Photo

Boom + Batten | Victoria International Marina | Cooperage Place at Westsong Walkway

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:11 AM

To add to the frustration, every major indecision by the current council will eventually filter down to the climate crisis.

“We chose not to pursue X, because the climate crisis presents a challenge we must overcome. Our bike lane network, our changes to the car-dominated landscape of downtown, plus more affordable housing, have been our top priorities given the crisis facing the earth, and one that requires us to drive less while living closer to where we work.”

Calgary has a director of walking (or a similarly-named made-in-the-21st-century position). Where’s ours?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:31 AM

we also have about the lamest “public market” anyone has ever been to.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 June 2019 - 06:31 AM.

#103 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:12 AM

I'm looking forward to trying the place out. I can see it from across the harbour in James Bay. After that huge mystery yacht leaves, I'll head on over.

The coast is clear.   :lol:

BTW, it's starting to look like a real marina.  Counted 10 boats/yachts.

48104049433_9e1d6cb68d_k.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#104 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:38 PM

Not so fast it seems Gary. Tried to get a reso for Saturday...no decent times left. Now a new yacht has taken the slip in front of the B&B again. :confused:

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

It’s not that bad. The yachts parked along the frontage add to the allure of the place. I went there with my mum on Friday and she loved seeing Aviva docked out front. She was over the moon by the place and as a Vic West resident she glad to have another dining option minutes from home.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#106 songheesguy

songheesguy
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

Yes, it's $37.

For comparison, Cafe Brio's excellent halibut dish is $34, and Il Terrazzo's halibut is $32. 

I always get the Halibut at Il Terazzo and it is twice the size and amazing so I will try something that looks a bit larger on the portion size. Thanks for sharing these pics. A couple friends of mine went and enjoyed it but did say the prices were up there for portion size and cocktails were pricey but YOLO and it's a short stroll home after.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#107 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

^ I'd compare Boom + Batten to Cardero's in Vancouver, where the halibut is also $37 coincidentally

#108 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:46 PM

So to sum up it's more for those who can afford the big yachts parked out front and less for the ordinary Joe - is that about right?

• Matt R. likes this

#109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:48 PM

ordinary joe can afford $37 on occasion.
  • Matt R. likes this

#110 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:34 PM

Never thought I'd see the day when a decent meal at a decent restaurant would cost a bit of money.

• Matt R. and Greg like this

#111 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

Their pizzas are about 10% more than Boston Pizza. It's an up-scale place but not unaffordable.

#112 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

Sam Harris already has a well earned culinary reputation. He’s chef’d at two top 10 (nationally) restaurants in Victoria the last few years.
Matt.

So we finally made it here last night. Funny story. I forgot it was our anniversary yesterday AGAIN so I scrambled at the last minute with the Open Table app and the dinning room was booked solid. A quick direct phone call however changed that where they set aside a spot in the “ Sunset Room” read cafe area. The view was still fantastic.

We went for the simple charcuterie and salad fare. The unexpected delightful part was when Sam Harris delivered them to our table himself. He then proceeded to explain something about every cheese and type of meat and where they came from and all sorts of tidbits of information.

We then went on to discuss some people that we both know, and by the time all that was over I realized that we had been blown away by a rather exciting encounter. That experience alone was worth the price of admission, but coupled with the cheerful upbeat exchanges with our wait person, Sophie, it just kept getting better.

This establishment (in my opinion) is well deserving of the much coveted “Three Thumbs Up” award. Any eatery that can be forward thinking enough to have a DJ setting the tone with “Buddha Bar” style background tunes, staff that make you feel more at home than home does, and a visual setting that is to die for....deserves the extra thumb.
  • Mike K., Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#113 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:54 AM

We went last month. Overall a good experience but one of our dishes, a cauliflower appetizer, was soft and bland and it was substituted quickly with a superior dish without question. Our pleasant server forgot one of our other dishes but by that time we were happily satisfied. Some unevenness but hopefully these issues have been ironed out since.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#114 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:27 AM

Brunch at The Boom today. Wonderful wait person Teneel is fabulous.

Delightful.

DEEFF495-C652-4E1E-96E3-8E8031E54A44.jpeg

#115 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

Brunch at The Boom today. Wonderful wait person Teneel is fabulous....

Yes, but how was The Captain?

• Matt R. and RoadRunner like this

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

This place is getting so busy now that during peak dining periods a reservation is highly recommended.

Know it all.

#117 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

It was packed. We got lucky with the timing.

#118 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:25 PM

Big event coming up at Boom, featuring some top local talent.

Peter Zambri, Sam Harris, Brad Holmes (Olo), Robert Cassels (Saveur), Kristian Eligh (Top Table group), and Brian Tesolin and Chris Klassen (Courtney Room). Those are some serious chefs in one room.

https://www.eventbri...ets-67647432291

Matt.

#119 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:52 PM

The spousal unit and myself had opportunity to try B+B this past Tuesday.
We set out for an afternoon stroll from James Bay to the Westbay Marina via the Songhees Walkway, and stopped in to enquire about a reservation.
When none was available for our preferred time we elected a walk-in around 6:30-ish.
Were offered a choice of bar seating or a table for two, and selected the latter.
The table was right behind the host counter, which oddly enough in a vast array of glass wall, was a wood panelled area.
Nonetheless, the view across the restaurant afforded decent views, including the MV Coho gliding silently by.
While we enjoyed our experience, I am at risk of being booked for dissent, as our choice of dishes had room for improvement.
I started with the Albacore Tuna Ceviche, and was underwhelmed. A good ceviche should be zesty, uplifting, and well... vibrant. This one was not, being limey and slightly avocado like, although that may have been the impression from the colour. Swing and a miss.
Not sure why I bother with ceviche in any place not located in Mexico.
My wife ordered the Confit Chicken Thigh, being heavily influenced by her love of the Duck Leg Confit served at Hardware Grill in Edmonton, where we have dined for 20+ years. (If you’re in E-town, the Grill is consistently excellent)
The Confit Chicken Thigh, taken as a whole with the accompanying items was good.
The chicken itself unfortunately was not rendered to a higher plane, as the confit process should accomplish. Perhaps asking too much, but the rendering should infuse more flavour into the thigh meat.
My mains choice was a pizza, something I rarely indulge in since we both went to a gluten-free diet years ago. But, I had a hankering, and selected the Roasted Vegetable pie. I enjoyed it, with the caveat that most (all?) GF crusts are rather dry and lifeless. The toppings were good and reasonably abundant.
Wrapping up this somewhat long winded review, the service was very good, value I found to be good, and the wine list had many interesting choices. (I was disappointed they were out of the Sea Star “Salish Sea” white, but I understand the winery sells every drop made in no time)
Notwithstanding the superb view options, the room is a success, does not feel pretentious, and has effective sound control through the use of angled suspended ceiling tile.
Well done, and it’s not likely they have hit their stride yet in the 3-odd months since inception.
  • Mike K. and rjag like this

#120 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:21 AM

That's a big walk, from James Bay to West Bay. I assume you took the water taxi back to FW? 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users