APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#421 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:08 AM

^that's quite unfortunate. Hopefully this can be turned around.

Towers-upwards-of-32-storeys-now-envisioned-for-Harris-Green-Village-dev-following-massing-shuffle.jpg

A rendering depicting new density massing of Starlight Developments' Harris Green Village project along the 900 (pictured) and 1000-blocks of Yates and View streets. The proposal, which could yield nearly 1,600 rental apartments within five towers, has shuffled residential density from its podium components by reducing podium heights and allocating more density within towers. The tallest, at-centre, would rise to 32-storey if approved. To its right is a 28-storey tower at Yates and Quadra streets, and a 27-storey tower (at left) at Vancouver Street. Two additional towers are planned between Yates and View streets at Cook Street at heights of 19 and 21-storeys.

Towers as high as 32-storeys now envisioned for Harris Green Village dev following massing shuffle

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#422 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:17 AM

The Quadra Street tower looks a bid wide-ish to me in the above rendering. The podiums could probably use a bit more distinctiveness, but it's an improvement on the images we have seen to date. Overall, an amazing transformation from the existing Harris Green Village.

#423 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:21 AM

32 stories?  At those astronomical heights I worry about space junk, solar winds, and radiation belts 

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#424 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:29 AM

I will look forward to all the hysterics on local FB groups about how "MY Victoria is being destroyed!" and "typical greedy developers!!!!!' and my personal favorite "...........we're looking like mini-Vancouver!!!!!!!!!!!" once these renderings get out into the public realm, lol. Buying extra popcorn in anticipation of the hilarious and vastly overblown comments guaranteed to ensue.......

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#425 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:36 AM

...Buying extra popcorn in anticipation of the hilarious and vastly overblown comments guaranteed to ensue...

:muching_out: 
I've already got my snacks and beverages at hand for the coming dramatics.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#426 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:01 AM

The Quadra Street tower looks a bid wide-ish to me in the above rendering. The podiums could probably use a bit more distinctiveness, but it's an improvement on the images we have seen to date. Overall, an amazing transformation from the existing Harris Green Village.

I think the angle of the rendering is also hiding that the middle tower is likely the same width. I agree, a bit too wide.

#427 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:14 AM

I think the angle of the rendering is also hiding that the middle tower is likely the same width. I agree, a bit too wide.

Yes, I thought that as well, but at 32 floors, the "excess" width of the central tower will be less apparent.

#428 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:33 AM

Yes, I thought that as well, but at 32 floors, the "excess" width of the central tower will be less apparent.

Oh good, then we both have the same solution. Make the towers taller. 40 and 46 should do it.

• Nparker likes this

#429 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

...Make the towers taller. 40 and 46 should do it.

It's never a bad idea to request far more height than you hope to achieve when building tall in the CoV.

#430 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:31 AM

This is what I’m seeing:

“This isn't a one horse town anymore. This is the price of growth and development. If you want a small town and no towers, there's always Duncan or Nanaimo.”

“To grow up to be a great city, we need to grow upwards. Increased density allows for more people, more businesses, more tax payers, more diversity. It decreases the need for cars, and adds to the vibrant heart of downtown.”

“Building heights should be maximized provided there are sufficient underground parking spaces provided.”

And there’s this guy: “Just sitting back waiting for the inevitable and completely hysterical, not to mention wildly inaccurate ".....we'll look just like mini-Vancouver!!!!" comment. Should be any time now.......”
  • Nparker, Matt R., grantpalin and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#431 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:56 AM

That rendering makes me think this is an actual "Vancouver-esque" project. Multiple glassy skyscrapers sitting on podiums with fair separation between each tower. 

More projects like this and maybe DT Victoria can have the hustle and bustle of Metrotown.

#432 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:13 PM

.And there’s this guy: “Just sitting back waiting for the inevitable and completely hysterical, not to mention wildly inaccurate ".....we'll look just like mini-Vancouver!!!!" comment...

Mini-Vancouver was exactly the response someone posted to my Facebook page when I shared the Citified article. Oi vey.  :whyme:

• Mike K. likes this

#433 aastra

aastra
  • 20,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:15 PM

For the type of project that it is, it's pretty decent. But considering how large this development is, why do both podiums need to have the same flavour? Same height, same basic look and feel, same colours?

Some people still don't get it. Long & wide monotony and repetition is the real vibe killer. Even if the overall esthetic is decent and the ground floor is urban-format & pedestrian-friendly, repeating the same thing for a long stretch is never a good idea. While you're walking along or even while you're just standing there looking at the complex, you want and expect a fair bit of variety and granularity.

• Brantastic likes this

#434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:17 PM

But by the same token, one downtown block in Victoria is the size of a single office tower’s footprint in a larger city. As in, the design at that scale at the ground level isn’t a problem even when it’s the length of a whole block.

Know it all.

#435 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

Mini-Vancouver was exactly the response someone posted to my Facebook page when I shared the Citified article. Oi vey.  :whyme:

I find it mildly amusing many Victorians use comparisons to Vancouver in a derogatory way, specially in an urbanization context. How can this region elect Green politicians and yet consistently scoff at crucial components of a low-carbon society like density, public transit and bike lanes? 

• zoomer and Brantastic like this

#436 aastra

aastra
  • 20,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:36 PM

Put it another way: an interesting downtown (or any decent urban district) is about many different things all coming together. If one big complex injects a massive dose of one flavour, it can be a killer. That's why those big convention center projects and cultural center projects back in the misguided urban destruction renewal era tended to be so harmful. I'm not saying today's projects botch the fundamentals the way those old projects did. Obviously they do a better job nowadays. But the potential to introduce too much of one thing still remains.

FYI: That block of Yates is considerably larger than (for example) the average block in downtown Vancouver:

London Drugs block in downtown Victoria: 195 meters x 82 meters
Nordstrom block in downtown Vancouver: 160 meters x 82 meters

Edited by aastra, 15 July 2021 - 12:31 PM.

#437 aastra

aastra
  • 20,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:41 PM

Anyway, I'm getting the impression that you wouldn't be seeing the exact same thing as you walk around each face of this complex. That's good, they've done a decent job with it. But why couldn't the two podiums look like two entirely different buildings? They're separated at ground level, so why not do it?

• Brantastic likes this

#438 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:49 PM

This is what I’m seeing:

“This isn't a one horse town anymore. This is the price of growth and development. If you want a small town and no towers, there's always Duncan or Nanaimo.”

“To grow up to be a great city, we need to grow upwards. Increased density allows for more people, more businesses, more tax payers, more diversity. It decreases the need for cars, and adds to the vibrant heart of downtown.”

“Building heights should be maximized provided there are sufficient underground parking spaces provided.”

And there’s this guy: “Just sitting back waiting for the inevitable and completely hysterical, not to mention wildly inaccurate ".....we'll look just like mini-Vancouver!!!!" comment. Should be any time now.......”

Yeah clearly that last guy doesn't know what he's talking about - he should be taken out and flogged. I'll see myself out the door and administer the punishment myself.... :)

You are also looking at the responses on the VV FB page; just wait until CHEK or some other non-VV affiliated site posts this info then watch the comments fly....

• Nparker likes this

#439 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:57 PM

Just teasing, ASE. I was surprised by the relatively positive feedback so far. Traditionally topics like this have echoed the sentiments you referred to.

Something that I find so disappointing is the 20-years that were spent limiting new construction to 15-storeys. Now that Victoria has matured into taller buildings a huge swath of the modern city has towers in the 12-15-storey range, and they look ridiculously short by comparison to the new generation of massing.

Know it all.

#440 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:58 PM

Post it to the Old Victoria group and see what happens
  • AllseeingEye likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)