[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#761 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

I remember as a kid there was a  truck that wiped in the Goldstream park Section and spilled its load of Coca Cola products all over the place. Seems that every kid in Langford road their bikes down there to get their hands on some free product

Back when kids rode bikes I guess.  You don't see all that much of that anymore.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#762 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

Back when kids rode bikes I guess.  You don't see all that much of that anymore.

If that means when kids grow up they won't be riding bikes, and so why are we building all the bike lanes for them,  eh?

#763 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

And like HB says, what's so special abut the sheriff van that it got to go through?

The clue lies is in the word Sheriff.
  • Matt R. likes this

#764 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

The clue lies is in the word Sheriff.

The word "sheriff" is a contraction of the term "shire reeve". The term, from the Old English scīrgerefa, designated a royal official responsible for keeping the peace (a "reeve") throughout a shire or county on behalf of the king.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriff

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#765 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

It wasn't a van. It was a sheriff's van. That's by definition special, isn't it?

#766 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

Where has he been for the last 40 years?

Whining that we don't have speed cameras...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#767 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:32 PM

It wasn't a van. It was a sheriff's van. That's by definition special, isn't it?

It does not need to get anywhere faster than other traffic, I don't think.  It's just a prisoner transport, and it might have been empty.  If it had anyone aboard, their next important date was likely court the next day.

#768 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

Maybe the prisoner was driving it...over powered the civil servant driver...excellent getaway

#769 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:39 AM

A southbound lane of the Malahat is closed between Bamberton exit and split rock as crews work to remove a rock slide. Traffic doesn't seem to be heavily impacted.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#770 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:49 AM

It does not need to get anywhere faster than other traffic, I don't think. It's just a prisoner transport, and it might have been empty. If it had anyone aboard, their next important date was likely court the next day.

What if waiting meant that court dates had to be rescheduled, costing tens of thousands of dollars?

#771 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:57 AM

What if waiting meant that court dates had to be rescheduled, costing tens of thousands of dollars?

The van was coming this way, in the late afternoon.  Too late for court of any kind.  It quite frankly was likely empty, and was the return run of a prisoner transport to the Nanaimo provincial facility.  People that are convicted in Victoria often are sent there for their under-2-year sentence.  There is little need to bring prisoners the other way.

#772 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:00 AM

But you don't know the circumstances, which makes it a silly thing to criticize. Maybe they were moving a mob boss.

#773 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:02 AM

But you don't know the circumstances, which makes it a silly thing to criticize. Maybe they were moving a mob boss.

I know that they were not going to court.  If they had any prisoners onboard, they were going to some type of lock-up overnight, or to Wilkinson Road or even to William Head.  But wherever they were going, they could have waited a few hours with no extra costs, except the drivers' overtime.  A lot of other people caught up in the snarl lost lots more money that that, and they could not throw on "emergency" lights and get through.

#774 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:35 AM

Hey, get worked up about it all you want.

Maybe the sheriff's wife was on her death bed. Maybe she was having their first child. Who cares?

#775 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:17 AM

A southbound lane of the Malahat is closed between Bamberton exit and split rock as crews work to remove a rock slide. Traffic doesn't seem to be heavily impacted.

Were the inconvenienced motorists swearing at the rock slide?  :drillsergeant:

#776 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

Have you paid any attention to court scheduling? Seldom is something not rescheduled numerous times. - Are you saying that every one of those bi-weekly bumps is costing tens of thousands of dollars? That aside, the majority of incarcerated folks are appearing via telebail and only showing up for trial.

#777 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:45 AM

If that means when kids grow up they won't be riding bikes, and so why are we building all the bike lanes for them,  eh?

The only thing kids ride these days, is their smart phone while playing pokemon.

#778 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

The only thing kids ride these days, is their smart phone while playing pokemon.

Absurd generalization.  Have you looked at bike racks outside schools around town?  They're full, and bikes are locked up along school fences as well.

But full disclosure - I love playing Pokemon.

#779 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

it was after 6pm

#780 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

Speaking of Pokemon, I think the trend has all but died off now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users