Pubs - what's open/closed during pandemic w/updates

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:18 PM

Bart’s at the Hilton is not reopening any time soon, the operators say.

That's too bad, I rather like that place.

• Mike K. likes this

#62 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,949 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:46 AM

Throughout the myriad economic discombobulations of this wretched pandemic, The Capital has been trying hard to keep tabs on how you can keep supporting our struggling local businesses. We put together a list of every eatery that was offering takeout and delivery and then assembled a catalogue of every store that was offering COVID-friendly shopping. Now, dining-in has returned to the Capital Region.

Below, we assembled the most comprehensive list we could of every place you can now eat in Victoria that isn’t your kitchen table. 

Did we miss anything? Email contact@capnews.ca and please include a link. 

https://www.capnews....id19-restaurant

it's of course not a super big list.  presumably hundreds of places are missing off there.  but at least someone made the effort.

the dvba has a longer list:  https://downtownvict...n-for-business/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 June 2020 - 06:55 AM.

#63 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:52 AM

I went to Earls on Thursday night (my first time out) they had QR codes on every table that you could scan and pay your bill! It was amazing, select which seat number you were and pay via Apple pay or Google Pay. I hope more restaurants do this!
  • Matt R. and todd like this

#64 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:38 PM

Restaurant restrictions easing

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ne-11-1.5608550

Henry also announced Thursday that she is lifting restrictions on restaurants that required them to operate at 50 per cent of their regular capacity. 

A modified public health order requires restaurants to determine how many people they can serve while still maintaining a two-metre distance between groups. Operators are required to monitor their premises to make sure that capacity isn't exceeded and those distances are maintained, including in line-ups.

The order says there can be no more than six people in any party, and if a two-metre distance can't be maintained between tables, a Plexiglas partition should be installed.

Buffets and self-serve stations are allowed to operate as long as there is a handwashing facility or hand sanitizer within easy reach and signs reminding customers to clean their hands before touching anything.

#65 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

I went to Earls on Thursday night (my first time out) they had QR codes on every table that you could scan and pay your bill! It was amazing, select which seat number you were and pay via Apple pay or Google Pay. I hope more restaurants do this!

If they brought back the old “model” train could eliminate contact.

Edited by todd, 11 June 2020 - 04:53 PM.

#66 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:00 PM

Restaurant restrictions easing

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ne-11-1.5608550

Henry also announced Thursday that she is lifting restrictions on restaurants that required them to operate at 50 per cent of their regular capacity. 

A modified public health order requires restaurants to determine how many people they can serve while still maintaining a two-metre distance between groups. Operators are required to monitor their premises to make sure that capacity isn't exceeded and those distances are maintained, including in line-ups.

The order says there can be no more than six people in any party, and if a two-metre distance can't be maintained between tables, a Plexiglas partition should be installed.

Buffets and self-serve stations are allowed to operate as long as there is a handwashing facility or hand sanitizer within easy reach and signs reminding customers to clean their hands before touching anything.

so now that we are back to normal can we re-open government street and cancel all the extra sidewalk seating etc.?

in a survey today 52% of independent restaurants across the country say they are worse of now that they have re-opened too.  6/10 are losing money.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 June 2020 - 05:03 PM.

• jsan likes this

#67 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:40 PM

Hmm. Went out for breakfast today. Had 7 people in the party. No questions asked. That restriction is really dumb if it includes kids in the same family.

• jsan and Danma like this

#68 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:13 AM

Mike Murphy, owner of 10 Acres Bistro and Commons, said he was delighted with the news, both as an operator and for the fact it sends a signal that B.C. is handling the pandemic well.

“[Henry] is obviously quite confident things are going the right way, because she’s [about] nothing if not the abundance of caution. This is definitely a step in the right direction.”

Murphy said he will start looking at where he might be able to add chairs and tables, but there isn’t a lot of demand for it yet.

“I don’t think it will make any difference other than on Friday and Saturday nights. There are just not that many people out yet.”

That’s the result of lingering public fear, he said. “It’s difficult to put the genie back in the bottle.”

https://www.timescol...city-1.24151046

#69 jsan

jsan
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 06:00 PM

Can only speak for myself, my spouse and about half a dozen close friends - we aren’t afraid, it’s just the experience of dining out (as well as shopping) is no longer enjoyable.

In the first few days of restaurants and bars reopening we were all excited to head out and support local businesses. We visited several places, at least one a day for a week. 

Instead, the experience was sad and awkward. It was uncomfortable to watch servers in masks tentatively place our food at the edge of the table. The young girls all fiddled with the masks and when prompted admitted that it was hard to breathe and uncomfortable to wear through the whole shift. It’s hard to relax and enjoy yourself when you know those serving are not in any way comfortable. We haven’t gone out again. 

We have also stopped shopping except for essentials once every few weeks, whereas we would go out and browse for the fun of it in the past. Lining up, standing apart, plastic shields and a sad dystopic feeling in the air. The covid reaction at least cured us of our spending habits. 

That’s the result of lingering public fear, he said. “It’s difficult to put the genie back in the bottle.”

Edited by jsan, 12 June 2020 - 06:02 PM.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#70 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,025 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 06:56 PM

People are indeed happy to be back out and enjoying restaurants again! Some of our takeout business has converted back to dine in, which is good, but the restaurant is pretty full these days. Patio weather hasn’t really hit yet, but with the new regs I think we can fit another four top out there.

I have been thanked personally dozens of times for being open again. People missed us and our staff.

The staff we have asked back have all come back one way or another, and we are ramping back up to normal hours for July I think.

Matt.
  • Mike K., Greg, todd and 2 others like this

#71 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

Masks for servers is not mandatory is it?

The place I go doesn't use them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#72 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:06 PM

Can only speak for myself, my spouse and about half a dozen close friends - we aren’t afraid, it’s just the experience of dining out (as well as shopping) is no longer enjoyable.

In the first few days of restaurants and bars reopening we were all excited to head out and support local businesses. We visited several places, at least one a day for a week. 

Instead, the experience was sad and awkward. It was uncomfortable to watch servers in masks tentatively place our food at the edge of the table. The young girls all fiddled with the masks and when prompted admitted that it was hard to breathe and uncomfortable to wear through the whole shift. It’s hard to relax and enjoy yourself when you know those serving are not in any way comfortable. We haven’t gone out again. 

We have also stopped shopping except for essentials once every few weeks, whereas we would go out and browse for the fun of it in the past. Lining up, standing apart, plastic shields and a sad dystopic feeling in the air. The covid reaction at least cured us of our spending habits. 

i agree with almost all you say here.  but on the other hand we get used to all this stuff.  i suspect that wearing pants, or shoes, or a tie or a chefs hat or a bra or glasses are all uncomfortable until we are used to it.  a cloth mask seems easy.

i used to think my work wear was uncomfortable.  now it's no big deal.

(i work in an art gallery)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 June 2020 - 07:11 PM.

#73 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,025 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:41 PM

Masks for servers is not mandatory is it?

The place I go doesn't use them.

It’s not.

Matt.
  • LJ likes this

#74 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:08 PM

I thought VV was your work.  :)

Edited by Redd42, 12 June 2020 - 08:08 PM.

• todd likes this

#75 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:48 PM

People are indeed happy to be back out and enjoying restaurants again! Some of our takeout business has converted back to dine in, which is good, but the restaurant is pretty full these days. Patio weather hasn’t really hit yet, but with the new regs I think we can fit another four top out there.
I have been thanked personally dozens of times for being open again. People missed us and our staff.
The staff we have asked back have all come back one way or another, and we are ramping back up to normal hours for July I think.
Matt.

Am I welcome on the island?

#76 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:56 PM

i agree with almost all you say here. but on the other hand we get used to all this stuff. i suspect that wearing pants, or shoes, or a tie or a chefs hat or a bra or glasses are all uncomfortable until we are used to it. a cloth mask seems easy.

i used to think my work wear was uncomfortable. now it's no big deal.

screenshot-www.google.com-2020.06.12-23_07_57.png

Summertime heating up now though soon you won’t need to loop it over your ears

Edited by todd, 12 June 2020 - 09:57 PM.

#77 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,025 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:09 PM

Am I welcome on the island?

I think we are ok with people from BC for the most part now. Lots of out of province and US plates around right now and let me tell you, Steve from the liquor store is none too happy about it.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

Americans are getting in by claiming they’re heading for Alaska. That’s a loophole many are using.

I saw a Florida and an Ontario plate yesterday. I’ve stopped even counting the volume of Alberta plates. Ah well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#79 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:50 AM

That porous Alberta border!

#80 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:17 PM

Americans are getting in by claiming they’re heading for Alaska. That’s a loophole many are using.

I saw a Florida and an Ontario plate yesterday. I’ve stopped even counting the volume of Alberta plates. Ah well.

Build that wall!

• todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users