Photo

Capital Daily

• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#121 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:35 AM

As many of have commented here, The Capital reporting is at times sloppy at best. I would not all all be surprised if they wind up with another lawsuit related to the Wallace Driving School articles if charges are not laid in that case.

I think it was you that said something was coming this week maybe the 25th? What was that again.

#122 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:18 AM

I think it was you that said something was coming this week maybe the 25th? What was that again.

I was only speculating as I have no inside knowledge of this case. If it was me and someone told 50K people that I had been arrested for a criminal act when I was not then I would be hopping mad. A mea culpa blaming the 'victim' a day later wouldn't cut it for me as an apology either. My lawyer would probably advise me though to wait until the outcome of the police investigation before I acted. The media had reported that a court date had been set for the 25th.

• Nparker likes this

#123 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:50 PM

News is reporting no charges will be laid against Wallace. Capital Daily should issue a public statement after what they did.

Edited by Banksy, 24 November 2021 - 08:06 PM.

#124 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:51 PM

News is reporting no charges will be laid against Wallace. Capital Daily should issue a public statement after what they did.

Chances = nil.
  • Nparker likes this

#125 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:54 PM

If it was me, the writ would be filed in fairly short order. I would imagine that falsely telling 50K people you committed a felony which ended your career and livelihood and ruined your business would have a fairly big bill attached to it.

I note that the CD has been asking people to pay for their last legal bill. They may have to start separate funds!

I would also be questioning the actions of VicPD here. I understand how this was a hot potato and they were presumably more than willing to pass the buck up the chain, but not having a single charge meeting the required standard is something they should have considered beforehand. If this goes to court they may be a party as well if it is determined that the letter of undertaking was released inappropriately.
  • sebberry likes this

#126 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:02 PM

Agree.

#127 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:04 PM

Will other media tell the no charges story?

TC
CHEK

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 November 2021 - 08:05 PM.

#128 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:07 PM

Yup, at least one. I suspect this will be in tomorrow morning's T-C:

https://www.cheknews...assault-917683/

#129 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:38 AM

Well the CD mentioned the story in their email this morning. They added the last sentence to the Vicnews story. 

The prosecution service, however, after reviewing the police investigation, told Victoria News in a statement that it has determined that the evidence does not meet the charge assessment standard. That standard is a two-part test: first, that there is a "substantial likelihood of conviction," and, if so, that the public interest requires a prosecution.

Edited by spanky123, 25 November 2021 - 10:39 AM.

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:14 AM

As speculated at the onset of this episode, a would-be witness supplying incorrect information (I'd bet 99% unknowingly, mind you) to a media organization becomes a liability for prosecutors. Defence would immediately discredit the witness.

Police recommended three charges. They believed crown would have sufficient evidence to pursue a conviction, so for all three recommended charges to be dropped speaks to integrity, possibly.

In any case, this is a very unfortunate example of how trying to help, and trying to bring justice to someone, can work against the victims when serious matters are handed to individuals without the necessary training and necessary oversight to handle them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#131 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:36 AM

The Capital Daily's reporting on Steve Wallace does not appear to have withstood the test of time:

Attached Images

• Capture.JPG

Edited by JohnsonStBridge, 30 November 2021 - 11:36 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#132 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:41 AM

As speculated at the onset of this episode, a would-be witness supplying incorrect information (I'd bet 99% unknowingly, mind you) to a media organization becomes a liability for prosecutors. Defence would immediately discredit the witness.

Police recommended three charges. They believed crown would have sufficient evidence to pursue a conviction, so for all three recommended charges to be dropped speaks to integrity, possibly.

In any case, this is a very unfortunate example of how trying to help, and trying to bring justice to someone, can work against the victims when serious matters are handed to individuals without the necessary training and necessary oversight to handle them.

At this point we will likely never know the details as Mr. Wallace isn't around to pursue them. I hope the net result is that the Capital rethinks their approach to these types of "investigative" reports.  

#133 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:05 PM

The Capital Daily's reporting on Steve Wallace does not appear to have withstood the test of time:

Not all of it though.  There are still 3 articles, dated September 5th, 9th, 15th.

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:32 PM

Social media banter is focusing on the editor's membership on the board of the Canadian Association of Journalists, which has the following guidelines relating to editing content:

When we make a mistake, whether in fact or in context, and regardless of the platform, we correct* it promptly and in a transparent manner, acknowledging the nature of the error.

We publish or broadcast all corrections, clarifications or apologies in a consistent way.

We generally do not “unpublish” or remove digital content, despite public requests, or “source remorse.” Rare exceptions generally involve matters of public safety, an egregious error or ethical violation, or legal restrictions** such as publication bans.

So according to the CAJ guidelines, content can be removed if an egregious error was made. In this case, multiple errors were made. I don't know if a formal correction has been issued.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#135 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:50 PM

^ I am surprised that social media banter isn't focusing on how the editor is groveling for money to pay for their lawsuit defense when the owner (and co-defendant) is a billionaire. 

• Nparker likes this

#136 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 11:24 AM

Capital Daily is a finalist for four Canadian Online Publishing Awards: Best Podcast, Best Feel-Good Story, Best Ongoing Coverage and Best Investigative Article.
  • Mike K., Victoria Watcher and freedom_2008 like this

#137 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:00 PM

https://twitter.com/...907850249175040

#138 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:24 PM

Tristin was an odd choice to be the launch editor of The Capital. In fact, an odd choice for pretty much anything.

Here's his (presumably self-written) Twitter "bio":

Columnist and reporter at National Post, Canada's only newspaper. Most influential person of Canada. Canada moral leader. Beloved Canadian role model.

#139 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:21 AM

He’s got a sense of humour, yes.

#140 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:28 AM

He’s got a sense of humour, yes.

I think you mean ego.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users