Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:37 PM

Here's an article about the railing decision from last year:

https://www.timescol...wall-1.23910436

#122 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:39 PM

From the article:

"A staff report concluded that it would be 2.5 times more expensive to retain and refurbish the old railing than it would be to install a modern steel and wire-cable design at a cost of about $1 million."

They also think the new design improves accessibility by leaving more sidewalk space.

#123 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

I think the City managed to get about a foot of extra space from the new railing system.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#124 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:50 PM

I will really miss the old railing. When well-maintained, it was quite elegant. We took a walk on Sunday to see the new one.If a replacement was needed, surely they could have come up with something with some beauty, perhaps incorporated sea creatures in some design. I also feel, although I'm not generally bothered by heights, that I wouldn't wish to walk to close to this new railing to admire the view. It seems very insubstantial and I think the lack of security would make me feel dizzy.

A fellow who phoned Adam Stirling yesterday said he'd asked the city workers what their feelings were about the new one and they said "we're not allowed to say". I had heard last year that some said there really wasn't a need for a replacement. Can City Council muzzle every worker for ever?

Edited by mbjj, 15 July 2020 - 05:52 PM.

#125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:49 PM

...Can City Council muzzle every worker for ever?

If not forever, at least through October 2022.

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:23 AM

Remember the brouhaha over the Fairfield wall on Vancouver at Burdett?

When it’s someone else’s time and money the heritage preservationists will rally. When it’s the city replacing an iconic part of Victoria’s waterfront with a bland railing you’ll see just about everywhere in the world, it’s approved and celebrated.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#127 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:59 AM

Good call about walls (and railings and fences). Sometimes these walls are obviously special and sometimes they're obviously not special. But unfortunately there seems to be no rhyme or reason for making the determination. We've exposed such inconsistent attitudes many times re: buildings and architectural elements and trees and other things, so we might as well mention walls and railings, too.

#128 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:03 AM

Is there really anybody left who still thinks Victoria is all about commitment to preservation, hardcore resistance to change, keeping things frozen in time, etc.? It's the biggest crock of crap ever. It's been a crock of crap for the past 60 years at least.

#129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:07 AM

I still think Victoria demonstrates hardcore resistance to change and keeping things frozen in time; it's just very flexible as to what those things are.

#130 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

The acid test is always the same: if Victorians are all about preservation and resistance to change but they're constantly ripping stuff out like crazy, then what would be happening if Victorians didn't give a damn about preservation? They would be ripping stuff out like crazy.

If Victorians are all about green space and nature but they trash and disrespect their city parks like crazy, then what would be happening if Victorians didn't give a damn about green space? They would be trashing their city parks like crazy.

If Victorians are all about heritage restoration but they battle heritage restoration like crazy, then what would be happening if Victorians didn't give a damn about heritage restoration? They would be battling heritage restoration like crazy.

It should be a huge red flag when we claim we're pinned to one end of the spectrum (the holy and noble end) but everything that we do would be just as applicable to the other end of the spectrum (the chaotic evil end).

Why do we cheer for war? Because we're humanitarians. Same BS.

#131 m3m

m3m
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

Somebody on reddit posted a good picture of the new barrier:

oswbwb343ac51.jpg?width=4029&format=pjpg

• lanforod, todd and E2V like this

#132 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:08 PM

Pretty much the definition of "utilitarian". 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#133 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:00 AM

Well, it certainly opens up the view lines out into the Straight, but is hardly anything of architectural value that would inspire folks 75 years from now as much as the now gone "blue" wall inspired people these past few months.

Despite the mistaken belief that logs and debris constantly banged up against the old seawall in storms (it didn't), and thus will destroy this wall in the first big storm ... the reality is that most of us will be long dead by the time this "seawall" gets torn down by some futuristic COV Council who feels they can do it better than those who came before them.

Meanwhile, this seawall will become the reality our kids grow up with, as much as the blue seawall was the reality that we all grew up with.

#134 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:07 AM

As long as it doesn't rust and corrode, I think it's fine.

• sebberry likes this

#135 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

Utilitarian it may be, but at least it's (mostly) see through.

#136 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:55 PM

How bland it is.

#137 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:30 PM

I think it works well as a continuation of the railings on the breakwater. They're fine. I like the unobstructed view. I don't go to Dallas road to look at railings.

• sebberry, grantpalin and Brantastic like this

#138 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:47 PM

I don't go to Dallas road to look at railings.

Well then, get off this forum.

• Danma and Victoria Watcher like this

#139 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

Well then, get off this forum.

It's about time someone spoke up against Big Railing

• aastra, Rob Randall, sebberry and 2 others like this

#140 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:02 PM

I never thought I'd see such railing accusations on this board.

• sebberry and Danma like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users