Photo

Capital Daily

• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#161 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 09:34 AM

I pay very little attention to local media. Even free, it's overpriced.

• dasmo likes this

#162 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 03:03 PM

I pay very little attention to local media. Even free, it's overpriced.

What is this?
  • lanforod likes this

#163 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:24 AM

A BC Supreme Court judge has permanently prohibited Capital Daily from publishing a leaked document that raises questions about the RCMP’s conduct at Fairy Creek. 

That’s about as specific as we’re allowed to be, now that the publication ban has been made official; the nature of the document is, in many ways, the key to the story, and talking about what, specifically, it is could land us in hot water and violate the court order. 

What we can tell you is what got us to this point—and that’s a story unto itself. 

A leaked report

A document landed in my inbox on Jan. 18, and its importance was immediately obvious. It raised questions about an important ruling by [redacted], and how the RCMP has been abiding by it or avoiding it in the context of Fairy Creek.

I reached out to the document’s author and to the RCMP to confirm its authenticity, with questions about where it came from, how common this kind of document is, and how it was used. 

Instead of responding to the questions, the author contacted the BC Prosecution Service. The document had been provided to people who are defending against criminal contempt charges. Under Canadian law, defendants have a right to see evidence that could be used against them in order to respond to the charges—this is called the discovery process. But they are not meant to share those documents with the outside world. My being in possession of the document meant that someone had violated that agreement. 

That broken agreement is at the heart of what came next: a publication ban that was swiftly enacted to prevent me from publishing a story about the document. 

https://www.capitald...d-capital-daily

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2022 - 06:28 AM.

#164 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:47 AM

^ The Capital Daily tried to validate a source? I see they have joined some sort of journalism integrity group. I wonder if that was a condition of their lawsuit?

Speaks more to the integrity of their source who tried to publicize documents that they knew were protected by the court.

#165 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 10:49 AM

Apparently the CD's parent is trying to raise $5M. Claims that thanks to a Government 25% payroll program, the CD makes a small profit.

https://thelogic.co/...-north-america/

#166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:00 AM

Why does the Capital Daily need a government handout? For that matter, why does any media? If they are unable to attract advertisers based on their content, then so be it.

#167 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:01 AM

In its pitch to prospective potential investors, OMG emphasizes the importance of government support to its business model. “The government is our silent partner,” reads its pitch, noting the government covers 25 per cent of the salaries the company pays its journalists. The government subsidy is the result of OMG’s status as a qualified Canadian journalism organization—a designation the government gives to news outlets that meet a set of criteria, including publishing original news content. These organizations can apply for a tax credit that offers a credit of up to $13,750, or 25 per cent of salaries for each eligible newsroom employee.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2022 - 11:03 AM.

#168 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:08 AM

...The government subsidy is the result of OMG’s status as a qualified Canadian journalism organization—a designation the government gives to news outlets that meet a set of criteria, including publishing original news content...

So long as it promotes the official government perspective.

#169 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:28 AM

Maybe they made their funding goal:

Good morning! My name is Shannon, and I'm thrilled to be Capital Daily's municipal affairs reporter. I’ve spent the past five years covering provincial politics and the legislature for BC Today and now I’m excited to dig into local politics across the Capital Regional District with fall elections on the way.

A few things about me: My professional passions are politics, policy, and people and the ways they intersect and influence each other. I love taking information that makes a lot of people’s eyes glaze over and finding the story within—what it means, how it matters and why you should care.

I grew up in Victoria and consider myself a typical Island girl: I love the forest and the beach, craft beer, and Cowichan Valley wine, and can recite most of the BC Ferries announcements by heart. Along the way, I’ve lived in Vancouver, Banff and Prince George.

I’m a major bookworm (send me your local fiction and Vancouver Island history recommendations!) and I love big words, although I try to keep them out of my writing. My favourite animal is the octopus, favourite fast food restaurant is A&W, and my favourite way to start a summer day is with a cup of cold brew and a few chapters of my latest read on the front stairs.

Send me cat pictures, gardening tips, and all your local political story ideas!

— Shannon, municipal affairs reporter

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 August 2022 - 06:29 AM.

#170 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:32 AM

No last name?

#171 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:32 AM

That does seem odd.  Likely Waters:

https://ca.linkedin....waters-77963180

https://twitter.com/sobittersosweet

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 August 2022 - 06:34 AM.

#172 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:12 AM

Her favorite animal is the octopus...I guess our VV member has a fan!

#173 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:13 AM

...I guess our VV member has a fan!

Unless she IS that VV member  :rolleyes:

#174 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 10:33 PM

Everyone’s favourite animal is the octopus.

#175 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 10:52 PM

Unless she IS that VV member  :rolleyes:

I don’t even believe if a politician has an affair it should be our business.

#176 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 04:07 AM

Maybe they made their funding goal:

Read that they had something like 170 new members. Short of their 500 member goal but likely enough to afford to hire a writer.

#177 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 04:11 AM

Read that they had something like 170 new members. Short of their 500 member goal but likely enough to afford to hire a writer.

It's $17,000+/yr., anyway.

Not nothing.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 August 2022 - 04:11 AM.

#178 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 04:14 AM

I wonder if they are betting that a lot of ad / advertorial money will be coming in over the next few months due to the elections.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#179 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:10 AM

Also! The Capital Daily local family is growing again! We’re excited to announce the Victoria Tech Journal, your new resource for chronicling and connecting Greater Victoria’s fast-growing tech ecosystem. Subscribe to the twice-weekly newsletter today to keep up.

#180 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:51 AM

^ The Vancouver tech journal has been around for a while and covered Victoria as well.

Edited by spanky123, 23 September 2022 - 09:52 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users