APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#581 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 01:14 PM

...Why would the city cap one at 17 and allow 32 across the street?...

Why not? Don't punish the new developer for the cowardice of the previous developer.

• sdwright.vic and qv like this

#582 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 01:25 PM

Why does it need to be 32 storeys? What is wrong with 20-25? Unit count? Allow them To build a 20 story building with an 8,500 SF floor plate. That makes a more cost effective building which can charge lower rents.
I think height should be gradual step up/down.
I’d completely support 20-25 stories. I think 32 is too high. We will have a cheap looking 32 story rental tower dominating the skyline for years.
  • Victoria Watcher and yellow_baron like this

#583 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 01:27 PM

Why not? Don't punish the new developer for the cowardice of the previous developer.

I don’t think the Firehall rezone and density transfer would be called cowardice. Lol. Ask your mates at the DRA if they felt those guys asked for too little.
I recall that being a bit of a slog.
But again. That’s not 17-25. Doubling the height almost.
I don’t think it will look good plain and simple.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#584 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 01:34 PM

...I think 32 is too high. We will have a cheap looking 32 story rental tower dominating the skyline for years.

And I don't. Why will it be cheap looking?

#585 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 01:41 PM

Economics

#586 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 02:03 PM

I’d completely support 20-25 stories. I think 32 is too high. We will have a cheap looking 32 story rental tower dominating the skyline for years.

30 to 32 is fine with me, we already have a few in the 20 to 25 range and their will be many more in the coming years, so a couple in the 32 range will help offset going back to the flat top look we were famous for. 

• Nparker, Victoria Guy and Victoria Watcher like this

#587 n_eclipse

n_eclipse
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:56 PM

My one issue for the building being so high is where does it stop? People will always want to build "the highest building in Victoria." Huge advertisement for HP1 when it was being built. There will always be competition for that if they keep accepting taller buildings, and I think would ruin the non sky scraper vibe Victoria is known for.

• Rob Randall and yellow_baron like this

#588 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:46 PM

Vic West is already targeted to get taller buildings than what’s in downtown Victoria. I suspect 30-40 floors in the 2020s is going to be the social and political impact of 15-20 of the 90s.
  • DavidSchell and qv like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#589 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:58 PM

So why not have every plot of land pre-zoned for 32 storeys? Heck, let's go 40, 50! Do we really want that?

But I realize there's a contingent here that thinks you should be able to build absolutely anything anywhere.

• rmpeers likes this

#590 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 06 June 2021 - 08:07 PM

I say we test out the 30 to low 40s along Douglas Street from Bay to Uptown. It’s a bit of a lost cause currently; let’s see if they can build a desirable urban experience there and not another Metrotown high rise clumping. As for Harris Green, I don’t mind some 25s sprinkled in, and instead of twin 17’s, a 21 and 13. Jumble it up, avoid similar height buildings next to one another as much as possible, throw in the odd 6 or 9 storey.

Edited by zoomer, 06 June 2021 - 08:08 PM.

#591 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 09:19 PM

So why not have every plot of land pre-zoned for 32 storeys? Heck, let's go 40, 50! Do we really want that?

But I realize there's a contingent here that thinks you should be able to build absolutely anything anywhere.

I think the contingent just views the plans and zoning restrictions as 10 years out of date when they’re adopted, and ten years on they’re out of sync with reality.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#592 ventilatte

ventilatte
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 10:54 PM

Yes, I do at least. It's the downtown core of the city, what's wrong with tall buildings downtown (as long as they are decent quality)? 

I would much prefer if everything was zoned to 40 stories rather than the 10-15 or whatever it currently is. 

• Nparker likes this

#593 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:49 AM

I'd prefer if most of the city was zoned for 4-6 stories than have to lean on skyscrapers for housing supply. Alas, that is not happening so might as well build up density in the, well, dense areas. 

• qv and yellow_baron like this

#594 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:23 AM

European cities like Paris and Barcelona have very large swaths of very dense 10-12 storey buildings. They did largely raze those parts of the cities to build but quite significant density can be achieved with lower buildings. A lot of that impetus in those places was to maintain the dominance of cathedrals and other significant buildings in those cities. Here we don't have that; views of distant mountains are a different design problem.

#595 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:26 AM

The proposal for the development at Harris Green Village includes 100,000-square-feet of commercial space and 1,500 rental apartments across its block-and-a-half site surrounding 1010 and 1020 View Street.

Apartments will be split across five towers ranging from 21 to 32 storeys – which could be Victoria’s new tallest building, dethroning the 25-storey Hudson Place One on Herald Street.

If accepted, the development site will convert from core residential to a mixed-use land designation, said Sheldon Johnson, Victoria’s manager of engagement. The amendment would permit buildings taller than the current cap of 20 storeys, and density up to the development’s proposed floor space ratio of 6.2:1.

The developers are contemplating but have yet to confirm the inclusion of office space in the village, said Starlight Investments senior development manager Andrew Browne.

https://www.vicnews....ghest-building/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 June 2021 - 08:26 AM.

#596 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:57 AM

European cities like Paris and Barcelona have very large swaths of very dense 10-12 storey buildings. They did largely raze those parts of the cities to build but quite significant density can be achieved with lower buildings. A lot of that impetus in those places was to maintain the dominance of cathedrals and other significant buildings in those cities. Here we don't have that; views of distant mountains are a different design problem.

When we try to take that approach, the response is that the buildings are too close to one another and completely block views of everything for everyone (except each other).

• DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.

#597 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:10 AM

When we try to take that approach, the response is that the buildings are too close to one another and completely block views of everything for everyone (except each other).

Of course. We're talking about the Hausmann/Cerda approach after all. It's...interesting that some of the places which are now held up as a model of urban design started as autocratic humanitarian disasters with zero public input. 

#598 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:13 AM

The initial spark, the very foundation of Vibrant Victoria when it was created in the mid 2000s centred around the Hausman/Cerda (Horizontal highrise) model vs. the emerging podium tower trend.

• Mike K. likes this

#599 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:33 AM

I remember that debate.. it spilled out into the streets at times. I still have the 'Team Podium' t-shirt which due to poor graphic design and Council misinterpretation got me kicked out of a public hearing for wearing 'suggestive or **rnographic imagery'.

That being said I believe we need more modest Iranian architecture to inspire our development trajectory. I'll just leave that here for now and elaborate in another relevant thread soon enough.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#600 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:34 AM

I would much prefer if everything was zoned to 40 stories rather than the 10-15 or whatever it currently is. 

Then you would have the problem Ian Sutherland mentioned, every piece of land in the City would appreciate in price to match the incremental density.

We have had more apartments come available in the past two years then in the past twenty. Vacancy rates have increased top nearly 3% yet rental prices have shot up more than any time in recent history as well. 

Clearly more density is only making affordability worse.

• rmpeers likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users