Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#781 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

Speaking of Pokemon, I think the trend has all but died off now.

Not died off.  I think they're at 1/4 of their highest point but it's still tens of millions of people worldwide.

They need some more updates to keep it going.  Shouldn't be hard.  They've released 145 pokemon but there's 718 or so in the "Pokemon universe".  Just release another hundred every 6 months and the pockets stay lined.

#782 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

Hmm, maybe that's it. I guess I just don't see throngs of zombies walking around anymore. And not because Halloween is over.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#783 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:20 PM

Absurd generalization.  Have you looked at bike racks outside schools around town?  They're full, and bikes are locked up along school fences as well.

But full disclosure - I love playing Pokemon.

I have added while riding their bikes. =)

• nagel likes this

#784 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

The design of phase 3 for the Malahat project is now available: http://www2.gov.bc.c...storyboards.pdf

Here are some items of interest:

No left turns out at Aspen Road:

Aspen Road.PNG

Those wishing to head south from Aspen will use a new U-Turn facility just north of the current intersection.

No left turns out at Malahat Village. New road for properties adjacent and west of the highway.

Malahat Village.PNG

The current Shawnigan Lake Rd southbound merge lane will become a second southbound lane all the way to the top of Tunnel Hill

Shawningan.PNG

Its great to see all left turns out onto this section of the highway be eliminated.

• Bingo likes this

#785 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:00 PM

Does anyone have more info on today's closure?

And the highway was also closed yesterday (Saturday) following a head-on collision.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#786 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:44 PM

Bridge across the inlet. How sweet would that be?
  • qwerty likes this

#787 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

Capture.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#788 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:21 AM

Clearly we need to advocate for taller barriers.

• sebberry likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#789 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:02 PM

Clearly we need to advocate for taller barriers.

Yikes!  Did the driver made the right turn too soon.

#790 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

He decided to take the "local business access road" that parallels the highway.  But it is only made for motorcycles at this time.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#791 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:23 PM

He decided to take the "local business access road" that parallels the highway.  But it is only made for motorcycles at this time.

They need to get some bollards in place to prevent that. 

I think bollard shares are going to go up as the stupidity market expands.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#792 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

They need to get some bollards in place to prevent that. 

I think bollard shares are going to go up as the stupidity market expands.

Oh, for sure.  Detroit is considering rejuvenating their economy with a dedicated bollard stock exchange.  Like the Chicago mercantile exchange.

#793 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

I'm trying to get the visuals on this accident. Which ditch are they talking about rolling down?

It looks like the vehicle was wedged between solid rock and a concrete barrier.

No one was injured after a vehicle carrying three people hit a ditch and flipped over on the Malahat highway this morning.

“It was pretty intense but it was a good call for everybody involved,” said Malahat Fire Chief Rob Patterson, after confirming three young men “who failed to navigate a vehicle” landed in a ditch north of South Shawnigan Lake Road turnoff.

Eyewitnesses said the vehicle was heading northbound at a high rate of speed and across oncoming lanes about 8 a.m. before traveling up the ditch where it flipped over.

We had to chain it to one of our fire trucks to stop it from rolling down the ditch.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.rgbNa8R0.dpuf

#794 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

it looks like just north of the  Shawnigan Turn off.. Looks like he was going to turn right onto Shawnigan Rd and probably road up onto the no-post barrier high centred then flipped over it

If your wheel catches the side of those it doesn't take much to right right up onto them

#795 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

Eyewitnesses said the vehicle was heading northbound at a high rate of speed and across oncoming lanes about 8 a.m. before traveling up the ditch where it flipped over.

It might have been stoned/drunk guys in a stolen car, who knows.

#796 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:17 AM

An accident has closed the southbound lane(s) at the Malahat summit.

Know it all.

#797 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Yesterday there was a community meeting with MOTI staff and Malahat residents regarding the upcoming phase 3 project (4 laning between Aspen Rd and Shawnigan Lake Road)

Malahat Fire Chief Rob Patterson was complaining that he thinks its a bad idea to limit left turns on to the highway especially at the Malahat village.

"That is our community hub. Everything that happens in our community goes on there. That's where we get our mail; that's where we get our groceries. That's where we find out what's going on in the community with the notice boards and that there. A lot of local residents are not willing to put on another 20 kilometers just to go for dinner or just to go get mail. They'll go somewhere else."

http://www.iheartrad...ments-1.2257442

The guy is out to lunch. Firstly, left hand turns on a curving highway is dangerous and should be blocked - he is totally wrong on this. Second - its not going to be an extra 20 km for Aspen Rd residents to go and return from the Malahat Village/Post Office. They can continue north for a couple of km and turn around at Shawnigan Lake Rd - maybe an extra 4 km round trip tops. For safety its worth it.

• Bingo and jonny like this

#798 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

What a bizarre thing for a fire chief to say. The issue is safety, not convenience.

Know it all.

#799 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:06 PM

Uncontrolled left hand turns on a highway are incredibly stupid.  You'd think the fire chief has scrapped enough bodies off the Malahat to know that by now.

• jonny likes this

#800 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

I stand my my personal opinion that Rob Patterson is an attention hound and a drama queen.

I heard him on CFAX this morning whining about how he wants left hand turns because People  (including he himself,) need to get their mail or go for lunch etc etc. He doesn't think residents should be required to drive a few clicks to a u-turn area.

He said left turns at Whitaker and Aspen should be allowed and he will be discussing it with the ministry.

I was shaking my head thinking what is he talking about.

the last fatality was from someone making a left hand turn albeit an illegal one.

I'm getting even more sick of hearing his whining.

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users