COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#19221 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,183 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:08 PM

^ Which study verified that one hundred thousand fact?

Just in Quebec there were nearly 30,000 unvaccinated, and the government dropped a requirement for them to ever be.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...nated-1.6168812

So extrapolate that (Ontario 15m is almost double the population size of Quebec 8m, Alberta 4m and BC 5m add up to over one Quebec) and you'd easily get to 100,000+ not wanting to be vaccinated across the country.  Some of course did get vaccinated to save their jobs.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 December 2021 - 06:18 PM.

#19222 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:14 PM

I cannot believe that we continue to live in fear as the media publishes videos and photos of politicians partying and having a good old time.

Masks on for the camera and the charade meanwhile laughing and mocking us behind the scenes, whilst regular folk obey the rules, avoid one another, watch helplessly as family members die in hospital alone. Heartbreaking.

Can't you see what's going on?

I'm outraged and so should you be. There is a wave of anger sweeping across the country, across the globe. About bloody time.

TFord 

#19223 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:16 PM

I'm sure we'd likely enjoy a beer together once we found a subject that represented common ground ... but your posts are so "out there" as they relate to COVID-19, I really have nothing to offer in terms of promoting any sort of discussion.

That and the fact that you pull numbers out of thin air and promote them as fact makes conversation impossible.

I agree however, I would still like to hear you're thoughts on why so many medical professionals refuse the vaccine.

TFord 

#19224 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:20 PM

Just in Quebec there were nearly 30,000 unvaccinated, and the government dropped a requirement for them to ever be.

So extrapolate that (Ontario is almost double the population size of Quebec, Alberta and BC add up to over one Quebec) and you'd easily get to 100,000+ not wanting to be vaccinated across the country.  Some of course did get vaccinated to save their jobs.

Thanks VW appreciate that. 

I cannot be arsed to publish facts that are easily obtained via a google search. However it appears that many on this forum get their facts and figures from Macleans CNN & MSNBC.

It is a hopeless situation. 

TFord

#19225 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:28 PM

I cannot believe that we continue to live in fear as the media publishes videos and photos of politicians partying and having a good old time.

Masks on for the camera and the charade meanwhile laughing and mocking us behind the scenes, whilst regular folk obey the rules, avoid one another, watch helplessly as family members die in hospital alone. Heartbreaking.

I'm outraged and so should you be. There is a wave of anger sweeping across the country, across the globe. About bloody time.

TFord 

You may call it living in fear, I call it living cautiously.  I'm vaccinated, and I mask up around those I don't know and when in indoor public spaces like the health orders require.  

Around those I know, I can let my guard down a bit.  You're still allowed to gather with friends and family, and as far as I know, workplace social gatherings are permitted too, without masks.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#19226 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:32 PM

I would still like to hear you're thoughts on why so many medical professionals refuse the vaccine.

TFord 

Nurses and most doctors aren’t virologists. The nurse that changes your bedpan not wanting to get vaccinated means absolutely nothing. 

You’re a rank amateur offering medical advice as if you’re a professional that actually knows what they’re talking about. 

You have a personal opinion … nothing more. 

I’m not interested in personal opinions … I’m only interested in hard science, and following the medical advice offered by virologists and epidemiologists. 

• SimonH likes this

#19227 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:39 PM

TFord

There is no grand global conspiracy. Do you think anybody could pull that off? Do you have any hard evidence of a conspiracy?

The sad thing is that it is those who are most opposed to restrictions that are filling up the hospitals and prolonging the pandemic.

#19228 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:40 PM

So extrapolate that (Ontario 15m is almost double the population size of Quebec 8m, Alberta 4m and BC 5m add up to over one Quebec) and you'd easily get to 100,000+ not wanting to be vaccinated across the country. Some of course did get vaccinated to save their jobs.

That was over 1/4 of a year ago before the deadline. I need something that tells me that 100,000 health care workers are unvaccinated TODAY.

#19229 LJ

LJ
  • 12,756 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 07:35 PM

I have to chip in here...

We will never get to 100% when in my estimate 20-30% of the population aren't vaccinated against Covid-19. You can of course choose to believe the numbers in the media, all propaganda of course.  

TFord 

Sure we will, when all the unvaccinated die we will be at 100%

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19230 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 11:00 PM

I just find it fascinating how skilled some people are at manipulating supposed stats. For something meaningful you would have to know the exact number of medical doctors, RNs and practical nurses are opposed to vaccination. Lumping in all "medical professionals"  is including all sort of other groups such as chiropractors, natural paths and people who read auras

Before one gets too excited about the Quebec numbers one has to realie that includes caffateria staff, cleaners, parking staff and office staff and grounds keepers.

For example, using the same methods I suspect that the majority of GPs and drug addicts believe that drugs should be free and that addiction is not a real problem.. 

#19231 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 11:17 PM

I just find it fascinating how skilled some people are at manipulating supposed stats. For something meaningful you would have to know the exact number of medical doctors, RNs and practical nurses are opposed to vaccination. Lumping in all "medical professionals"  is including all sort of other groups such as chiropractors, natural paths and people who read auras

Before one gets too excited about the Quebec numbers one has to realie that includes caffateria staff, cleaners, parking staff and office staff and grounds keepers.

For example, using the same methods I suspect that the majority of GPs and drug addicts believe that drugs should be free and that addiction is not a real problem.. 

absolute nonsense! It was a majority of highly skilled medical staff declining the vaccine. Furthermore, it's not just Quebec.

Sebbery - I was referring to the news breaking from the UK that whilst the majority of the country was in a strict lockdown last Christmas,

Politicians were having Christmas parties whilst mocking the general public! It is terrible. 

It looks as though we could see the resignation of Boris Johnston before this is over - apparently there is more to come. 

TFord 

#19232 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 11:18 PM

Sure we will, when all the unvaccinated die we will be at 100%

that's helpful - sleep well.

TFord 

#19233 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2021 - 11:22 PM

https://www.cnn.com/...igan/index.html

"We have more patients than we've ever had at any point, and we're seeing more people die at a rate we've never seen die before," said Jim Dover, president and CEO of Sparrow Health System.

Katie Sefton said she's now seeing younger patients die from Covid-19.

"Since January, we've had about 289 deaths; 75% are unvaccinated people," Dover said. "And the very few (vaccinated people) who passed away all were more than 6 months out from their shot. So we've not had a single person who has had a booster shot die from Covid."

Among the new Covid-19 victims, Sefton said she's noticed a disturbing trend.
"We're seeing a lot of younger people. And I think that is a bit challenging," said Sefton, a 20-year nursing veteran.
She recalls helping the family of a young adult say goodbye to their loved one.
"It was an awful night," she said. "That was one of the days I went home and just cried."

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#19234 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2021 - 11:25 PM

This young chap, fairly well known in the YouTube car community, spent 44 days in the hospital with COVID.  He was intubated in a medically induced coma.  

https://www.instagra.../p/CWowsl7PN37/

I’m back! I spent a total of 44 days in the hospital and 61 days since I first got delta. I’m still recovering, but I’m functional enough to get back into the world. It’s been a wild ride and I’m overwhelmed by the support all of you have given! Literally speechless. My vocal chords were damaged by the intubation and will take a little longer to recover, but I’m told I should make a full recovery (apart from lung damage)

https://www.instagra.../p/CUvLi0iFpMM/

This is a very difficult post to make as I sit in a hospital room for the 9th day, knowing that I will be here for so much longer. Unfortunately, I contracted a severe case of covid. It's an aggressive case that's attacked both of my lungs. I am thankfully not on a ventilator but I am on full oxygen output. I only have 20% of my lungs functioning. I've never had this much difficulty breathing before and I'm told this could last for many more weeks. The other Ben is holding down the fort at the G&G headquarters with Luke and Devonte and will be continuing operations editing some footage that we already had filmed. Please bear with us through this time. I get exhausted very easy doing simple task and sitting up winds me. I will not be on social media while I recover but your continued support of the channel and us are appreciated.

#19235 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,183 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:58 AM

So one guy at the game had the virus.  One guy, who doesn't exactly mix with the fans widely, he's the GM.  And the entire crowd is vaccinated.  And as I've said before, the virus cannot spread like fire.

We've gone nuts.  At least the health authority did not tell 20,000 people to isolate.

https://torontosun.c...er-wizards-game

Toronto Public Health advises 19,800 Raptors fans to self-monitor for COVID symptoms

Anyone at the game Sunday December 5 should watch for symptoms after GM Ujiri tests positive

#19236 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,183 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 04:12 AM

Thirty University of Victoria students have become ill with the COVID-19 virus and more have come forward to be tested, Island Health confirmed Friday.

The students caught the virus at gatherings off-campus, then went back to their homes or rooms in residence, said Dr. Richard Stanwick, Island Health’s chief medical health officer.

To date, no one has been hospitalized and the students are only displaying mild symptoms.

https://www.timescol...-tested-4854496

That's an awfully quick conclusion.  That all 30 caught the virus "off campus".  How convenient.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 December 2021 - 04:13 AM.

#19237 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 08:00 AM

What I found chilling is the young mans statement that he will fully recouver apart from lung damage. Lung damage, as I well know, can be extremely crippling and generally does not repair.  For a younger man this is just horrible.

#19238 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,123 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 09:05 AM

Unvaccinated Cold Lake First Nation chief gets COVID-19 and is now encouraging everyone to get the shots
Roger Marten started to feel sluggish back in September – and then COVID-19 took over.
https://www.aptnnews...-get-the-shots/

India is the world's top hot spot for COVID-19 misinformation, accounting for roughly one in six pieces of global output, according to a University of Alberta master's student who studies world media.

Hard on India's heels are the U.S., Brazil and Spain, said Sayeed Al-Zaman of the U of A's Department of Media and Technology Studies. And the greater the prevalence of misinformation, the higher the COVID fatality rate in most countries he examined.

In his study, published in the journal of the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, Al-Zaman analyzed 9,657 pieces of COVID misinformation originating in 138 countries between January 2020 and March 2021.

The data were compiled by Florida's Poynter Institute for Media Studies—a non-profit organization aimed at reducing the prevalence of misinformation around the world—and fact-checked by 94 organizations.

The results show that India had the highest prevalence of misinformation at about 16 percent of the total—including stories about the coronavirus generating magnetic properties in the human body and claims that lemon juice can kill the virus when shoved up the nose.

The United States followed with 10 percent, Brazil with nine percent and Spain with eight percent. Canada was in 26th place with just under one percent.

https://phys.org/new...nformation.html

A new study from the University of Sheffield has calculated the long term economic impact of Covid-19 on city centres, and found that as the shift towards working from home moves businesses to suburban areas, city centres stand to lose £3 billion in 2022.

Dr Jesse Matheson, from the University of Sheffield’s Department of Economics, worked with researchers from the universities of Nottingham and Birmingham to compare how often people will be working from home in the next year compared to before the pandemic, and what effect that will have on the revenue generated by city centres.

He discovered that on average, people will be working roughly one day a week more at home than they were before the pandemic, which could have huge long term consequences for the hospitality and retail industries, which have already faced a tumultuous 18 months.

It is expected that the extra day of working from home will be a permanent shift as a result of the pandemic, which has seen everyone’s lives change dramatically since the first lockdown in March 2021.

As people spend more time in suburban areas as a result of working from home, they will not be providing the economic benefits to city centres that office workers previously would, such as going to coffee shops, buying lunch, or going shopping after work. These shifts could see roughly 77,000 people who work in the hospitality and retail industries be forced to either relocate to jobs in suburbs or lose their jobs completely.

Not only could these changes lead to tens of thousands of low income workers losing their jobs, but it could make inequalities between rich and poor areas even worse - the study found that, as people who are more affluent are more likely to be able to work from home, the money being lost by city centre shops is more likely to be recuperated in higher income suburbs.

Dr Jesse Matheson, lead author of the paper from the University of Sheffield’s Department of Economics, said: “We estimate that about £3 billion in annual spending will leave city centers as a result of working from home. This decrease will be concentrated in a few very dense centres; for example, the City of London will experience a spending decrease of 31.6 per cent, and central Birmingham will experience a decrease of 8 per cent. Some of this spending will be realised in the residential areas where these workers live, but some may be lost altogether. As suburban neighbourhoods lack the density of city centres, many retail and hospitality businesses will find it is not profitable to relocate.

https://www.eurekale...releases/937277

Yellow Vests Protest in Paris Against Mandatory COVID Vaccination
https://sputniknews....1091440501.html

COVID Sceptics Hold Rally Against Mandatory Vaccination and COVID-19 Restrictions in Vienna
https://sputniknews....1091432778.html

MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday voiced hope for a quick approval of the country’s Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine by the World Health Organization, saying the move is essential to expand its global supplies.

https://apnews.com/a...380971531648210

Over 1.16 bln Chinese fully vaccinated against COVID-19
http://www.ecns.cn/n...iu7539529.shtml

US Weekly COVID-19 Cases Up 37%, Deaths Increase by 28%
https://sputniknews....1091427719.html

The Omicron strain of the coronavirus was detected in California’s wastewater last month, even before the World Health Organization declared it a “variant of concern,” lab data suggest.

In a statement to The Times, the California Department of Public Health said that a sample of wastewater collected in Merced County on Nov. 25 contained a mutation that suggests the Omicron variant was present in California at that time.

That’s one day after South African scientists informed the World Health Organization of the new variant and a day before the WHO gave it the name Omicron and declared it the newest coronavirus variant of concern.

The finding reinforces observations that scientists have made in recent weeks: that Omicron was rapidly spreading across the world before global health officials were aware it existed.

https://www.latimes....samples-suggest

Pentagon Considering COVID-19 Booster Mandate for Troops
https://www.military...ate-troops.html

A controversial Idaho pathologist, who has been a vocal critic of COVID-19 vaccines, and his laboratory are no longer in a group of about 2,800 health care providers, responsible for the care — and lab tests — of about 160,000 Idahoans, writes Idaho Capital Sun reporter Audrey Dutton.
It’s unclear whether the network, St. Luke’s Health Partners, chose to eject Dr. Ryan Cole and his laboratory, Cole Diagnostics, or if Cole himself chose to leave the network. Cole and his wife, who acts as his media liaison, did not respond to email or text messages Tuesday.
https://www.idahopre...9cab990b33.html

Dr. John Witcher, the founder of a group of physicians who are against vaccine mandates, recently said he was fired from the Baptist Memorial Hospital in Yazoo City, Mississippi after he treated COVID-19 patients with Ivermectin.

In a video shared to Telegram on Monday, Witcher said hospital officials asked him to leave his post in the emergency room after he took three patients off of remdesivir—a COVID-19 medication approved by the FDA—and replaced it with ivermectin—an anti-parasite medication that has not been approved for the treatment of COVID-19 by the FDA.

"I was aware I was going against the hospital policy on ivermectin but still felt like, as the treating physician of these patients, that I had that option," Witcher said in the video, reviewed by the Sun Herald newspaper.

https://www.newsweek...atients-1657471

As COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations rise sharply in Missouri, local health departments are abandoning efforts to stop the spread of the pandemic disease, saying their hands have been tied by the state's attorney general and a recent court ruling.

One local agency, the Laclede County Health Department, northeast of Springfield, announced that it has ceased all COVID-19-related work, including case investigations, contact tracing, quarantine orders, and public announcements of current cases and deaths.

"While this is a huge concern for our agency, we have no other options but to follow the orders of the Missouri Attorney General at this time," the department wrote in a Facebook post on December 9.

*snip*

Still, health officials in Laclede and elsewhere are pulling back rather than ramping up health prevention measures, citing a December 7 letter from state Attorney General Eric Schmitt. The letter informed them of a recent court ruling that stripped state health agencies of a variety of disease-prevention powers, particularly regarding issuing isolation and quarantine orders. "You should stop enforcing and publicizing any such orders immediately," the letter read.

The ruling comes from Judge Daniel Green of the Cole County Circuit Court, who entered a judgment on November 22 in the case of Shannon Robinson, et. al., v. Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS). Robinson and her co-plaintiffs challenged health agencies' powers to issue restrictions to prevent the spread of disease, such as ordering quarantines. Attorney General Schmitt defended DHSS in the case and has refused to appeal its outcome.

Green ruled, essentially, that it was unconstitutional for the state to delegate disease prevention powers to unelected health officials.

*snip*

Meanwhile, Kauerauf requested that Attorney General Schmitt appeal Green's ruling, according to the Kansas City Star. But Schmitt refused to appeal the case and immediately began enforcing Green's ruling, sending letters to local health departments.

"Today, I sent a letter to public health agencies and school districts across the state informing them of the decision and demanding they rescind and cease enforcement and publicizing of public health orders, mask mandates, quarantine orders, or other orders that were declared null and void by the recent decision,” Schmitt said in a press release December 7. “Public health authorities and school districts have gone unchecked, issuing illegal and unconstitutional orders in their quest to aggregate, maintain, and exert their new-found power. My Office will enforce the Court’s order across the state.”

Schmitt is running for US Senate and has spent the pandemic suing cities and school districts in an effort to overturn mask mandates, as Ars has reported previously.

https://arstechnica....covid-measures/

#19239 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,571 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 09:22 AM

Marian Turski on hate speech and “othering” people.

https://youtu.be/1ZAT4cYE7cw

#19240 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,123 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 09:40 AM

In Portuguese, more commonly in its Brazilian variant, troll (produced [ˈtɾɔw] in most of Brazil as spelling pronunciation) is the usual term to denote Internet trolls (examples of common derivate terms are trollismo or trollagem, "trolling", and the verb trollar, "to troll", which entered popular use), but an older expression, used by those which want to avoid anglicisms or slangs, is complexo do pombo enxadrista to denote trolling behavior, and pombos enxadristas (literally, "chessplayer pigeons") or simply pombos are the terms used to name the trolls. The terms are explained by an adage or popular saying: "Arguing with fulano (i.e., John Doe) is the same as playing chess with a pigeon: it defecates on the table, drops the pieces and simply flies off, claiming victory."

https://en.wikipedia.../Internet_troll

Edited by amor de cosmos, 11 December 2021 - 09:42 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users