COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#681 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:02 AM

I’ve got a yard full of fallen leaves already. Fall feels like it’s coming early, indeed.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#682 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:08 AM

I’ve got a yard full of fallen leaves already. Fall feels like it’s coming early, indeed.

Winter is coming.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#683 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:09 AM

Though we will still have some nice outdoor sitting weather, we are already seeing hints that we are headed into our cooler weather. Once that hits, I think we will see more closed eating and drinking establishments.

the 14-day forecast is not bad but (solid 20 to 22) there are likely no 25-degree days left for this year's calendar.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 August 2020 - 07:09 AM.

#684 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:13 AM

Keep in mind that in the downtown areas temperatures are always cooler and it can be windier. I’m seeing 18-20 for downtown as highs for the next week or so, and 11-13 for lows.

Lots of dew this morning. I think this might just be the first time I’ve seen dew this summer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#685 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:21 AM

I think a lot of people. me included, will sit outside in shoulder season weather this year. I like to eat out and have a few beers, and I'm happy to do so outside, but not really keen to be inside at this point. But when the rainy season starts properly, that's a whole different thing. 

#686 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:36 AM

I think a lot of people. me included, will sit outside in shoulder season weather this year. I like to eat out and have a few beers, and I'm happy to do so outside, but not really keen to be inside at this point. But when the rainy season starts properly, that's a whole different thing.

Agreed.

If I was in the biz however I would be less worried about weather than I would be the near term.

XMAS party season is gone. The corporate event and conference season is gone. Office lunches and dinners are gone.

What is left are people living on fixed income and 20-30 somethings on a budget.

Once the CERB and wage subsidies stop the real pain will appear. Good thing our friends at City Hall want to hire diversity staff.
  • Matt R. likes this

#687 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:02 AM

yes the christmas season in general of course accounts for so much commerce in many sectors esp. retail hospitality and travel and events.    how will that be affected this year?

#688 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:04 PM

Actually, that was my first time dining downtown since March. I’ve been downtown multiple times since but never to dine.
Chatting with our server once we found a spot, she said the situation economically for her restaurant and those of her colleagues who work in the service industry was grim. And this is a place with the outside seating newly installed along the street, but most importantly along Government.

Hey Mike,

Did they take your first and last name and phone or email when you sat down?

Matt.

#689 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:06 PM

Hey Mike,

Matt.

I'm out a lot downtown in restaurants/bars.  Many do ask though not all, maybe 60/40 ask.

#690 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:09 PM

First AND last name?

Collection of contact info isn’t required (sort of), but it appears nearly every place is doing it... or saying they are, but it’s hit and miss or just marketing and not actually happening at all. I’m doing an informal poll.

Matt.

#691 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:17 PM

First AND last name?

Collection of contact info isn’t required (sort of), but it appears nearly every place is doing it... or saying they are, but it’s hit and miss or just marketing and not actually happening at all. I’m doing an informal poll.

Matt.

Well I think for most people it's first and last name, just one person per table.  Just having the ability to reach out, so not sure a last name is even important.  No not nearly every place is doing, at least that hasn't been my experience.  

#692 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:20 PM

No, the health order is explicit - must be first and last name. A few people bristle at this for some reason.

Matt.

#693 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:42 PM

Hey Mike,

Matt.

They did, and just the phone number. I believe it was only the first name though.

Know it all.

#694 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:46 PM

First AND last name?

Matt.

Probably asked about 60-70% of the time. I've offered first name and cell phone everywhere which was adequate except for one place that asked for last name as well.

#695 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:03 PM

No, the health order is explicit - must be first and last name. A few people bristle at this for some reason.

Matt.

Yeah I get the order, but how many people will answer my phone named Ismo?  Realistically first name is enough...  Maybe no name even as cell phones are pretty personal.

#696 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:17 PM

They already know you’re pulling their leg with a fake name like Ismo.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#697 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:30 PM

They already know you’re pulling their leg with a fake name like Ismo.

and a 6 digit phone number...

#698 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:51 PM

The six digit trick, eh? I just give them Matt R.’s.

Know it all.

#699 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:14 PM

A New Global Depression Is Coming - Time https://apple.news/A...BTfqy53uW5MCxlQ

"People need leaders to take responsibility for tough decisions."

#700 LJ

LJ
  • 12,743 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:39 PM

Yesterday at a downtown restaurant we stood at the entrance, and stood some more, then finally left when nobody from staff came up to allow us in.

Why do you have to be allowed in? I just go in and go to a vacant table unless it's a wait to be seated place.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users