• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

#521 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

Plecas is far from a whistleblower.

I agree, though, that this whole situation is making a lot of people very uncomfortable as the man doesn’t care about procedure, he cares about getting to the bottom of something he believes is very wrong with the house of government.

The fireworks ain’t over. That’s for sure.
  • VIResident likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#522 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

"The Speaker also has extensive administrative and financial duties, being responsible for the overall direction and management of the House of Commons. Matters of administrative and financial policy affecting the House are overseen by the Board of Internal Economy, which is chaired by the Speaker. The management of the staff of the House of Commons falls under the Speaker, although the Clerk of the House and its senior officials generally manage them on a day-to-day basis. The Speaker oversees the premises of Parliament, as well as matters of security and policing within the parliamentary precincts. In addition, along with the Speaker of the Senate, the Speaker of the House of Commons oversees the direction and control of the Library of Parliament."

If I am an employer and I suspect my some of my employees are embezzling money from my clients and that others are colluding with them then I would contact the police, not simple give them a pink sheet. If the police then recommend I collect data and do nothing so that clear evidence can be collected I would follow that advice. 

#523 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:59 AM

Straight from the horse mouth: https://youtu.be/OQYRA1nyWwo

Edited by dasmo, 04 June 2019 - 10:00 AM.

#524 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

Sure doesn’t seem very confident, look at those hands and everything else wiggle. What type of ring is that?

Edited by todd, 04 June 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#525 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:14 PM

Sure doesn’t seem very confident, look at those hands and everything else wiggle. What type of ring is that?

You’re just a shill for the invertebrate lobby....

Edited by dasmo, 04 June 2019 - 12:32 PM.

• lanforod likes this

#526 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:09 PM

It should be noted that the interview clip was published on February 8th, 2019, well before the McLachlin report came down.

Not getting the result they wanted, the Speaker and his assistant pursued "investigations" and "due diligence" once again, notwithstanding that a police investigation was still underway.

Sorry, but we don't have an inquisitorial system of law with an investigating judge. We are supposed to leave criminal investigations to the police and whether charges are laid is up to crown attorneys. They could decide whether a forensic audit is required.

Everyone agrees that there were some strange things going on which needed to be stopped, but chasing down the perpetrators in this manner brings the whole system into disrepute.

• spanky123 likes this

#527 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:17 PM

You’re just a shill for the invertebrate lobby....

https://youtu.be/mijsuWEai_s

#528 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:43 PM

"Everyone agrees that there were some strange things going on which needed to be stopped, but chasing down the perpetrators in this manner brings the whole system into disrepute."

Seriously?  The whole system WAS in disrepute, past tense and still IS, not due to Plecas and furthermore, the political class..... classless. 

• dasmo likes this

#529 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:22 PM

Everyone agrees that there were some strange things going on which needed to be stopped, but chasing down the perpetrators in this manner brings the whole system into disrepute.

First of all I don't believe that "everyone" agrees but I would say "most everyone" would. One needs to make allowances for the odd wanker out there.

Let's put a private enterprise lens on this debacle for a moment.

If this were my business's money that purchased the wood splitter...and it didn't seem reasonable that one of my business's employees should have purchased one and kept it at their house for safe keeping...I would be pissed off. 

OK I'm sorry if I didn't have a policy that stated clearly that wood splitters should not be purchased for emergencies ...but hey I'm only human.

Now some other employees come forward and tell me ...that's not all your business's money has been spent on.

The first thing I would do is lock down every computer in the building. They belong to me. There is a policy that they not be used for personal communications. I want to review everyone's personal transactions that have been performed on my computer network.

Let's pretend for a moment that government employees are expected to behave in the same manner and expect the same scrutiny.

Is that unreasonable?

• Matt R., dasmo, VIResident and 1 other like this

#530 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:54 PM

....oh and let's not forget that Elsner would still be the Chief of Police if he had only thought clearly about using his computer at home instead of the one at work. 

• VIResident likes this

#531 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:56 PM

**BOOM** 

Legislature-review firm must send any criminal evidence to police

“...any information that is received during the course of the workplace review in relation to an alleged criminal act will be referred to the police,” documents say. “Alleged unauthorized use or misuse of Legislative Assembly funds will be forwarded to the Office of the Auditor General of British Columbia.”

It also said evidence of harassment or bullying would be dealt with.

https://www.timescol...lice-1.23875378

#532 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

New investigation launched into suspended B.C. legislature sergeant-at-arms Gary Lenz

https://globalnews.c...arms-new-probe/

B.C. Speaker of the House Darryl Plecas has launched a new investigation into suspended sergeant-at-arms Gary Lenz.

Edited by grantpalin, 15 July 2019 - 11:43 AM.

#533 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,792 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:29 AM

Work is underway on the replacement of the over 100-year-old driveway in front of the B.C. legislature. The concrete, laid in 1910, became uneven over the years and has been removed.

this is long past due.  but is it just going to be plain concrete or asphalt?  no change to make it something more special interesting or decorative?

https://www.timescol...aced-1.23938944

#534 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:37 PM

B.C. sergeant-at-arms Gary Lenz resigns days before Police Act investigation to be released

Embattled B.C. legislature sergeant-at-arms Gary Lenz has resigned.

One of the two men at the centre of the spending scandal at the legislature has stepped aside effective Tuesday.

“The Honourable Darryl Plecas, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly, announced today that Gary Lenz, Sergeant-at-Arms of the Legislative Assembly, has retired from his position, effective October 1, 2019,” a statement from the B.C. Legislature reads.

“The Sergeant-at-Arms is appointed pursuant to the provisions of the Constitution Act. The Legislative Assembly will undertake steps to appoint a successor to this position.”

In a statement, Lenz says her resigned with ‘sincere regret’ and says it has ‘been a privilege to serve the people of British Columbia’ since 2009.

“I have carried out my duties for the people of British Columbia with the utmost integrity and am proud of the many initiatives that have been put in place during my time as Sergeant-at-Arms,” the statement reads’

“However, I no longer believe that I can continue to work for the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia. After considerable reflection, I have concluded that the damage that has been done to my reputation will never be fully repaired, and that if I continued as Sergeant at Arms, I would be doing a disservice to my office.”

Global News has learned that Lenz has now seen a copy of an investigation done by former Vancouver deputy police chief Doug LePard. LePard’s investigation looked into allegations Lenz had broken the rules under the provincial Police Act.

Both Speaker Darryl Plecas and his chief of staff Alan Mullen told reporters last week that the findings of the investigation will soon be released to the public.

#535 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

Where is the log splitter today? Can it be viewed on the grounds?

#536 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:07 PM

Former legislature clerk Craig James charged with fraud and breach of trust.

https://www.cheknews...ust-726950/?amp
  • johnk2 likes this

#537 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:14 PM

Former legislature clerk Craig James charged with fraud and breach of trust.

https://www.cheknews...ust-726950/?amp

Everyone who doubted Plecas will hereby be spanked with the ceremonial mace.

#538 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:16 PM

And there we have it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#539 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:14 PM

If convicted it'll be a suspended sentence at most.

#540 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:11 PM

The case will go on forever and then be dismissed.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users