COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#1641 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:17 AM

Montreal’s employers and government officials are preparing to roll out the red carpet, but it’s not celebrities they seek. They’re courting the 310,000 office workers whose patronage is vital to the survival of downtown restaurants and retail stores, and who’ve mostly been away for 15 months.

Even as the city reopens after months under curfew, Montrealers have grown fond of working remotely: 76% said in an April survey they want to continue to spend at least half their workweek at home. At the same time, employers are rethinking the raison d’etre of the office and considering new perks.

Ideas under consideration include art installations in office towers and food courts, outdoor work spaces, after-work events and concierge services, according to the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal. The group received C$8.5 million ($7 million) from the Quebec government to coordinate efforts in a campaign called “I love working downtown.”

“This really is a major charm offensive,” Chamber President Michel Leblanc said in an interview. “The goal is to get people to say ‘I want to go downtown, I’m going to work and discover all that’s going on, all that’s new.'”

https://leaderpost.c...s-back-downtown

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 June 2021 - 06:17 AM.

#1642 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:14 AM

This is a very tricky situation.

You've got central cores financially dependent on mass infusions of workers and visitors, with the most expensive real-estate to support, vs. workers who saved large sums of money not having to send their child to daycare, not having to spend time and money on commutes, and not having the excuses to eat out or to buy spontaneously spotted goods, and the recognition for many that working from home can be more productive.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1643 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:26 AM

^ As we have said before, there is no doubt that many workers would prefer to 'work' from home. I see it every day at the big box stores. We will see which side wins out.

#1644 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:30 AM

Les Leyne: Deserted downtown prompts debate about restarting economy

Then Liberal critic Todd Stone walked out the door and up Government Street. He came back with a different view.

“It’s just staggering, in early to mid-June, that if you’re lucky, you might walk past one other human being in an entire block of downtown Victoria.”

After an hour walking around downtown, he told the legislature he saw “business after business after business” closed or reducing their hours.

https://www.timescol...nomy-1.24328833

One restaurant’s sign said it was only open two days a week. So was a clothing store. A sports retailer was managing four days a week.

“The profile of our downtowns and communities across the province is very different today, from a small-business perspective, than it was one year ago,” said Stone.

Kahlon, a Richmond MLA who was born and raised in Victoria, agreed that downtown is quiet because of remote work and the lack of tourists.

i'm not entirely sure that we need to DO anything about the deterioration of the downtown.  if workers are not coming back it's not at all good.   but throwing money at it might not be the right thing.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 June 2021 - 05:32 AM.

#1645 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:39 AM

A lot of hyperbole there. Downtown is certainly suffering from fewer workers and fewer tourists. But the idea that you can walk around downtown during the day without seeing other people is utter BS.

• Ismo07, vortoozo and m3m like this

#1646 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:55 AM

Manhattan workers’ post-Labor Day plans will likely include a trip back to the office. 

Businesses expect 62 percent of their workers to return to in-person work in September, according to a new survey from the Partnership for New York City, a business booster group.

While that’s up 17 percentage points from a survey in March, the report still shows that 1 in 3 Manhattan workers won’t yet be returning to the office. And, for those 62 percent expected back, they will only be in for three days a week. 

https://commercialob...-office-survey/

Apple employees are pushing back against a new policy that would require them to return to the office three days a week starting in early September. Staff members say they want a flexible approach where those who want to work remote can do so, according to an internal letter obtained by The Verge.

“We would like to take the opportunity to communicate a growing concern among our colleagues,” the letter says. “That Apple’s remote/location-flexible work policy, and the communication around it, have already forced some of our colleagues to quit. Without the inclusivity that flexibility brings, many of us feel we have to choose between either a combination of our families, our well-being, and being empowered to do our best work, or being a part of Apple.”

The move comes just two days after Tim Cook sent out a note to Apple employees saying they would need return to the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays starting in the fall. Most employees can work remotely twice a week. They can also be remote for up to two weeks a year, pending manager approval.

https://www.theverge...letter-tim-cook

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 June 2021 - 08:59 AM.

#1647 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:08 AM

A lot of hyperbole there. Downtown is certainly suffering from fewer workers and fewer tourists. But the idea that you can walk around downtown during the day without seeing other people is utter BS.

Yes, that's very true.

Government Street is a different animal, though. It can be completely void of life outside of the tourist season while Yates or Douglas are busy with pedestrians. This is partially why retailers have been largely reticent to have Government turned into a pedestrian thoroughfare 365 days of the year.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1648 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:49 AM

Yes, that's very true.

Government Street is a different animal, though. It can be completely void of life outside of the tourist season while Yates or Douglas are busy with pedestrians. This is partially why retailers have been largely reticent to have Government turned into a pedestrian thoroughfare 365 days of the year.

I think the point however is that without office workers many businesses downtown are marginal at best. We need to work to attract folks back, not having them focus on all of the reasons why working from home is a better option.

#1649 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:57 AM

I think the point however is that without office workers many businesses downtown are marginal at best. We need to work to attract folks back, not having them focus on all of the reasons why working from home is a better option.

i think that's the way the ship has already crumbled though.

even if things come back at 80% that's a big drop.

i even think about little stores that sell lotto downtown.  did the government workers go buy them at their local store or did they learn to buy online?

#1650 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:28 PM

Or people are fed up of buying online and will seek the human contact...
🤞

#1651 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:30 AM

The easing of lockdown restrictions in April helped the British economy grow at its fastest rate since July 2020 and recoup further ground lost during the coronavirus pandemic, official figures showed Friday.

The Office for National Statistics said the economy grew by 2.3% during April, which saw the reopening of shops selling non-essential items and a number of other service providers, such as hairdressers, resuming work. Schools were fully open for in-class learning, while pubs and restaurants were able to serve customers outdoors for the whole month.

The four nations of the U.K. — England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland — have been lifting lockdown restrictions in stages after new coronavirus infections fell sharply and vaccines were rolled out rapidly.

Despite the growth recorded in April, the British economy remained 3.7% smaller than it was in February 2020, before the U.K.'s first virus lockdown. Of the major sectors in the economy, only construction was above the level it was at on the eve of the pandemic.

https://abcnews.go.c...-eased-78216575

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 June 2021 - 03:30 AM.

#1652 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:31 AM

Or people are fed up of buying online and will seek the human contact...

that's somewhat true.  but don't forget that necessity is the mother of evil.

many people have now learned more online shopping skills.

#1653 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:12 AM

It will be interesting to see where things end up at the finish of Covid measures. 

#1654 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:29 AM

i think that's the way the ship has already crumbled though.

even if things come back at 80% that's a big drop.

i even think about little stores that sell lotto downtown.  did the government workers go buy them at their local store or did they learn to buy online?

The last 7 days compared to the same 7 days in June, 2019 we are at 86% of on-street transactions..  As a barometer only... Workers downtown is still a thing and there are efforts being made for that, but at least short term parkers are returning....

Edited by Ismo07, 11 June 2021 - 10:33 AM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1655 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:35 AM

Don't forget that since 2019 we have lost an additional 300 public parking stalls in the downtown core, putting more pressure on street-side stalls.

Know it all.

#1656 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:46 AM

Don't forget that since 2019 we have lost an additional 300 public parking stalls in the downtown core, putting more pressure on street-side stalls.

Well I'm not sure those numbers are accurate.  The City has also adding many paid areas which are included.  There are about 50 being used for patios and another 100 or so daily for construction or maintenance at any given time.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1657 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:52 AM

Oh but I’m sure. And my numbers do not include the 50 being used for patios or the 100 being used by construction crews.

Know it all.

#1658 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:53 AM

Oh but I’m sure. And my numbers do not include the 50 being used for patios or the 100 being used by construction crews.

I suspect it is more than 50 for patios as well. Each patio is 2-3 spaces minimum?

#1659 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:04 PM

Something like that, yes. It’s also tough for anything larger than a smart car to park at either end of them.

Know it all.

#1660 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:11 PM

I suspect it is more than 50 for patios as well. Each patio is 2-3 spaces minimum?

We are talking about spaces lost is 50 not 50 patios, otherwise I would have identified it as such.

Your numbers are incorrect kind sir.  Oh you are talking about parking lots again, but have no addition of the people who live downtown who potentially do not require parking anymore when they come downtown.  Got it...  Most parking lots pre-pandemic were used primarily for long-term parking.  Most spaces taken by 9am for the day.

Edited by Ismo07, 11 June 2021 - 01:15 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users