APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#701 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:13 PM

Going to public hearing, 5-4 vote. Dubow, Isitt, Thornton-Joe, and Young opposed.

• Mike K. likes this

#702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:50 PM

This really does belong to the public to decide, not a soon to be outgoing council.

The political sentiment is that rental housing is great and much needed, but this particular instance, in this particular location, and this particular type, and this particular style, are not quite the right sort of rental housing, is getting long in the tooth. Council knows the City is thousands of housing units in arrears, and yet four councillors still voted against sending this project forward.

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#703 KdogK

KdogK
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 04:43 PM

his is the project I am most excited about in the neighbourhood. Congratulations to Starlight!!

• Mike K. likes this

#704 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:28 PM

Council knows the City is thousands of housing units in arrears, and yet four councillors still voted against sending this project forward.

They just don't seem to understand the compounding affect their policies are having on gumming up the housing problem.

People don't want to sell as there is nothing to rent and renters can't find anything to buy because people won't sell.

Do they seriously lack the type of foresight to not see what is right in front of their faces? 

#705 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:38 PM

...Do they seriously lack the type of foresight to not see what is right in front of their faces? 

They are blinded by their ideology.

• DavidSchell likes this

#706 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:39 PM

I hate to say it, but Victorians vote in councillors who are all about maintaining the status quo. People vote for the government they want.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#707 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:42 PM

...Victorians vote in councillors who are all about maintaining the status quo. People vote for the government they want.

No one from the current council was voted in by me. They are most definitely NOT the government I want.

• mbjj likes this

#708 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:49 PM

I hate to say it, but Victorians vote in councillors who are all about maintaining the status quo. People vote for the government they want.

2018 had record-breaking turnout, yet it was only 45% of registered voters. In the 2020 byelection, only 17% even showed up. Hardly reflective of the will of the electorate as a whole.

Keeping up with elections and civic engagement at all three jurisdictional levels is very exhausting. Specially with partisan and ideologically-driven discourse becoming more dominant nowadays, which drives engagement at the federal level but makes municipal politics look irrelevant by comparison. 

#709 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:01 PM

It's also tricky in the CRD. You have people emotionally and financially engaged in issues pertaining to the City of Victoria, but they happen to live on the Saanich side of the border. No vote. And you also have a population of 60% renters in the City of Victoria, meaning there is more likelihood of housing movement, sometimes placing a person on the opposite side of the border and no longer connected to the politics they might be invested in. Again, no vote.

Know it all.

#710 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 05:27 AM

There are solutions to this. But no one wants to do it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#711 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 05:38 AM

The situation over the past few years has been just getting progressively worse.

I am sure all the prodeveloper guys manage to wear rose coloured glasses but the best they can say is that we hope it gets better somehow. 

I would not put my money into that area and I sure as hell would not want to live there. Take a nice stroll along Panadora one day but not at night.

#712 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:54 AM

There are solutions to this. But no one wants to do it.

It's not so much want, but fear, right? Everything was going good in terms of amalgamation, until 2018 happened. Then everyone got cold feet when Victoria politics morphed into federal, provincial and international advocacy that the electorate in other municipalities have no interest in.

Know it all.

#713 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 07:00 AM

...Everything was going good in terms of amalgamation, until 2018 happened...

I am not sure this is entirely true. It seems like there has always been as much regional opposition to amalgamation as there has been support.

#714 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 07:14 AM

Don't forget that the prior election had a question on the ballot asking voters if they supported taking steps towards exploring a union, which had some drama as Frank Leonard had devised a bizarre ask that was confusing (he ultimately got voted out in that election). The electorate on both sides was supportive of exploring the idea, formally. Several years later mayor Haynes announced his municipality would be stepping back.

Know it all.

#715 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 11:31 AM

We all know how badly the region needs more rental housing. This project, while it's not going to satisfy everyone, does provide a good mix of location, rental housing, retail, and public amenities. It shouldn't be hard to approve.

#716 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 12:32 PM

...It shouldn't be hard to approve.

You'd think that, wouldn't you? This one isn't getting approved without a fight.

#717 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 01:51 PM

Don't forget that the prior election had a question on the ballot asking voters if they supported taking steps towards exploring a union, which had some drama as Frank Leonard had devised a bizarre ask that was confusing (he ultimately got voted out in that election). The electorate on both sides was supportive of exploring the idea, formally. Several years later mayor Haynes announced his municipality would be stepping back.

The thing is the larger the electorate the less opportunity for fringe candidates to win. I mean just Saanich would give that mini most of the power in a union. Anyways far off topic.

This area is fine. I walk through here almost every day. The issues of Pandora usually move North and West not this direction at all
  • Mike K. likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#718 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 01:55 PM

...The issues of Pandora usually move North and West not this direction at all

Sadly, that is true.  :(

#719 ventilatte

ventilatte
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 09:40 PM

So did the re-submitted version of this with the 32 story tower get approved? I lost track of which version it was on because it seemed like it changed a few times. 

If so, I assume that will be Victoria's new tallest tower? 

#720 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 12:32 AM

The Duncan-Cowichan Valley referendum showed it doesn't matter what reports or committees say, people vote solely based on what they think they're gaining or losing from being part of a larger municipality. 

Is an Alberta-style annexation or a Mike Harris amalgamation the only way a united core could ever come to fruition? 

Edited by Casual Kev, 30 October 2021 - 12:32 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users