Capital Daily

• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:21 PM

Do you know this person's name, by chance?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:40 PM

Jimmy Thomson per this tweet: We are pleased to announce that @jwsthomson is coming on board with @CapitalDailyVic to be our Managing Editor.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:00 PM

Thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:23 PM

For those asking, I am no longer editor of Capital Daily because they fired me. It, uh, wasn't amicable.

- Tristin Hopper

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 November 2020 - 08:24 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:37 PM

Tristin Hopper, formerly of the National Post has launched a new online news source for Victoria

One year, two months.

Know it all.

#26 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:04 AM

“Fed up with poor local news coverage in his town of Victoria, BC, Canada, Andrew Wilkinson started his own local news outlet, Capital Daily.

With 40k subscribers in a city of 200k, Capital Daily has a bigger audience than the local newspaper.

He believes the model can be replicated in different cities, with each newsletter generating $200k-$500k in profits.”  

(Apple Podcasts Episode #97).

https://podcasts.app...i=1000486692200

(https://www.tinycapital.com)

Edited by VIResident, 31 December 2020 - 07:09 AM.

#27 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:11 AM

the local paid newspaper has less than 35,000 print subscribers but it has a large online readership. and the free local dailies larger still.

he means each city can return $200k+ each year? maybe but it’s not like their isn’t better competition elsewhere.

#28 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:18 AM

But each print subscriber is pretty much a guaranteed reader, sometimes several readers per copy, How many internet newsletter subscribers delete them unopened? I admit I have a couple. 

But it's all about numbers, not actual readers, that's why you have print scandals like newspapers refusing to cancel subscriptions and outright dumping of bundles in remote fields. So no doubt Wilkinson is making money with his online subscription model, but are his advertisers satisfied?

#29 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:23 AM

usually you’d need satisfied advertisers in order to make a profit. since it’s the only revenue stream.

daily hive has done well. and we see what castanet sold for. but that’s the kind of entrenched competition faced in other cities.

here the only online big daily news competition is Victoria Buzz. from which Wilkinson just recruited an editorial employee.

but every radio station and weekly in every city also sells online ads. then there are specialty websites like VV that also sell ads.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 December 2020 - 07:28 AM.

#30 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:09 AM

But each print subscriber is pretty much a guaranteed reader, sometimes several readers per copy, How many internet newsletter subscribers delete them unopened? I admit I have a couple. 

But it's all about numbers, not actual readers, that's why you have print scandals like newspapers refusing to cancel subscriptions and outright dumping of bundles in remote fields. So no doubt Wilkinson is making money with his online subscription model, but are his advertisers satisfied?

Agreed. Comparing paid print circulation to people on a free email list is hardly worthwhile. 

I enjoy reading the Capital as it is a good aggregation of local news from various sources on the island. I find much of the "investigative" work to be fairly cursory but I realize it is hard to come up with a new story / angle every week.

From what I can tell, the Capital generates revenue from ad placement within its email circulation. I notice that on many days there does not appear to be any ads and then when ads do appear they are not usually from repeat advertisers. 

I hope that Andrew keeps the service running but I don't think that it is killing off the TC any time soon!

If I owned a company that was clearing $200K to $500K a year then I wouldn't be firing my manager.

Edited by spanky123, 31 December 2020 - 08:12 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:13 AM

Job Posting - Podcast Producer and Host (posted Dec. 29, 2020)

Capital Daily is hiring a podcast producer to create a thoughtful, insightful, and fun podcast that will make sense of Victoria and Vancouver Island. Join our growing team to set the pace for the future of Capital Daily podcasts. 

This position reports to the Managing Editor and coordinates with the editorial team. The podcast should take an issues-first approach, seeking out interview subjects based on their ability to meaningfully contribute to the question at hand.

https://www.capitald...fqNgiGCXY4tACg8

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2021 - 07:14 AM.

#32 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:43 PM

They had a podcast which was "paused" in mid-December. I am thinking that it was another management change.

#33 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:29 AM

Been observing Capital Daily's editor, Jimmy Thomson on Twitter. Apparently they are morphing into the propaganda wing of TV...

• rmpeers and seechelle like this

#34 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 07:58 PM

Yeah I get daily e-mails from them so I unsubscribed, still like the post millennial though.

• rjag and Victoria Watcher like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#35 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 07:21 AM

Yeah I get daily e-mails from them so I unsubscribed, still like the post millennial though.

I subscribe to it as well and didnt pay too much attention to the articles until I started seeing the personal twitter feed of their Managing Editor who recently was hired and holy crap its totally shifted to be the mouthpiece for TV.

Todays articles

• Council votes to end daytime sheltering in parks on May 1
  • Renewed pushes to change Victoria school and street names honouring racist officials 
  • Victoria council approves 4 new bike lanes
  • Open letter by library tech criticizes GVPL for pandemic policies' impact on marginalized groups
  • Fundraiser: GoFundMe raising money to help offer social and economic support to the unhoused community of MEEGAN (Beacon Hill Park) and neighbouring encampments. 

Looks like Isitt and TV have their media mouthpiece

Edited by rjag, 20 March 2021 - 07:21 AM.

#36 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 07:12 AM

Where might I find the open letter regarding the library? I would like to read that! 

#37 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:47 AM

Where might I find the open letter regarding the library? I would like to read that! 

Letter to GVPL Board.pdf - Google Drive

Daytime sheltering in parks ending May 1. Bike lane extensions. Vigilante beating condemned by RCMP. (campaign-archive.com)

#38 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 09:09 AM

I subscribe to it as well and didnt pay too much attention to the articles until I started seeing the personal twitter feed of their Managing Editor who recently was hired and holy crap its totally shifted to be the mouthpiece for TV.

[...]

Looks like Isitt and TV have their media mouthpiece

A quick glance through his Twitter feed reveals a lot...especially when you see his rather lame request to try and understand why the Together Victoria political party is being publicly vilified ....because he is new to Victoria.

I find it hard to believe that a highly educated investigative journalist would need to post such a self serving "softball" in order to find the truth. He did the same with Adam Sterling.

His underlying agenda sticks out like a sore thumb. 

Cut the crap Jimmy. You already know why. 

• rjag, pennymurphy2000, rmpeers and 2 others like this

#39 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the link. I want to read carefully. 

#40 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:24 PM

Been observing Capital Daily's editor, Jimmy Thomson on Twitter. Apparently they are morphing into the propaganda wing of TV...

My god....after reviewing his twitter feed we have another Ben Issit.  

If you have to use a car to go from work to get to your kids in time from daycare.....you are the enemy.  Times Colonist articles are extreme right wing?  Apparently the war drums are beating with the Capital Daily.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users