Photo

COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#1621 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:22 PM

Like the young women I saw rooting through a dumpster for things to sell. She said it's either that, or steal or sell her body. The cash to feed an addiction has to come from somewhere.

#1622 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:53 PM

I'm not talking about cars, I'm talking about survival crime becoming an organized crime problem in other jurisdictions, and Victoria council discussing survival crime without taking into consideration the ramifications, just like they didn't plan on an organized crime ring operating beside the mayor's office from within tents they thought housed people who didn't have homes.

I used car break-ins as an example, but it's not the issue.

You started on stereos going missing out of cars and citing organized crime using poverty as a scapegoat.  You are saying many things I'm only responding to a few of them.  Yes there are other things going on but I'm trying to focus.  I'm just not agreeing how organized the crimes are like car break-ins and shoplifting.. The drug issue is completely different.  All over the map here.

Edited by Ismo07, 31 May 2021 - 02:54 PM.

#1623 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:55 PM

I know I started with stereos.  :rtfm:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1624 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:59 PM

I think the point is that if you don't pursue "survival" crimes, you create an opportunity for people who commit crimes for simple profit to also take advantage of those loopholes. Dress poorly, and steal for a living with no concern about being prosecuted, while destroying the livelihood of people running businesses in the community. It's a recipe for a very bad outcome. CoV councilors should try showing empathy for cohorts other than just the addicted.

• LJ, sukika, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#1625 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 03:23 PM

My point exactly. Thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1626 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 04:21 PM

I think the point is that if you don't pursue "survival" crimes, you create an opportunity for people who commit crimes for simple profit to also take advantage of those loopholes. Dress poorly, and steal for a living with no concern about being prosecuted, while destroying the livelihood of people running businesses in the community. It's a recipe for a very bad outcome. CoV councilors should try showing empathy for cohorts other than just the addicted.

Exactly...
And can someone please explain to me why people need to do crime to survive when we have an annual $4 billion/63,000 jobs charitable industry in greater Victoria alone?

« A sector that is often overlooked when discussing economic performance but deserves to be mentioned due to its impact is the charitable sector. According to a recent report published in partnership by the Victoria Foundation and University of Victoria, the civil society contributes economic activity of just over $4 billion to the Greater Victoria region which supports the equivalent of 63,000 jobs.« 

https://downtownvict...-2019_Final.pdf
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1627 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 05:45 PM

It’s closer to $5 billion now, btw, if not higher.

Know it all.

#1628 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 05:50 PM

It’s closer to $5 billion now, btw, if not higher.

And perhaps the only sector where the worse you do the more money you get.
  • NinVic, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#1629 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:55 AM

But my question is when did we really pursue these crimes in the first place?  There has always been shoplifting, vehicle break-ins and such.  Small stuff, rarely pursued...

#1630 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:18 AM

I'm sure they weren't high priorities. But I'm also sure city officials didn't publicly express a stated policy of utter indifference. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1631 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:36 AM

So after the announcement for relief of restrictions we saw just over an 8% increase in parking transactions on street from the previous week. (Tuesday trough the following Monday - 7 days).  13% increase in the only 2 parkades that we have the data for at this time.  (Johnson and Centennial).

• Brayvehart likes this

#1632 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:10 AM

So after the announcement for relief of restrictions we saw just over an 8% increase in parking transactions on street from the previous week. (Tuesday trough the following Monday - 7 days). 13% increase in the only 2 parkades that we have the data for at this time. (Johnson and Centennial).

That’s good news! I’d love to see downtown regain its vibrancy and safe/peaceful vibe (right now it’s « vibrant » in a completely different way).

#1633 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:35 AM

So the net impact of Trudeau's covid spending was record corporate profits and the bulk of the money going to the rich! https://www.bnnbloom...dians-1.1611069

Who could have predicted that ... other than me?!

• Mike K. likes this

#1634 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:17 PM

It’s still early to say how the post-pandemic work environment will look. Only about 28% of U.S. office workers are back at their buildings, according to an index of 10 metro areas compiled by security company Kastle Systems. Many employers are still being lenient with policies as the virus lingers, vaccinations continue to roll out and childcare situations remain erratic.

But as office returns accelerate, some employees may want different options. A May survey of 1,000 U.S. adults showed that 39% would consider quitting if their employers weren’t flexible about remote work. The generational difference is clear: Among millennials and Gen Z, that figure was 49%, according to the poll by Morning Consult on behalf of Bloomberg News.

https://www.bloomber...ialflow-organic

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 June 2021 - 12:17 PM.

#1635 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:00 AM

More wage subsidies coming. Must be an election on the horizon.

Government of Canada Announces Details of the New Canada Recovery Hiring Program and Extension of Business Support Programs - Canada.ca

• Matt R. likes this

#1636 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:05 PM

"UFO sightings in Canada down below pre-pandemic levels": https://www.ctvnews....evels-1.5446116

"This year has seen a drop in UFO sightings after a sharp rise in 2020, but a Canadian ufologist said it’s not unusual to see these numbers wax and wane..."

#1637 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:21 PM

^ During the pandemic people had a lot more free time on their hands to do things like experiment with drugs :-)

• todd likes this

#1638 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:49 PM

^ During the pandemic people had a lot more free time on their hands to do things like experiment with drugs :-)

Also drones. drones and drugs

#1639 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:48 PM

"UFO sightings in Canada down below pre-pandemic levels": https://www.ctvnews....evels-1.5446116

"This year has seen a drop in UFO sightings after a sharp rise in 2020, but a Canadian ufologist said it’s not unusual to see these numbers wax and wane..."

and we didn't even send our yearly UFO up into the air in 2020

• Mike K. likes this

#1640 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:36 AM

More than $9M in COVID-19 disability payments sent to dead people

https://www.ctvnews....eople-1.5453478

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users