PROPOSED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#401 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:13 PM

Regents Towers are in decent shape last I heard. They were built with a slightly different and technology (one resident told me it was a near miracle) so that the remediation they had a decade or so ago was relatively minor.

#402 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:17 AM

Flipping through the plans, it appears that on the level 7 roof there private patios assigned to certain units. Has this been done on other buildings? Hopefully they will be well utilised, otherwise it may have been better to have them a shared amenity with reservation system.

Also worth noting that Hapa Collaborative is the Landscape Architect, the same firm doing Peter Pollen Park.

Capture.PNG

• Nparker likes this

#403 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:04 AM

510-unit-Harris-Green-Village-redev-plans-signal-boost-of-confidence-for-Victoria's-post-COVID-strategy.jpg

Harris Green Village rezoning application signals boost of confidence for Victoria's post-COVID strategy

https://victoria.cit...covid-strategy/

Mark Chemij, Starlight’s Director of Development, says the company's decision to submit an application and move forward with the project is based on the historic resiliency of the B.C. Capital, and the post-2020 fundamentals he and his team believe are in place to aid in the south Island's economic recovery. 

“The strength of Victoria from a socio-economic perspective, and the region’s many qualities that continue to elevate it among Canadian cities, has underpinned our confidence that this is a great community in which to focus our efforts,” Chemij said. 

“We’re certainly not the only community builder to feel this way, and when you take into account the multitude of factors at-play in Victoria, the long term future for this city appears to be on a positive path.”

• Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and 2F2R like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#404 Nparker

Nparker
  • 31,879 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:06 AM

Do we imagine the project will proceed without much alteration from the current renderings or is it likely significant changes will still be made?

#405 Nparker

Nparker
  • 31,879 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:10 AM

Ideally, I'd like to see a bit more variation in the podium at least along the Yates Street side. It's not bad, but I think it could use some tweaking to break up some of the strong horizontal feel.

• gstc84 and Brantastic like this

#406 Nparker

Nparker
  • 31,879 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:27 AM

Do we know if there is a plan to preserve the large trees (horse chestnuts I think) along Cook Street?

#407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 69,398 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:40 AM

Regarding the trees, that's a tough one as typically these trees must come down for line of sight by the crane operators/crews.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#408 Nparker

Nparker
  • 31,879 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:43 AM

Yeah I suspect the trees will have to go.

#409 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:14 PM

Do we know if there is a plan to preserve the large trees (horse chestnuts I think) along Cook Street?

Landscape Plan indicates that the 4 existing trees in the Cook Street boulevard are to be retained and protected. 4 trees in each of the Yates and View frontages are to be removed and replaced as part of the boulevard and sidewalk construction works.

• Mike K. and Kapten Kapsell like this

#410 Nparker

Nparker
  • 31,879 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:33 PM

Landscape Plan indicates that the 4 existing trees in the Cook Street boulevard are to be retained and protected...

:thumbsup:

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#411 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:30 AM

T-C article on this development:  https://www.timescol...tial-1.24158597

#412 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:46 AM

harris green.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#413 Nparker

Nparker
  • 31,879 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:54 AM

It's nice to see the oval "tower" next to Jukebox in the above rendering.

• gstc84 and DavidSchell like this

#414 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:03 AM

I'm disappointed in that it looks like the same tower podium configuration we're seen all over Downtown and I'd hoped that Harris Green would remain a visually distinct neighbourhood by arranging the same density in a shorter massing.

I just don't think 32-storey towers is a good direction.

• yellow_baron likes this

#415 Nparker

Nparker
  • 31,879 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:15 AM

... I'd hoped that Harris Green would remain a visually distinct neighbourhood by arranging the same density in a shorter massing...

Distinct in the sense that no new building should be taller than 17 floors? Distinct such that nothing is ever taller than View Towers since it is an architectural masterpiece the views of which must be protected at all costs? 

I think taller slimmer towers are the way to go in Harris Green. This can be the neighbourhood's distinction.

• AllseeingEye and DavidSchell like this

#416 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 921 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

I'm good with 30+ storey buildings for this site, but really don't like the podiums. They're just two chunky blocks that look essentially identical to each other (and very similar to the one they plan for the Chrysler dealership), with little variation in the facade to break up the monotony of it. 

#417 Nparker

Nparker
  • 31,879 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:28 PM

I hope as this project evolves more individual identities for the podiums and towers will emerge.

#418 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:38 PM

This was redesigned last week as per the letter on Dev Tracker: https://tender.victo...130143321572752

#419 Nparker

Nparker
  • 31,879 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:19 PM

This was redesigned last week as per the letter on Dev Tracker...

"...Podium massing is shaped to address the street and provide sunlight into residential courtyards. Podium heights have been adjusted and decreased in height from 4-6 storeys, to 3-5 storeys, with the 5th floor significantly set back from the lower podium. Use of different exterior materials and colours on the 5th floor will serve to further reduce its visual prominence and to ensure its compatible relationship to the street. Digital 3D models have been prepared to illustrate podium height-to-street width ratios and these compare favourably with the downtown design guidelines. While the number of storeys in each tower have increased in the updated plans by transferring floor-space removed from the podium levels to the towers, the slender and elegant towers and relationship between the towers punctuate the block at strategic locations. The siting of the towers optimizes solar performance in the public realm and contribute to Victoria’s skyline. The tallest building is 32 storeys located in the center of the 900-block site, terracing down to two additional towers at being 28 and 27 storeys. The 1000- block contains two towers, 21 storeys and a lower 19 storey building closer to Cook Street.

The analysis has determined that taller, slender towers best-fit the site, and reduce shadow, wind, and sightline impacts. The positive outcomes of this approach are increased sky views and facades that define and vitalize the streets while minimizing shadow casting..."

https://tender.victo...130143321572752

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#420 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:42 PM

Friggin BC Hydro is responsible for so much visual clutter and ugliness throughout downtown. The above ground electrical boxes which end up tagged and the telephone poles.. why do they get the final call?

Quoting Starlight from KK’s link above:

“ BC Hydro have conveyed a reluctance to consider permanent underground wiring. Like many of the new projects Downtown, during construction, wiring may be temporarily placed underground in front of the developing street frontage for safety reasons but is re-established above ground once the project is complete. It is anticipated the same practices will apply during the phasing of this project. Ultimately that decision rests with BC Hydro.”
  • Rob Randall and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users