APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#681 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:51 AM

1,500-unit-Harris-Green-Village-rental-dev-headed-to-council-with-more-affordable-housing,-parkland-improvements.jpg

A rendering depicting Harris Green Village, a 1,500-plus unit rental development with ground floor retail spaces planned for the 900 and 1,000-blocks of Yates Street in downtown Victoria. Proponent Starlight Developments has refined the proposal as it nears its public hearing.

1,500-unit Harris Green Village rental dev headed to council with more affordable housing, parkland improvements

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#682 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,996 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:03 AM

That video is great.  It's only 1:15 but still hits all these in the first 55 seconds:

Disabled.

Inter-racial couple.

Gay male couple.

Black.

Asian.

Hispanic.

Senior.

Not sure if I can clearly see an Indo-Canadian, maybe the boy on the left in the school kids group of 4.

Starts with a beach I do not immediately recognize.  But I know it's not anywhere near downtown.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2021 - 11:10 AM.

#683 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:07 AM

I wonder how many people featured in that video are actually current residents of the CoV? Most looked liked actors/models to me. With the exception of a couple of establishing shots, the entire video could have been produced almost anywhere.

#684 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,996 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:26 PM

This still has me a bit perplexed.  I can't place it.

Somewhere near Mystic Beach, or just generic "waves hitting sandy and rocky beach at forest edge", from a stock video company?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2021 - 12:28 PM.

#685 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:31 PM

Maybe it's a proposed design for the park space in the Quadra-Vancouver portion of the project.  ;)

#686 newbie_01

newbie_01
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:32 PM

I feel completely alienated by that video because I don't see my specific intersectional identity represented.

Cool dev. though.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#687 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:59 PM

Victoria's promotional materials are interesting. They rarely include any images of Victoria city that show what it's actually like, and they often include images of natural spaces that are nowhere near Victoria.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:13 PM

It's likely royalty-free video material licensed through video licensing portals. You'll see it in promo content for projects in NYC, Toronto, LA and wherever else.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#689 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:19 PM

Of course it is, but it shouldn't be passed off as representing Victoria or its citizens.

#690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:30 PM

Ah geez, c'mon. Does the person brushing their teeth with Crest in a tv commercial have to be doing it in Victoria?

• DavidSchell and qv like this

Know it all.

#691 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:34 PM

...Does the person brushing their teeth with Crest in a tv commercial have to be doing it in Victoria?

Only if that toothpaste is being marketed as representing Victoria.

#692 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:59 PM

I've ranted about this before. Promotional materials for other cities will tend to show off the built form of the place. Promotional materials for Victoria will tend to be vague, showing close-ups of people engaged in a stock range of activities (but not necessarily actual stock images) and showing natural scenery that's well outside the city itself. For years I noted how Victoria's tourism guides and magazines would typically never show an establishing picture of the city itself. Whereas Vancouver, Portland, Ottawa, Halifax, and even smaller places like Nanaimo would typically show the city on the cover and then multiple times again within the pages. In one Victoria guide there were zero establishing shots or aerials of downtown Victoria but there were TWO such images of Sidney! And we can never forget that official tourism campaign from a few years back: "Victoria - Because it could really be any place, right?"

Anyway, in this case I suppose I should give them a point for briefly showing a very high aerial from southwest of James Bay at the start, and then the image showing the project renderings at the end. But it still seems odd to me that an ad to promote downtown Victoria living wouldn't have bothered to show some images of the downtown area.

FYI: I'm still stewing about the potential for a "duplicated podium" effect along two consecutive blocks of Yates Street. That wouldn't be good. In this case it might be a lucky break that the ground level of the Regent towers will provide such a strong interruption between the two developments.

• Nparker likes this

#693 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:24 PM

. But it still seems odd to me that an ad to promote downtown Victoria living wouldn't have bothered to show some images of the downtown area.

Showing assaults in progress, pan-handling, meth dancers etc. wouldn't do much to sell the place.

• aastra and A Girl is No one like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#694 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:50 PM

Revised proposal being discussed right now by Committee of the Whole: https://pub-victoria...Tab=attachments

So far, Helps and Alto in favour of sending to public hearing, even though only 5% of units "affordable" when Council asked for 15%.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 28 October 2021 - 01:01 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#695 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:00 PM

How much do Benemy/TV hate this proposal?

#696 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:00 PM

Alto supports moving to a public hearing.

Know it all.

#697 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

Isitt does not support sending the project to a public hearing.

Know it all.

#698 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:25 PM

Isitt does not support sending the project to a public hearing.

I am stunned!  :eek:

• DavidSchell likes this

#699 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:43 PM

It didn't sound like Councillor Young supported sending the project to a public hearing.

Know it all.

#700 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:45 PM

It didn't sound like Councillor Young supported sending the project to a public hearing.

We all know his thoughts on any building over 4 floors in height.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users