Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#741 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:39 PM

Somewhere in another thread on here is some talk about poor driving habits.  And *that* ^ is one of them!  How f**kin difficult is it to merge?! If you can't do it competently onto a highway, regardless of traffic conditions, you shouldn't be on the highway in the first place. :mad:

He wasn't trying to merge

He was not trying to merge.  This was a deliberate strategy to make the left turn there.

Sorry, my post was unclear.  I realise that buddy was not trying to merge, and was deliberately trying to make an (illegal?) left turn across 3 lanes of traffic.  

My post was just a general complaint about people who can't use on-ramps/merge lanes properly, and stop, very dangerously, at the end of merge lanes.. 

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#742 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:19 AM

we hear ya

see it everyday

its so bad now they put signs on the highway showing people in simple child like drawings how to zipper merge

#743 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:29 AM

And likely one he had done before, unfortunately.

Art Lawrence, who manages the RV park, said he had seen Quirk make that illegal left turn in the past and warned him that it was dangerous.

Lawrence said other residents also have made the left turn instead of driving up to the U-turn route at Shawnigan Lake Road.

“We see people doing it all the time,” Lawrence said. “We can only tell them through experience that it’s dangerous.”

Patterson, who has long advocated for barriers along the centre of the Malahat highway, said a median could have prevented the crash by making a left turn impossible.

“This is a 110 per cent preventable incident,” he said.

That crash is 110% preventable if the van driver obeys several rules.  

Look, we could make it no left turns from Victoria to Campbell River, and we'd prevent many crashes too.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#744 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:50 AM

That crash is 110% preventable if the van driver obeys several rules.  

Look, we could make it no left turns from Victoria to Campbell River, and we'd prevent many crashes too.

And they could put the concrete dividers down the center line tomorrow in the Malahat Village.

#745 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:53 AM

And they could put the concrete dividers down the center line tomorrow in the Malahat Village.

They could probably put in a 8" raised curb to prevent that turn. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#746 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:05 AM

they should do that at every merge lane including helmcken and millstream and other place where idiots think its ok to fly across thick solid white lines and fly sideways into the travel lanes

#747 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:06 AM

Yes that would cure the issue of crossing over the yellow but it still doesn't cure stupidity

#748 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:14 AM

traffic cones.jpg

• rjag likes this

#749 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Yes that would cure the issue of crossing over the yellow but it still doesn't cure stupidity

We need to start a separate thread for stupdity.

It shouldn't take long.

#750 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

Where has he been for the last 40 years?

The former chair of the CRD Traffic Safety Commission is calling for a second route over the Malahat.

This, after some frustrated drivers yelled at emergency crews trying to clear a fatal accident scene Thursday night, while others tried to ignore the closed area and drive through the crash site.

Foord says it could take 20 years to get it done, but it must happen and the planning should start now.

http://www.iheartrad...lahat-1.2108100

#751 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

^ There already is one.

IMG_0101.PNG
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#752 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:01 PM

Once they have a divider pretty much over the whole thing, complete closures should be very rare.  They should be able to work a system to use the other side from the crash.

#753 phx

phx
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

Once they have a divider pretty much over the whole thing, complete closures should be very rare.  They should be able to work a system to use the other side from the crash.

Maybe the could, but they usually like to shut everything down.

#754 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:58 PM

Maybe the could, but they usually like to shut everything down.

Isn't that because they want to re-create the accident and analyze the scene, and the crash usually involves traffic both ways?  Presumably when a divider is in place, most accidents only involve one way traffic.

#755 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

this recent accident had a number of witnesses.

the witness accounts should be enough to lay blame.

No real need to measure everything but I suppose Rob Patterson would miss out making accusations to the media and he wouldn't be able to see himself on TV

he is really one of a kind you never see any other fire chief with such an abrasive personality and with all the accusation that I claim are fabricated the place was crawling with cops but not one has gone on record to support his claim that people at the accident scene were yelling at them.

I was there and I stand by my claim and am calling Patterson out on this

#756 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:37 PM

Maybe the yelling was taking place at Westhore and TCh where people were held back causing a huge parking lot. I can see it happening there and Rob embellishing by making it sound like it happened at the Bungalow site

#757 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

I don't know, the only yelling that seems to be going on is happening on this thread. Let's give it a rest.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#758 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:30 AM

Yelling on a the web is characterized by CAPS lock

#759 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:33 AM

I remember as a kid there was a  truck that wiped in the Goldstream park Section and spilled its load of Coca Cola products all over the place. Seems that every kid in Langford road their bikes down there to get their hands on some free product

#760 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,753 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:36 PM

Ha!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users