring in someone to investigate.

• VIResident likes this

#463 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

A report on this matter is now complete: https://www.timescol...ndal-1.23809990

• VIResident likes this

#464 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

McLachlin’s report has been given to the house leaders, who will review it and receive legal advice before releasing it publicly. NDP house leader Mike Farnworth has said the report would be released to the public.

The report could help MLAs decide whether James and Lenz should remain suspended with pay or if they should be suspended without pay or fired.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#465 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

James found to have committed misconduct. He officially retired this morning. Lenz was cleared, but is still on paid leave for now.

• Nparker likes this

#466 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:04 AM

Ha ha, he didn't get punished for buying the wood splitter. LIttle weasel!

#467 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:45 AM

Ha ha, he didn't get punished for buying the wood splitter. LIttle weasel!

He may still be subject to some form of sanction, but apparently that doesn't include getting terminated from his position. Hard to understand without the benefit of reading the report.

The issue of the special vacation payouts doesn't seem to have been addressed.

#468 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

Former Chief Justice McLachlin's report also scolds Speaker Plecas for the way he handled the whole situation, conducting his own quasi-police investigation rather than performing his proper duties as administrator of the House.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#469 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:05 PM

You can now download a redacted version of the report.

https://bc.ctvnews.c...ature-1.4425528

#470 m3m

m3m
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

Link to report for those curious:

https://www.leg.bc.c...chlinReport.pdf

#471 m3m

m3m
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

Link to report for those curious:

https://www.leg.bc.c...chlinReport.pdf

Beat me to it. 

#472 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:46 PM

Former Chief Justice McLachlin's report also scolds Speaker Plecas for the way he handled the whole situation, conducting his own quasi-police investigation rather than performing his proper duties as administrator of the House.

but haven't other people who brought up these issues and questioned them been fired or let go?

#473 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

Yeah, I'm not too critical of Plecas since it really seems like there was no framework in place to deal with these types of issues.

Lots to be learned, most of the bigger things Plecas alleged against James were proven to be correct. It seems there wasn't enough proof for the smaller ones but it doesn't seem like Chief Justice McLachlin exonerated them either. Stuff that she thought was wrong but there were no defined procedures in place, for instance. If you're James, you know that what you were doing was ethically/morally wrong, but you did it anyway since you didn't think you would get caught.

• VIResident likes this

#474 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

The most flagrant misconduct here is definitely James giving himself a $250k retirement bonus to which he was not entitled. That is straight up theft of a huge chunk of public money. I hope he can be criminally charged for that one at least.

• lanforod likes this

#475 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:11 PM

so has CRA begun their investigation yet?  Could be a goldmine of uncollected income taxes for undeclared taxable benefits

#476 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, I'm not too critical of Plecas since it really seems like there was no framework in place to deal with these types of issues.

Lots to be learned, most of the bigger things Plecas alleged against James were proven to be correct. It seems there wasn't enough proof for the smaller ones but it doesn't seem like Chief Justice McLachlin exonerated them either. Stuff that she thought was wrong but there were no defined procedures in place, for instance. If you're James, you know that what you were doing was ethically/morally wrong, but you did it anyway since you didn't think you would get caught.

So basically what we said earlier, the lack of procedures does not amount to theft.

The question I have is how big is the cheque we are now going to have to write to Lenz for destroying his career

#477 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

So basically what we said earlier, the lack of procedures does not amount to theft.

Hopefully the bill he'll get from CRA for all of these 'should be taxable' benefits will soften the blow.

The question I have is how big is the cheque we are now going to have to write to Lenz for destroying his career

#478 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. The report literally concludes there was "improper removal and use of legislative assembly property" with respect to the alcohol & wood splitter. That's theft. "Misconduct in expense claims" regarding suits, luggage & insurance. Theft. "Misconduct by directing the creation of three personal benefits to his personal advantage outside of established protocols". Also theft.

There wasn't enough evidence re: the smaller items - the vacation payouts, office gifts & electronics purchases, mostly because there was lack of established policy. As a taxpayer, having someone expense $500 headphones doesn't seem to pass the smell test. Without a policy saying that it's not appropriate, there's little to contest, but that doesn't mean it wasn't de facto theft. Similarly, not enough evidence about those questionable trips (eg the one to Seattle for the ball game) but if I did that in my company you can bet I would be accused of theft. There's even a recommendation in the report to review these procedures.

• tedward likes this

#479 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:04 AM

I am inclined to agree re the speaker. If it weren't for his efforts, this thing wouldn't have come to light at all. And sure his approach was unorthodox, but I suspect any other approach would've been thwarted. Clearly the clerk was masterful at gaming the system, so a makeshift unorthodox investigation seems like the only way to do it.

#480 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

I am inclined to agree re the speaker. If it weren't for his efforts, this thing wouldn't have come to light at all. And sure his approach was unorthodox, but I suspect any other approach would've been thwarted. Clearly the clerk was masterful at gaming the system, so a makeshift unorthodox investigation seems like the only way to do it.

I think the lesson here might be "don't thwart the corruption of other politicians if you're not prepared to have your own corruption come to light".

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users