APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#541 yellow_baron

yellow_baron
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 03:34 PM

That's fair - should've dug into the developer before asking. Looked though their previous developments and looks like they have a healthy portfolio of purpose built rental communities, which bodes well here

#542 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 03:36 PM

That's fair - should've dug into the developer before asking. Looked though their previous developments and looks like they have a healthy portfolio of purpose built rental communities, which bodes well here

they certainly do.  and obtained through acquisition and by building.  

• yellow_baron likes this

#543 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:21 AM

Thanks Mr. E Squirrel for the heads-up!

It looks like the first phase of the redevelopment of Harris Green Village is moving ahead smoothly, with the new Harris dealership now under construction.

Downtown-Victoria's-Harris-auto-dealership-starts-construction-on-Islands-largest-vehicle-showroom-in-Langford.jpg

Downtown Victoria's Harris auto dealership starts construction on new digs next to Lowe's on the West Shore

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#544 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:32 AM

20-and-21-storey-first-phase-of-Harris-Green-Village-redevelopment-targeting-late-2021-approvals.jpg

A rendering of Harris Green Village's first phase, comprised of two rental residential towers and a multi-storey podium with ground floor retail spaces, on Yates Street at Cook Street. The project's second phase is planned for the 900-block of Yates Street between Vancouver and Quadra streets.

20 and 21-storey first phase of Harris Green Village redevelopment targeting late 2021 approvals

https://victoria.cit...2021-approvals/

• Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and yellow_baron like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#545 yellow_baron

yellow_baron
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:42 AM

Hadn't noticed the balconies before - really like how they've staggered them. Also good to see some additional details on timing:

"Pending municipal approvals for Starlight’s submission, site preparation along 1045 Yates Street will begin in late 2021. Following the completion of phase one the larger phase two, Chemij says, will proceed where landmark retailers London Drugs, The Market on Yates and Bosley’s currently operate. "

"

“We anticipate the construction timeline for phase one to span approximately three years, with phase two's three residential towers, a public plaza, and ground floor commercial spaces commencing afterwards.”"

"“We anticipate the construction timeline for phase one to span approximately three years, with phase two's three residential towers, a public plaza, and ground floor commercial spaces commencing afterwards.”

#546 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:43 AM

It’s looking good, isn’t it? The refinements have come a long way.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.

#547 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:49 AM

Will London Drugs, Market on Yates, and Bosleys move into the commercial spaces of phase 1 upon completion of this phase?  I imagine they may thrive a couple of blocks east of their current location...

• zoomer likes this

#548 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:56 AM

Will London Drugs, Market on Yates, and Bosleys move into the commercial spaces of phase 1 upon completion of this phase? ...

That would seem like a logical move.

#549 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:43 PM

It would definitely make sense for them to transition into the 1000-block, if they plan to remain in downtown Victoria, even temporarily while the 900-block is redeveloped.

Know it all.

#550 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:27 PM

It would definitely make sense for them to transition into the 1000-block, if they plan to remain in downtown Victoria, even temporarily while the 900-block is redeveloped.

I think that both Market on Yates and London Drugs intend to stay in the downtown area, and if they move over to the 1000 block then they are also going to be super close to Fernwood, Rockland, and Fairfield as well.  I wouldn't be surprised if Starlight offers them a favourable lease rate in the 1000 block as having those retailers in the building would certainly help attract/retain residential tenants...

• Nparker likes this

#551 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

There wouldn't be enough space for both LD and MoY. There are two commercial units in the proposed building for Cook at Yates - 3,557 sq ft and 24,119 sq ft. So, potentially one of the two moves into the 24,119 sq ft unit. I would guess MoY. 

• Mike K. likes this

#552 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:26 PM

Right, and there’s about 70,000 sq ft in the 900-block component.

Know it all.

#553 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:59 AM

They both have to stay. Otherwise what's the point. "Oh, please let us wreck your vital village centre".

#554 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:03 AM

if your idea of a happy village is shopping the overpriced MoY or going to London Drugs for some SPF 30 then going back home you live a sad life.

I used to like London drugs for their electronics but that’s been well supplanted by online services now.

also because they have that one female clerk at customer service that’s been there 20+ years and has never seemed to age.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 May 2021 - 11:07 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#555 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:09 AM

Guess what: not everyone liked shopping at the Wellburn's clearance rack like you.

#556 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

I love going to MoY. It’s not the only grocer I shop at, but I find that their meats are above-average (and I can usually get the exact quantity of a meat I need from the butchers on staff) and they carry a lot of unique and hard to find products.

London Drugs is great for many items and they are typically cheaper than Shoppers Drug Mart (unless it’s on sale at SDM)…
  • Nparker, gstc84 and Redd42 like this

#557 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:38 AM

The butchers there are pretty good, for sure. As seen some staff switch over to the Langford store as they got older.

Know it all.

#558 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 02:26 PM

I liked shopping at the MoY for their fresh products. I bought meat and fruits based on flyer pricing and it was just fine.

#559 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 02:38 PM

I live around the corner and love the convenience of MoY - and agreed that their meat section is unparalleled outside of a dedicated butchery. Tons of products you can't get elsewhere, though that has the downside of getting attached to new products that they may only carry for a few months. The bakery is also excellent. I do most of my "big" grocery runs at Save-On on Pandora, or Superstore in Langford, but will pop in and grab $20-30 worth of stuff at MoY at least a few times a week.

London Drugs is essential - far superior to Shoppers in just about every way. I also depend on the Harris Green Bosley's (only pet store downtown) and regularly frequent Cob's and Dolce Vita cafe (Tony makes the best latte in the city, imo). A reimagining of this area is definitely needed but I really hope there's space for all the businesses to continue operating in some way/place. 

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#560 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 02:55 PM

no love for pizza hut?

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users