COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#701 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:43 PM

Yeah I get the order, but how many people will answer my phone named Ismo?  Realistically first name is enough...  Maybe no name even as cell phones are pretty personal.

Yah I feel similarly but we’re enforcing the last name requirement. No last name no service. Last thing I need is any heat from the fuzz.

Matt.
  • Wayne likes this

#702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:54 PM

Why do you have to be allowed in? I just go in and go to a vacant table unless it's a wait to be seated place.

Restaurants now require you to be met by a staff member, your info collected, hands sanitized, then seated.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#703 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:56 PM

^Not the ones I've been to. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#704 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:42 PM

Restaurants now require you to be met by a staff member, your info collected, hands sanitized, then seated.

I believe this is for licensed establishments only. I don’t think sanitizer is part of the order.

VIHA, VFD and VPD are making the rounds downtown lately.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 08 August 2020 - 12:56 AM.

#705 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:59 AM

Greater Victoria’s unemployment rate increased for the fifth straight month in July as it hit 11.1 per cent last month according to numbers released by Statistics Canada Friday.

The monthly labour force survey showed the region added 5,200 jobs last month, but the total labour force increased by 6,500 at the same time, leading to a slight increase in the unemployment rate. The unemployment rate was 11 per cent in June.

The rate has climbed since February, when it was 3.2 per cent, as the economic effects of the pandemic took hold.

The rate jumped from 4.6 per cent in March to 7.2 in April and then to 10 per cent in May.

https://www.timescol...gain-1.24183257

#706 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:17 AM

And we’re in peak hiring season right now. It’s not going to get any better, except for a short stint during December, but who knows how that’ll turn out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#707 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:08 AM

Speaking of hiring...I saw "We're hiring" signs in every big store I stopped in yesterday - London Drugs, Market on Yates, CDN Tire.

I imagine it is partly all the govt money. But maybe just as much people not wanting to work in such a public capacity. I know I sure wouldn't right now.

#708 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:45 AM

The unemployment rate does not include those who are on CERB, correct?

Know it all.

#709 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:03 PM

The unemployment rate does not include those who are on CERB, correct?

The unemployment rate does not include those who respond that they are not looking for work. That could be CERB or other reasons.

Interesting that the unemployment rate went to 11.2% in Victoria although 6,000 more people were working.

https://www2.gov.bc....data_tables.pdf

Edited by spanky123, 08 August 2020 - 03:05 PM.

#710 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:29 AM

Around 158,000 businesses are at risk of shutting down for good

https://financialpos...b-d774c57fb17a/

#711 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:38 AM

Ten B.C. hotel workers have committed to an open-ended hunger strike in hopes of pressuring the government to ensure laid-off workers’ jobs are secured.

“We’ve seen a lack of leadership in terms of ensuring these jobs are protected, meanwhile the same hotel industry that is terminating long term employees are asking for a $680 million bailout,” said Zailda Chan, president of Unite Here Local 40. “This is why we’re resorting to such drastic measures.”

According to Chan, at least 80 per cent of the union’s members in Greater Victoria have been laid off, most have been unemployed since mid-March.

https://www.vicnews....job-protection/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2020 - 11:38 AM.

#712 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:01 PM

I won't eat at a restaurant that requires my name and number. I don't want the risk of being contact traced and whatever comes with that. Going out is about the experience. If the experience sucks why bother? I might also add that If someone is afraid of a deadly contagious virus why are they going out to a restaurant? Putting a piece of fabric in front of your face will not protect you. That's proven. It's why our BC nurses union won their case against mandatory masking if they didn't get the flu shot.... 

#713 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:15 PM

I maintain that maskings biggest impact is a constant reminder to stay back.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#714 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:24 PM

I maintain that maskings biggest impact is a constant reminder to stay back.

That would be fine if there weren't potential health and social impacts with mass mask wearing. Breathing ones own CO2 and whatever bacteria and mold accumulates on a mask that is breathed into and sweated on day in and day out should be considered. Perhaps it's more to remind us that there is a deadly pandemic because as the stats show there isn't really any other indicators.

#715 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:43 PM

Breathing ones own CO2 

This is nonsense and you know it.  If the masks were so sealed up as to cause you to breathe your own CO2, you'd be dead in minutes.  In fact, there wouldn't be any airflow and you'd be grasping to pull it off.  

• Brayvehart likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#716 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:47 PM

it should likely be noted you exhale mostly air.  oxygen and nitrogen.  it's higher in co2 then what goes in with each breath.  but it's only a 4% difference in oxygen.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2020 - 05:48 PM.

#717 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:30 PM

I'm just waiting for examples of all the oxygen deprived surgeons fainting during surgery on their patients.

• Rob Randall, Redd42, Wayne and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#718 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:44 PM

That would be fine if there weren't potential health and social impacts with mass mask wearing. Breathing ones own CO2 and whatever bacteria and mold accumulates on a mask that is breathed into and sweated on day in and day out should be considered. Perhaps it's more to remind us that there is a deadly pandemic because as the stats show there isn't really any other indicators.

I think you change masks daily or wash it, jeez basic hygiene. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#719 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

This is nonsense and you know it.  If the masks were so sealed up as to cause you to breathe your own CO2, you'd be dead in minutes.  In fact, there wouldn't be any airflow and you'd be grasping to pull it off.  

aha gotcha! so they also can't keep in or out a virus then! 

#720 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:18 AM

NYTImes:

"For four months, the Victoria’s Secret flagship store at Herald Square in Manhattan has been closed and not paying its $937,000 monthly rent."

And you thought Government Street rents were high.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users