[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#1621 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:28 AM

like antilock brakes lulled is into driving too close.

#1622 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:32 AM

like antilock brakes lulled is into driving too close.

Considering they increase stopping distance, probably not.  People tailgate because they're clueless.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1623 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:36 AM

Pretty much. They can’t fathom a scenario where the car in front of them stops faster than they are able to stop.

Maybe it’s time to get real, and launch informational campaigns that spell it out: tailgating = low intelligence. There’s no rational reason to do it, so low IQ is the logical conclusion.

There. I said it.
  • Redd42 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1624 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

they don’t increase stopping distance vs. locking up your wheels for the duration of your deceleration.

#1625 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:54 AM

they don’t increase stopping distance vs. locking up your wheels for the duration of your deceleration.

They do on slippery surfaces.  ABS exists to help maintain steering control, not decrease stopping distance.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1626 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

I think on most surfaces it does both. in any event people follow too close for no good reason.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 September 2019 - 08:04 AM.

#1627 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

^there is a reason, it's low IQ.

That's the only way to explain "I intend to drive so close to the vehicle in front of me that I not only increase the likelihood of colliding with them, I stand to injure innocent people, myself and my passengers, potentially write-off my own vehicle and theirs, increase my insurance premiums significantly, and stand to invest a large sum of money in order to purchase another vehicle without which I could jeopardize my employment and interfere with my family's obligations/duties."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1628 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:39 PM

This is perhaps one of the best examples of how technology can dumb us down where we’re no longer conscious of the most basic of safety practices.

My kid is taking Young Drivers training and she turns the headlights on when she starts the car day or night, rain or shine.  Wonder if that will stick?

• GabriolaGirl likes this

#1629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:19 PM

That’s great! It’s a smart practice, for sure.

Know it all.

#1630 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:32 PM

^Except when you have to replace the $2000 headlight when it burns out.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1631 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:41 PM

Aren’t they on 100% of the time anyways? Mine are on full blast as DLRs. Only the parking lights light up when you manually turn them on.

Know it all.

#1632 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

Aren’t they on 100% of the time anyways? Mine are on full blast as DLRs. Only the parking lights light up when you manually turn them on.

No, they are usually half powered or use the parking lights.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1633 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:46 PM

Not mine, on either of my vehicles that have DRLs. There’s no difference in illumination that I can tell.

Know it all.

#1634 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:26 PM

^Except when you have to replace the $2000 headlight when it burns out.

We have an S2000 & have never had to replace a headlight.  I can imagine it's a bit of a job.  But even if it is, we will turn on our lights.  We're a small silver car that people don't seem to see.

#1635 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:48 PM

The problem then becomes remembering to turn them off when you park, if it's daylight enough that you don't otherwise notice.  Flat batteries are no fun.

#1636 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:34 AM

^there is a reason, it's low IQ.

That's the only way to explain "I intend to drive so close to the vehicle in front of me that I not only increase the likelihood of colliding with them, I stand to injure innocent people, myself and my passengers, potentially write-off my own vehicle and theirs, increase my insurance premiums significantly, and stand to invest a large sum of money in order to purchase another vehicle without which I could jeopardize my employment and interfere with my family's obligations/duties."

i guess it is.  i know the odd driver likes to intentionally tailgate to "intimidate" the driver ahead.  it seems like a stupid practice.

#1637 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:27 AM

And that’s another level of tailgating right? The intimidation tactic. But there are some drivers who just ride your tail as habit even on the highway. Three car lengths behind you at 80-90km/h and they’re oblivious to what they’re doing. Low IQ.

Know it all.

#1638 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

The problem then becomes remembering to turn them off when you park, if it's daylight enough that you don't otherwise notice.  Flat batteries are no fun.

BING BING BING BING BING... is what my car would say to you.

Interestingly, headlights don't have to be the DRLs.  I once owned a 2005 Pontiac Montana and it used the front parking lights as DRLs.  It seems most of the latest cars are using some LED arrangement for DRLs now though.

#1639 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:57 AM

Fortunately my car doesn't power the headlights with the key out of the ignition, so I can leave them on as long as I want.  I don't though, the voltage drop during crank shortens the bulb life.

#1640 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:58 AM

It seems most of the latest cars are using some LED arrangement for DRLs now though.

More for the Lightbulb thread I suppose, but some of those LED DRLs are also quite irritating.  Maybe I'm just getting grumpy. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users