Photo

COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#1601 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:38 AM

I think the difference will be that there is little sense of unity leading for more to seek other jobs and more often.  1 to 3 years and off to 'greener' pastures.  I've been seeing it over the last 5 years more than ever.  Long serving employees retire and in a short time their jobs have turned of a handful of times.  I'm not even learning names till someone sticks around for 6 months. ;)

It is a double edged sword however, last in first out when times are tight. I have been through a few layoff cycles with companies over the years and new employees are the least expensive to let go. 

Edited by spanky123, 31 May 2021 - 10:47 AM.

#1602 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:46 AM

Is this a new push?

Some councillors have spoken about survival crimes in recent months.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1603 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:48 AM

Has anyone asked the City of Victoria how they plan to address the very real and serious potential for store closures as a result of some councillors seeking to decriminalize survival shoplifting? Reading headlines about SFO today sounds like something very familiar to Victorians. Retailers in SFO would rather close outlets in high crime areas (like downtown cores) than allow shoplifting to continue following near-decriminalization (it’s no longer a felony) of theft under $950.

And what are the retailers seeing? Organized crime robbing their stores under the guise of poverty. Unintended consequences have created serious repercussions for populations losing retail amenities.

I think most states are around $1,000 for theft to be a felony, not sure that is entirely new...  Are you serious that organized crime is shoplifting now in Victoria?  Interesting narrative I haven't heard yet.  With respect to stores opening and closing, that's still going to ebb a little more than flow for now.  If the Bay goes then we will see some issues certainly similar to when Eaton's left the downtown.  I'm not sure the Bay is as much the anchor that Eaton's was back then, but it wouldn't be good.

#1604 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:48 AM

^ Didn't the Mayor and Police Chief acknowledge a couple of years ago now that petty crimes would not be pursued unless organized crime or weapons were involved?

#1605 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:54 AM

^ Didn't the Mayor and Police Chief acknowledge a couple of years ago now that petty crimes would not be pursued unless organized crime or weapons were involved?

I have not heard of such.  Have petty crimes really ever been pursued?  Are they more in other municipalities?

Edited by Ismo07, 31 May 2021 - 10:54 AM.

#1606 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:57 AM

I think most states are around $1,000 for theft to be a felony, not sure that is entirely new... Are you serious that organized crime is shoplifting now in Victoria? Interesting narrative I haven't heard yet. With respect to stores opening and closing, that's still going to ebb a little more than flow for now. If the Bay goes then we will see some issues certainly similar to when Eaton's left the downtown. I'm not sure the Bay is as much the anchor that Eaton's was back then, but it wouldn't be good.

Of course there is organized crime involved. The people breaking into cars ripping out stereos are not doing it for a stereo collection, they’re funnelling those items to a network of stolen goods dealers.

Theft in grocery stores and consumer stores has its connections to organized crime, too. Where there’s opportunity organized crime exploits it. Nothing is too small and no opportunity in-opportune.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

I have not heard of such. Have petty crimes really ever been pursued? Are they more in other municipalities?

Of course they are pursued. A loss prevention officer was just stabbed in your city. Are you not following this?

Know it all.

#1608 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 11:12 AM

Of course there is organized crime involved. The people breaking into cars ripping out stereos are not doing it for a stereo collection, they’re funnelling those items to a network of stolen goods dealers.

Theft in grocery stores and consumer stores has its connections to organized crime, too. Where there’s opportunity organized crime exploits it. Nothing is too small and no opportunity in-opportune.

I have dealt with people who have had their cars broken into, I cannot recall the last time a stereo was removed out of a vehicle.  It's usually something easy to grab like a laptop (not sure why people leave laptops), cell phone, loose change, a blanket in the back or suit case, even a surf board or golf clubs.  A stereo?  Wasn't that more in the 80's and 90's.  I'm going to look into this one a little more.

#1609 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 11:15 AM

Of course they are pursued. A loss prevention officer was just stabbed in your city. Are you not following this?

Well Spanky asked so...  I think the discussion was related to police.  If that thief had just ran away how much would the theft have been pursued, not in an on foot sense?  Seems pretty common for loss prevention officers to be stabbed during a shoplifting incident.

Edited by Ismo07, 31 May 2021 - 11:19 AM.

#1610 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 11:30 AM

I have dealt with people who have had their cars broken into, I cannot recall the last time a stereo was removed out of a vehicle. It's usually something easy to grab like a laptop (not sure why people leave laptops), cell phone, loose change, a blanket in the back or suit case, even a surf board or golf clubs. A stereo? Wasn't that more in the 80's and 90's. I'm going to look into this one a little more.

I’m illustrating a point. I don’t care what they steal, it’s the theft and the damage to the vehicle that is an unseen tax in your community.

Know it all.

#1611 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 11:41 AM

I’m illustrating a point. I don’t care what they steal, it’s the theft and the damage to the vehicle that is an unseen tax in your community.

Jeez Mike this happens everywhere even in your community...  Obviously density brings more as does other issues...  I'm just not really convinced it's an organized crime ring (your main point) breaking into cars and shoplifting. 

Edited by Ismo07, 31 May 2021 - 11:41 AM.

#1612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 12:08 PM

It's not solely organized crime. But I'm pointing to an example of how survival crime-related legislation created to help people living in poverty ended up creating an organized crime scenario in San Francisco that is forcing the closure of retail amenities depended on by the local population.

But who am I kidding. I realize this is a moot point. City Hall set the scene for a drug dealing organized crime ring last year in a tent city created to help people facing homelessness (unintended consequences).

Know it all.

#1613 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,870 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 12:41 PM

I have dealt with people who have had their cars broken into, I cannot recall the last time a stereo was removed out of a vehicle.  It's usually something easy to grab like a laptop (not sure why people leave laptops), cell phone, loose change, a blanket in the back or suit case, even a surf board or golf clubs.  A stereo?  Wasn't that more in the 80's and 90's.  I'm going to look into this one a little more.

yes i imagine the car strereo theft thing is becoming a thing of the past.  now your phone is the player, you just need an amp in the car somehow, usually via bluetooth i guess.

built-ins that come with the car are 100x better than the 80's too.  and they don't physically fit back into just any car anymore.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2021 - 12:41 PM.

• Ismo07 likes this

#1614 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 12:48 PM

It's not solely organized crime. But I'm pointing to an example of how survival crime-related legislation created to help people living in poverty ended up creating an organized crime scenario in San Francisco that is forcing the closure of retail amenities depended on by the local population.

But who am I kidding. I realize this is a moot point. City Hall set the scene for a drug dealing organized crime ring last year in a tent city created to help people facing homelessness (unintended consequences).

Mike you were trying to talk about vehicle break-ins and how part of that's organized crime.  I do have some insight because over the last year or so I have felt that vehicle break-ins are way down, at least downtown.  I feel that many people are taking the advice of not having valuables in sight.  I have asked VicPD about common things stolen which appear to be loose change, insurance documents, wallets, purses etc.  Even gym clothes.  We also seem to be at the lowest break ins at this point of the year in about 10 years.  Till today there have been 384 reported break ins in 2021..  The last two years there were over 800 at this point in the year.  I know we don't enjoy positive stories but that sounds pretty good..  At least the reduction 2-3 break ins a day still suck for those people but if it's cut in half perhaps that's good.  I know you want to paint the worst picture for the City, almost seems to the point your skepticism is working overtime.  Not everything is perfect and likely never will be, but somethings aren't as bad as they might appear to be through that lens you are looking through.

How about you find a positive soon, you can follow it up with a cheeky remark if you'd like.  We'll call it an "insultement"... Everyone... give it a try :)

Edited by Ismo07, 31 May 2021 - 12:54 PM.

• vortoozo, Brayvehart, m3m and 1 other like this

#1615 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 May 2021 - 01:13 PM

Whats the percentage of breakins relative to parking numbers instead of the raw numbers? Might be a bit more accurate given that travel to downtown is lower for many reasons, Covid at the top.

#1616 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 01:16 PM

Whats the percentage of breakins relative to parking numbers instead of the raw numbers? Might be a bit more accurate given that travel to downtown is lower for many reasons, Covid at the top.

I did think about that a little but parking is no where near 50%.  Just cause there is 50% less car (if you wanted that number) I don't think there are 50% less reasons to break into vehicles right?  I think if 50% of the crooks were confined then we might see a reason for less break-ins not the other way around.  I mean we are talking about the difference of 2-4 break-ins a day but still over between 16,000 and 20,000 cars not counting evenings.  Also those numbers would be for Victoria not just downtown.

Edited by Ismo07, 31 May 2021 - 01:17 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1617 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 01:44 PM

Some councillors have spoken about survival crimes in recent months.

Must we absolutely copy every single bad idea that the other leftist cities are coming up with?? Can we take a pass on this one? Just this one?
It’s absurd: no one is hungry (there is free food everywhere) and no one needs to be cold, sleep outside or even unshowered in this city. What is this « survival » supposed to be about?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1618 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,870 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 01:54 PM

on the shoplifting thing i also hear city council will decriminalize the theft of up to 23 beers from a liquor store. 

23 and under and there will be no case.   :banana:

• Mike K., Rob Randall, Ismo07 and 1 other like this

#1619 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:05 PM

Mike you were trying to talk about vehicle break-ins and how part of that's organized crime.  I do have some insight because over the last year or so I have felt that vehicle break-ins are way down, at least downtown.  I feel that many people are taking the advice of not having valuables in sight.  I have asked VicPD about common things stolen which appear to be loose change, insurance documents, wallets, purses etc.  Even gym clothes.  We also seem to be at the lowest break ins at this point of the year in about 10 years.  Till today there have been 384 reported break ins in 2021..  The last two years there were over 800 at this point in the year.  I know we don't enjoy positive stories but that sounds pretty good..  At least the reduction 2-3 break ins a day still suck for those people but if it's cut in half perhaps that's good.  I know you want to paint the worst picture for the City, almost seems to the point your skepticism is working overtime.  Not everything is perfect and likely never will be, but somethings aren't as bad as they might appear to be through that lens you are looking through.

How about you find a positive soon, you can follow it up with a cheeky remark if you'd like.  We'll call it an "insultement"... Everyone... give it a try :)

I'm not talking about cars, I'm talking about survival crime becoming an organized crime problem in other jurisdictions, and Victoria council discussing survival crime without taking into consideration the ramifications, just like they didn't plan on an organized crime ring operating beside the mayor's office from within tents they thought housed people who didn't have homes.

I used car break-ins as an example, but it's not the issue.

Know it all.

#1620 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:22 PM

Minimum wage is rising to $15.20 tomorrow from $14.60, a 4.11% increase.

The wage for liquor servers is rising to $15.20 from $13.95, and no longer has its own category.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users