42nd British Columbia Provincial Election and term | October 2020 - 2024

• Please log in to reply
2001 replies to this topic

#1721 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,660 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:30 AM

I'm completely at a loss as to how to vote in this by-election. I'm not a leftie, but I traditionally supported the NDP in my riding basically because of, and only because of John Horgan. I feel like a ship without a rudder now.

NDP. They have lost me with unelected Premier Eby's overreach on the housing file, trampling existing property owners rights under the guise of "affordable housing" through mandatory upzoning.
BC United. You can't rebrand a party and claim to be something new when your leader and a good portion of your party still retains the stench of the previous Campbell / Clark era.
BC Conservative. I hoped for better. I don't need a Provincial MLA rattling on about protecting my "freedom." From what? Leave that to the Feds.
BC Green. Single issue candidate. No chance of ever forming Gov't in my lifetime. One more weak voice in opposition changes nothing.

All are spouting the same boring rhetoric about solving the health care crisis, affordable housing, climate change, bla, bla, bla. Give me examples of what you will do and I may listen.

Yes, good recap.

Maybe we should give the communist kid a chance? The one with downtown Victoria as his photo background, for wooing residents of Sooke and Metchosin. I’m not sure what the strategy is there. Maybe the communists will invade the Victoria BH riding?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1722 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,899 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:40 AM

...Maybe we should give the communist kid a chance?

At least the Communist Party is honest about their intentions. The NDP are more communist than democrat, despite their name.

#1723 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,322 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:40 AM

I suspect Parmar wins easily.  It'll be a relatively low voter turnout as byelections always are, and the NDP will be the only party with a good ground game.

He's from the incumbent party, he has good name recognition.  And a good reputation.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 June 2023 - 08:44 AM.

#1724 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,899 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:41 AM

A sad, but likely true outcome.  :(

#1725 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,660 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:49 AM

Judging by signs alone, Ravi Parmar has a solid lead.

In order of sign prevalence it’s Parmar, then Currie, then a blend of Harris and Lawson. I haven’t seen anything from the communist party.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1726 LJ

LJ
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 07:33 PM

I voted a while ago, I had 5 people falling over themselves to serve me.

I may have been their only customer for the day.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1727 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,660 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 09:12 PM

When I voted, the lady at the machine took my folder with the card in it, pull out the card, revealed where I had voted (looking at the black mark from the marker on the underside of the page), then handed it back to me so I can insert it into the machine.

That’s not normal, is it? You could clearly see where on the page my mark was, and it’s not like there are 30 candidates.

Know it all.

#1728 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,123 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 10:27 PM

This is what I experienced at our recent LCC elections, only the ballot had no envelope whatsoever.

#1729 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,322 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 11:13 PM

When I voted, the lady at the machine took my folder with the card in it, pull out the card, revealed where I had voted (looking at the black mark from the marker on the underside of the page), then handed it back to me so I can insert it into the machine.

That’s not normal, is it? You could clearly see where on the page my mark was, and it’s not like there are 30 candidates.

No, that’s not normal. Somehow they were doing it wrong. Handling of your ballot.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 June 2023 - 11:14 PM.

#1730 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,660 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 06:56 AM

I didn’t think so. I didn’t want to make a stink, but she shouldn’t be handling my ballot at all, before it goes into the machine. I can work the thing myself.

Know it all.

#1731 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,322 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 07:01 AM

I didn’t think so. I didn’t want to make a stink, but she shouldn’t be handling my ballot at all, before it goes into the machine. I can work the thing myself.

That's probably accurate.  Poor training.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2023 - 07:04 AM.

#1732 LJ

LJ
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 07:59 PM

Mine was put in a cardboard folder with just the top couple of inches of the upside down ballot showing, That allowed the ballot to be swallowed by the machine without anyone else seeing it.

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1733 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,899 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 08:42 PM

Mine was put in a cardboard folder with just the top couple of inches of the upside down ballot showing, That allowed the ballot to be swallowed by the machine without anyone else seeing it.

IIRC that was how my ballot was handled at Victoria City Hall when I voted in the civic election back in October.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1734 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,322 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 02:47 AM

That's probably right.  I checked the Elections BC website.  It still has step-by-step guides for the old style voting with the old ballot your fold up, nothing detailing the method for the electronic voting.  It does announce the new electronic tabulator voting, but does not detail the appropriate method they or you use to keep your vote secret.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 June 2023 - 02:48 AM.

#1735 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,660 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 07:33 PM

Parmar with 54% of the vote, half of today’s and early ballot boxes reporting.

Harris of the Conservatives has 20% of the vote and is in 2nd place.

Greens in 3rd.

Few would have expected the Liberals/United to not crack the top 3.

Know it all.

#1736 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,322 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 08:04 PM

FzcJU4KaAAIGxHe.png

#1737 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,660 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 08:35 PM

I guess United is still new for voters. I’m sure that cost them some votes.

Final result without mailed ballots is 53.35% for Parmar.
  • Lorenzo likes this

Know it all.

#1738 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 24 June 2023 - 08:56 PM

I guess United is still new for voters. I’m sure that cost them some votes.

And what is Falcon going to do about it now?

"Well ya we have a new name, but we're still the BC Liberals."

#1739 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,899 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 09:29 PM

The NDP have the old name and the same terrible politics.

• Lorenzo likes this

#1740 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,322 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 04:02 AM

Langford-Juan de Fuca byelection results

Ravi Parmar BC NDP: 7,224 (53.35% of vote)

Mike Harris Conservative Party: 2,689 (19.86%)

Camille Currie BC Green Party: 2,386 (17.62%)

Elena Lawson BC United: 1,169: (8.63%)

Tyson Riel Strandlund Communist Party of BC: 74 (0.55%)

(All ballot boxes counted; 13,542 valid votes, 51,588 registered voters as of June 14.)

- - -

Vancouver-Mount Pleasant byelection results

Joan Phillip BC NDP: 5,404 (67.86% of vote)

Jackie Lee BC United: 1,097 (13.77%)

Wendy Hayko BC Green Party: 909 (11.41%)

Karin Litzcke Conservative Party: 389 (4.88%)

Kimball Cariou Communist Party of BC: 165 (2.07%)

(All ballot boxs counted; 7,964 valid votes; 45,265 registered voters as of June 14.)

https://www.timescol...ncouver-7192557

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 June 2023 - 04:03 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users