Local businesses permanently closed amid 2020 COVID-19 crisis

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#461 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:33 PM

AK Green Initiatives, my long time garbage bag supplier, had hit the pause button due to covid and their ability to source materials, but they are back at it again! Got a fresh delivery this week. Woo!

Matt.

#462 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,342 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:20 AM

Moores:

Lawrence Larsen, manager of the Uptown store, said the three Island locations will continue to operate.

At least two stores — both in Surrey — have not reopened.

Larsen said the Uptown location is operating without 40 per cent of its usual staff.

He said sales since reopening have been “consistent, but overall the business is really down” from previous years.

https://www.timescol...open-1.24180833

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 03:20 AM.

#463 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:43 PM

Moores:

Lawrence Larsen, manager of the Uptown store, said the three Island locations will continue to operate.

At least two stores — both in Surrey — have not reopened.

Larsen said the Uptown location is operating without 40 per cent of its usual staff.

He said sales since reopening have been “consistent, but overall the business is really down” from previous years.

https://www.timescol...open-1.24180833

Who would be buying suits right now? I literally wore sweatpants for three months & hardly brushed my hair. I feel badly for their employees- hopefully they’ll make it through

#464 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

AK Green Initiatives, my long time garbage bag supplier, had hit the pause button due to covid and their ability to source materials, but they are back at it again! Got a fresh delivery this week. Woo!

Matt.

You just know times are tough when garbage bags bring excitement! :-)

• Matt R. and Redd42 like this

#465 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:15 AM

Hey, what can I say, we use 9 or 10 every day, and getting best quality and service for lowest price from a local supplier is the holy grail!

I basically manage inventory for a living. :)

Matt.
  • johnk2 likes this

#466 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:44 AM

You should see him when the Rinse-Aid arrives.

• Mike K., Matt R. and johnk2 like this

#467 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:35 PM

Potato management was a big deal in late June and early July!

Matt.
  • Redd42 likes this

#468 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:22 PM

Party crashers (both locations) have closed their doors last week, with covid parties are not happening so people are not needing party supplies...

Also Parthenon Pizza in Esquimalt closed, they never reopened after covid lockdowns in the spring. i'll admit i always enjoyed their pizza (used to regularly buy it by the slice...but i heard many people had problems trying to contact them to place orders, and their social media was a bit of a joke) it never felt like they were truly into running the pizza place...and now a new business is open in it's place Capones Chicken (but i heard it's the same owner)

#469 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,342 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 04:44 AM

Campbell River firefighters were called to a large blaze at a homeless camp Thursday night where they encountered several traps” while accessing the location in a wooded area near Highway 28 and Highway 19.

“Yes, when they were trying to find access in the crews did find a few areas where there was some fishing line and barbed wire across the trail network at some pretty concerning heights like at the thigh and neck level,” said Campbell River Fire Chief Thomas Doherty.

It’s not believed the man was targeting firefighters or police with the traps, but other homeless people who come in the night to steal stuff.

The camp, used by a single man, was full of other dangers as well.

“You never know what you’re going to find in here, there’s a lot of combustible material, there’s a lot of flammables,” added Doherty. “I think there were six propane cylinders on site that were involved in the fire.”

The man had left a fire burning in a homemade fireplace that spread through the camp after he left.

https://www.cheknews...mp-fire-708378/

#470 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:54 AM

What a sloppy article.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#471 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 10:04 AM

Some on-trend words from our Mayor to shop local..

"...Our economy is local now more than ever, so I encourage all Victoria residents to continue to eat, drink and shop locally throughout the winter months and beyond."

https://www.timescol...ally-1.24218664

Edited by kitty surprise, 10 October 2020 - 10:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users