[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#1641 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:43 PM

More for the Lightbulb thread I suppose, but some of those LED DRLs are also quite irritating.  Maybe I'm just getting grumpy. 

It's probably both.

#1642 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

The problem then becomes remembering to turn them off when you park, if it's daylight enough that you don't otherwise notice.  Flat batteries are no fun.

In my vehicles they automatically shut off after 10 seconds or so.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1643 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

The Friends of the Sooke Hills recently thought they had cracked the code and discovered the Malahat alternative that the NDP wants to build and have available for times when the Malahat is closed.

There were photos posted to the group's Facebook page of what they called a new route via West Jordan Main, which heads west from the northern tip of Shawnigan Lake then a ways later straight south (mostly) and connects with Otter Point Road in Sooke via a logging main in that area.

The map they created depicts where new work had recently been done on West Jordan, and they considered that to be a sign of a new public roadway. On the surface you can't blame them, as any road improvements done to major logging mains in our region while we await for the NDP's announcement are fodder for speculation. I've speculated on a new route myself in the past (you'll find it up in this thread somewhere).

I'd just like to say that if you hear of the West Jordan Main theory as being the second route, keep in mind that that likelihood is low given the distances involved and the fact that the road passes through precarious territory that you wouldn't want to be sending hundreds of people down who don't have experience driving those roads. Any improvements that were made to West Jordan are for the benefit of logging operations.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1644 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:36 PM

Added the map image. IF valid, that's quite the detour, and forces a large volume of traffic down Sooke Road. Then of course there's an accident on Sooke Rd and everyone in the area is stuck. The Facebook post reads to me like a case of making connections between disparate happenings and projecting a sneaky new alternate route in the works.

Attached Images

• sooke-malahat-baypass-maybe.jpg

Edited by grantpalin, 16 November 2019 - 11:37 PM.

#1645 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:09 AM

Yeah, it’s quite the reach that they made. Then the conversation veered off into land rights, etc.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1646 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

Malahat closed northbound at Ice Cream Mountain following a rock slide.

Know it all.

#1647 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:58 PM

It would amazing if that bit listed above as Kapoor Main got fixed as that would mean rebuilding the burnt out bridge and would reconnect the Renfrew Shawnigan Road. I have said before some grading of that road and the bridge repair would shave off an hour over the current Renfrew secondary route on its own and would be super cheap to do.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1648 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:39 PM

There’s already a road between Shawnigan and the Circle Route. That’s probably why ‘burnt bridge’ hasn’t been a priority.

Know it all.

#1649 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

The last time the Malahat was closed for a rock slide or a downed tree is quite a while compared to how frequent vehicles are the cause of a closure.  We all recognize that vehicle related closures are most commonly a result of carelessness, be it speed, distracted driving or other.  I personally believe that the cause of most crashes on the Malahat are speed related.  So here is my suggested solution before we tear up the watershed to build a second route.

1.Take the camera apparati that used to be at either end of the Port Mann or Golden Ears Bridges and install one set at each end of the Malahat. 

2.Based on the legal and recommended speed limit for the Malahat, calibrate the camera set up to a specific amount of time it should take a responsible driver     of either a car, truck or rig to drive the route either way.

3.When a vehicle enters the Malahat the camera snaps a photo; another snaps a photo as the vehicle exits the Malahat.  If the vehicle exits the Malahat sooner than it should within in acceptable time limit, a costly ticket + points is issued to that driver.    

#1650 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:31 AM

1.Take the camera apparati that used to be at either end of the Port Mann or Golden Ears Bridges and install one set at each end of the Malahat. 

2.Based on the legal and recommended speed limit for the Malahat, calibrate the camera set up to a specific amount of time it should take a responsible driver     of either a car, truck or rig to drive the route either way.

3.When a vehicle enters the Malahat the camera snaps a photo; another snaps a photo as the vehicle exits the Malahat.  If the vehicle exits the Malahat sooner than it should within in acceptable time limit, a costly ticket + points is issued to that driver.    

Didn't they try to introduce this recently? The outrage from those who oppose camera-based fines of all types was furious.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1651 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

Didn't they try to introduce this recently? The outrage from those who oppose camera-based fines of all types was furious.

Some red light cameras at intersections have been upgraded to also measure speed through the intersection. Most of them are on the mainland.

Re: speed cameras on corridors, I believe that China uses this method on some highways.

#1652 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:43 AM

The last time the Malahat was closed for a rock slide or a downed tree is quite a while compared to how frequent vehicles are the cause of a closure.  We all recognize that vehicle related closures are most commonly a result of carelessness, be it speed, distracted driving or other.  I personally believe that the cause of most crashes on the Malahat are speed related.  So here is my suggested solution before we tear up the watershed to build a second route.

Far too much "Big Brother" for my liking. I have been told by a number of first responders that the majority of the accidents on the  Malahat come from poor/distracted drivers. Speeding is the go to/hot button that outrages the public and thus it garners the most publicity. Enforce the smaller details, lane changes, signaling , tailgating, improper tires  etc. etc. and I would wager there would be a marked decline.  

• lanforod likes this

#1653 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

You'll be hard pressed to find a major incident that closed the Malahat being related to 'speeders'.

In the last 10-15 years the primary causes have been, DUI, drugs, driver error, mechanical, weather and poor vehicle conditions

The tanker that flipped in Goldstream was shown to have been drinking

The motor-biker that was killed by the women on drugs

Attempting to cross 4 lanes of traffic to enter a property

black ice on the one spot where the road upgrade wasnt showing adequate drainage

severe rainstorm and 4 bald tires and driver inexperience

Loss of brakes in the septic truck

etc etc

Not one of these would have been prevented by a camera and someone getting a ticket in the mail 2 months later. And yet its these incidents and others like them that are then used as an excuse to advocate for things like time/distance cameras etc that will only generate cash flow and effectively criminalise most of the travelling public and not reduce the risk. 

Alberta has just come out with a mandate that says Munis cant buy any more speed cameras unless they can prove they actually reduce traffic collisions and injuries https://www.cbc.ca/n...pment-1.5374087

The government will begin a two-year consultation process with police services and municipalities to ensure photo radar is used to improve safety and is "not just a hidden tax,"

I dont advocate for aggressive drivers and they deserve to have the book thrown at them, but there is a difference between the 85th percentile that travel 95-100 in an 80 zone and the .1% that exceed 120 in that same road

Highways are far safer to travel on than urban streets

Edited by rjag, 29 November 2019 - 11:14 AM.

• sebberry, davidN and FogPub like this

#1654 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:16 AM

Far too much "Big Brother" for my liking. I have been told by a number of first responders that the majority of the accidents on the  Malahat come from poor/distracted drivers. Speeding is the go to/hot button that outrages the public and thus it garners the most publicity. Enforce the smaller details, lane changes, signaling , tailgating, improper tires  etc. etc. and I would wager there would be a marked decline.  

Very costly to police all of the smaller details.  I imagine the cost of policing all those details would be a costly venture.  The province already owns $150 million worth of bridge cameras.

#1655 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

Very costly to police all of the smaller details.  I imagine the cost of policing all those details would be a costly venture.  The province already owns $150 million worth of bridge cameras.

You realize moving around a few 'highway cams' aren't even close to what's required to run time/interval/speed enforcement?  

And aren't we constantly being told 'we need to save lives at all cost'?  If so, perhaps we should police the smaller details.  It's the lack of overall care and precision on our roads that's causing the mayhem.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1656 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

Not really the point. They are 'playing politics" when it comes to cameras and taking the easy way out. Would you care   about the cost if it saved a loved ones life - or should it all be about how much we can save by using the camera's we already have (while looking fiscally responsible by doing it.)?

#1657 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

Only works for (as in, against) drivers who go in one end of the Malahat and out the other.  Those who live/work along the highway or in Shawngan Lake could bomb along as fast as they want because in a typical trip they're going to interact with the cameras in reverse order: "exit" followed however long later by "enter".

#1658 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:33 PM

that’s a fraction of the users though.

#1659 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:57 PM

Horgan says the mixed messaging from the CRD isn’t helping. The CRD wants a better road but doesn’t want to allow an expansion through the park. So...?

It sounds to me like Horgan wants to fix the mess and he’s going to do it in whatever capacity he can with the most efficient use of public funds. And no, running a road way west of the Malahat isn’t a reasonable solution.

Know it all.

#1660 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:59 PM

And no, running a road way west of the Malahat isn’t a reasonable solution.

that's ridiculous for sure.  

coquihalla

inland island highway

sea-to-sky improvements

south fraser perimeter

a good premier can get it done.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2019 - 04:02 PM.

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users