[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#1341 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:14 AM

maybe we need a properly elected crd board then. then the region can elect board members that truly want to fix any regional traffic problems.

#1342 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:19 AM

Comrade Ben has already added his (overpriced) 2 cents: https://www.cheknews...-island-523278/

(see around 1:27 on the above clip)

Why is he even speaking on this issue, his authority ends at Tolmie Ave.  Maybe he would like Central Saanich speaking up about issues in the CoV

#1343 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:32 AM

he’s a crd director.

#1344 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:33 AM

Why is he even speaking on this issue, his authority ends at Tolmie Ave...

I am the probably the last person who will likely ever defend Ben's actions, but I believe his comments on the alternate Malahat route were being made as a CRD director and not as member of the CoV council. That doesn't mean his POV was any less inane.

#1345 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

.....Mine is just one story of lots out there for reasons why there needs to be a better or improved route..  .....

Thanks for laying this out in detail as it applies to your travel requirements.

It's additional perspective that tends to point out that it's actually more than just a Malahat discussion, but a discussion that relates to North/South travel on Vancouver Island in a much wider scope.

#1346 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

I am the probably the last person who will likely ever defend Ben's actions, but I believe his comments on the alternate Malahat route were being made as a CRD director and not as member of the CoV council. That doesn't mean his POV was any less inane.

^^^This^^^, Beyond being just a Director, Isitt actually sits on the CRD's Water Commission ... and (presumably) that's why he was being solicited by the cameras for a comment.

It's in Isitt's capacity as a member of the Water Commission that he's previously made some of his most outrageous statements regarding what residents and citizens should, and shouldn't be able to do in the Sooke/Goldstream areas now controlled by the CRD as either parks, reserves, or designated watersheds.

#1347 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:44 AM

You know what, I'm kinda fine with whoever sits on the water commission being as zealous as they can to protect our rather remarkable gem of a watershed and system.  Even if they're simply being a devil's advocate, I want that person to advocate as strongly as possible.

Many other watersheds in other cities did not have the forethought to have the whole area so strictly protected and end up with quads zipping around,  illegal dumping, and even development.  I've always found our ridiculously well protected watershed a point of regional pride.

• Coreyburger, tedward, Mr Cook Street and 1 other like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#1348 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

You know what, I'm kinda fine with whoever sits on the water commission being as zealous as they can to protect our rather remarkable gem of a watershed and system.  Even if they're simply being a devil's advocate, I want that person to advocate as strongly as possible.

Many other watersheds in other cities did not have the forethought to have the whole area so strictly protected and end up with quads zipping around,  illegal dumping, and even development.  I've always found our ridiculously well protected watershed a point of regional pride.

As valid an opinion as any other opinion, and you're certainly not alone in holding it!

I might only put forward that simply supporting the draconian limitations placed on residents of the CRD and their (in)ability to access wilderness in almost the entire Southern tip of Vancouver Island doesn't take into account that the CRD maintains a watershed that is (currently) three times the size of what is actually required, and that many folks who monitor such things maintain that much of the land currently held as watershed will never be required.

• Nparker likes this

#1349 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

As valid an opinion as any other opinion, and you're certainly not alone in holding it!

I might only put forward that simply supporting the draconian limitations placed on residents of the CRD and their (in)ability to access wilderness in almost the entire Southern tip of Vancouver Island doesn't take into account that the CRD maintains a watershed that is (currently) three times the size of what is actually required, and that many folks who monitor such things maintain that much of the land currently held as watershed will never be required.

Perhaps, but having a buffer zone around the watersource like a lake, river, etc. protects it. Watersheds don't just start and end, the encompass a large area. Unfortunately many of the river and stream systems in the CRD have been developed on over the last several decades. Sometimes its best not to have unimpeded access to the wilderness and to just leave it alone.

#1350 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:06 PM

Also the watershed serves not just human needs, it also serves other purposes as well. Lets try to consider that before we start and continue to beat the highway bypass drum. I know that people aren't going to agree with me on that. At any rate, a decision will be made on what to do about the Malahat and I hope its not something that we will regret in years to come.

• Brantastic likes this

#1351 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

he’s a crd director.

Why?  He is anti CRD unless it is in a few blocks of the core.   

#1352 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

Perhaps, but having a buffer zone around the watersource like a lake, river, etc. protects it. Watersheds don't just start and end, the encompass a large area. Unfortunately many of the river and stream systems in the CRD have been developed on over the last several decades. Sometimes its best not to have unimpeded access to the wilderness and to just leave it alone.

The area we're talking about is far larger than anything that could be described as a "buffer zone", it's close to the entire Southern tip of the Island.

Not to be disagreeable, but the watershed certainly does "start" and "end". Each one of our three watersheds have specific and designated boundaries. The Sooke watershed is in a "bowl" surrounded by mountains on all sides. The water in that "bowl" goes nowhere else but into that bowl (Sooke Lake). 

The potential Malahat emergency bypass would be entirely outside of that bowl, and is therefore entirely outside the physical watershed.

The CRD Water Commision isn't trying to protect any of the streams or rivers going into Sooke Lake ("the bowl), they're trying to prevent anybody from getting anywhere near the outside of that bowl.

The proposed Malahat bypass would be 8 to 10 miles away from the outside of the bowl, more like 12 to 14 miles away from Sooke Lake itself.

The potential emergency bypass is closer to the Goldstream Watershed, but seeing as we don't use that water for but one week each year ... it's dubious whether such over the top protection is required (note that even the proximity to the Goldstream Watershed is measured in miles, in this case about 3 or 4 miles away).

Going to Sooke Lake on Google Maps and clicking "3D" makes things pretty clear. The potential Malahat bypass, although inside the designated watershed, is nowhere near the actual water.

• Nparker likes this

#1353 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:53 AM

does anybody know if the kapoor tunnel could be knocked out if commission by an earthquake? woukd that make the backup watershed more important?

#1354 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:40 AM

he’s a crd director.

And the Province can just steamroller over the CRD if they want to, just like the Feds ignore all Provincial laws (a prime example is the Feds don't pay PST on anything since PST is a Provincial Law)

#1355 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:48 AM

yes but you wondered why he was speaking out about an issue “north of tolmie” so we answered.

#1356 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:40 AM

The Kapoor Tunnel could absolutely be damaged in an earthquake.

But an equally devastating issue would be the many miles of distribution infrastructure destroyed, the water main infrastructure that distributes water from Japan Gulch through the entire region, and then to your house.

The Goldstream Watershed delivers all of its water to Japan Gulch via the Goldstream River. A major earthquake could potentially do as much damage to the run of the river (through slides and blockages) as it would to the Kapoor Tunnel.

In other words, we'd likely be screwed either way.

This map demonstrates just how far away the potential Malahat by-pass route is from the lakes we're talking about:

https://www.crd.bc.c...11.pdf?sfvrsn=6

Note that most of the route isn't even inside the watershed, it's inside the reserve (which is largely there to act as the watershed buffer, and keep the public out).

Edited by Cassidy, 12 January 2019 - 08:45 AM.

#1357 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

And the Province can just steamroller over the CRD if they want to, just like the Feds ignore all Provincial laws (a prime example is the Feds don't pay PST on anything since PST is a Provincial Law)

The Feds don't really pay GST either since the crediting pack of GST is an internal transaction.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1358 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

Would the province be exempt from paying GST too?

#1359 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:31 AM

^Can't speak for the province. Never had a job with them.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1360 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

Folks working for the feds access VV. Your office can’t, sd?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users