[Murder] Lindsay Buziak

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 02:31 PM

The FBI? Isn't that rather unusual? Maybe there is a US connection?

there is a (perhaps international) drug or organized crime connection likely right?  so i can see it.  

#22 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 06:00 PM

The FBI? Isn't that rather unusual? Maybe there is a US connection?

the kingpin of the calgary network that got busted before buziak's murder, and supposedly the one with the knife in his hand, lives (or lived) in san diego

#23 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 06:16 PM

Murder day is coming up tomorrow and they are not looking good at all in the public’s eye so I think Saanich police have to do something to try and save face,” Jeff Buziak told CHEK News.

“It’s really nice to see their nice PR video but what I really want to see are arrests and charges — that’s what really counts after 13 years of killers walking in the community,” he says.

buziak.png

More: https://www.cheknews...killing-740065/

#24 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 06:36 PM

there is a (perhaps international) drug or organized crime connection likely right?  so i can see it.  

I wonder if they arrested someone in the US who is saying they have knowledge of the murder.

#25 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:14 PM

I wonder if they arrested someone in the US who is saying they have knowledge of the murder.

The rumour is that the killers are originally from Mexico, lived in Calgary for a minute.... then moved to California

#26 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:19 PM

there is a (perhaps international) drug or organized crime connection likely right? so i can see it.

One of the delalcazer brothers (Notorious Victoria crime family) was arrested in Calgary’s largest drug bust. The “rumour” is that the informant came from the remax office that Lindsay work out of. Since Lindsay knew the delalcazars, it was pinned on her. I’ve also heard that it was a real estate deal that went wrong. But the drug angle seems to be the most plausible.

#27 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:53 PM

I am rather surprised at the surprise expressed by some posters - on FB mainly - that there is cooperation between Canadian and external police forces. Really....why would that be at all unusual? I would think it unusual if they did_not cooperate from time to time.

Not sure at all why people are taken aback by this or why it would be considered unusual or out of the ordinary. Been ongoing for decades; even when my own grandfather was in the RCMP security service in the 50's there was international inter-service contact usually for intel or jurisdictional matters. Also somtimes its a fact another police organization just might be better than the one its assisting in certain investigative or intelligence techniques. It puzzles me why folks find that unusual. What do they think the acronym INTERPOL stands for for example, or for that matter, what that organization actually does?

I usually refrain from commenting on issues like this or Michael Dunahee since I have zero knowledge of either case but pretty obviously either the FBI has certain information, believes it has certain information, voluntarily offered its assistance, or their aid was solicited by SPD possibly because they believe there is a connection or connections to the case falling under US jurisdiction. As the FBI has "just slightly" more resources than does SPD I'm sure their assistance would be welcomed.

I got quite the kick out of the dufus on FB yesterday on one of the local groups hitting the alarm bells and whatever panic buttons he could find after deducing that because the FBI now has some connection or involvement now in the case that Canada is under some imminent foreign threat from America. What, is he expecting the 7th Cavalry or the 3rd US Marine Corps to come storming off a BC Ferry at Swartz Bay? Talk about panic for nothing....

#28 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:24 PM

They are talking about genealogy so I suspect that they have some DNA evidence and they are referencing genetic data bases to find a familial match.

• North Shore, GaryRanson and Victoria Watcher like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:29 PM

You’d have to think that over 13-years plenty of genetic evidence has entered the criminal justice system.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,344 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:32 PM

You’d have to think that over 13-years plenty of genetic evidence has entered the criminal justice system.

you'd have to be convicted of a serious crime to have yours taken and entered.  i think the family match casts a wider net. 

• Matt R. likes this

#31 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, those genealogy sites, 23andme and others sell all your infomation to BGI which is collecting millions of datasets and analyzing them to produce medicines that will cure whatever you have, but you will have to buy them from them. Watch 60 Minutes from last night.    

• GaryRanson likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#32 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:40 PM

Sure, but not in this case I guess which is why they are going to public databases to find a connection. I hadn’t heard of this before, spooky.

It appears that the perps family member can expect a knock on the door sometime soon, asking about relatives...

Matt.
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#33 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:40 PM

FBI involvement in realtor's 13-year-old murder investigation nothing new: father

FEBRUARY 1, 2021

FBI investigators from the United States have joined a new task force investigating the 13-year-old homicide of Victoria real estate agent Lindsay Buziak, but the woman’s father calls news of the involvement a public relations stunt.

“It’s a good PR campaign by the Saanich police,” said father Jeff Buziak of Calgary. “We’ve heard something from them every year about what they’re going to do and how they’re going to do it, and nothing’s happened in 13 years.”

#34 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,344 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:42 PM

Sure, but not in this case I guess which is why they are going to public databases to find a connection. I hadn’t heard of this before, spooky.

It appears that the perps family member can expect a knock on the door sometime soon, asking about relatives...

Matt.

that's how they got this guy that killed the victoria kids.  in 1987.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...uilty-1.5194479

2019:

A Washington state man accused of killing a young Vancouver Island couple back in 1987 has been found guilty.

U.S. media outlets are reporting William Earl Talbott II has been convicted of two counts of first-degree murder. The jury had begun deliberating Tuesday afternoon, the Daily Herald reported.

Twenty-year-old Jay Cook and 18-year-old Tanya Van Cuylenborg had been travelling from Saanich, B.C., to Seattle, Wash., when they disappeared. Their bodies were later found in rural areas in Washington, but Talbott wasn't immediately arrested. It would take 30 years and new crime scene DNA testing through a genealogy site to find their killer.

and this famous killer in 2018:

https://en.wikipedia..._James_DeAngelo

Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. (born November 8, 1945) is an American serial killerserial rapistburglar, and former police officer who committed at least 13 murders, 50 rapes, and 120 burglaries across California between 1973 and 1986.

The website identified 10 to 20 people who had the same great-great-great grandparents as the Golden State Killer; a team of five investigators working with genealogist Barbara Rae-Venter used this list to construct a large family tree.  From this tree, they established two suspects; one was ruled out by a relative's DNA test, leaving DeAngelo the main suspect.

On April 18, a DNA sample was surreptitiously collected from the door handle of DeAngelo's car; another sample was later collected from a tissue found in DeAngelo's curbside garbage can.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 February 2021 - 08:49 PM.

#35 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 09:11 PM

Privacy concerns emerge over police use of genetic genealogical DNA testing

February 1, 2021

As the investigation into Lindsay Buziak’s murder gets a new jolt of energy, Saanich Police are talking about a new type of evidence called genetic genealogical DNA testing.

It (was) used to catch the Golden State Killer, and other cases in the U.S., but it’s raising concerns about privacy.

Video: https://www.cheknews...cal-dna-testing

• Matt R. likes this

#36 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 09:45 PM

Privacy concerns emerge over police use of genetic genealogical DNA testing

February 1, 2021

As the investigation into Lindsay Buziak’s murder gets a new jolt of energy, Saanich Police are talking about a new type of evidence called genetic genealogical DNA testing.

It (was) used to catch the Golden State Killer, and other cases in the U.S., but it’s raising concerns about privacy.

Video: https://www.cheknews...cal-dna-testing

This is interesting as I thought it was said that the only DNA found at the crime scene was lindsays

#37 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:14 AM

Saanich PD have not disclosed a lot of information related to this case (such as whether they have the murder weapon or not), so possession of DNA other than Lindsay’s might also be being held very close to the vest by SPD. 
The current trend of police departments tapping into family DNA search databases, and the fact that SPD mentioned it in their PR video could be construed as intended to rattle some cages. 

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#38 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:24 PM

Yes, but that doesn't mean the DNA has been entered into the national database, or if it has even been tested.  For example, there are literally tens of thousands of untested rape kits sitting in police storage in the US.  

#39 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:30 AM

Lindsay Buziak's father continues 'Walk for Justice' in honour of murdered daughter

Feb. 2, 2021

image.png

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,344 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:51 AM

on one hand you can't blame the guy.   but he's also put his own life and lifestyle into a lower economic and safety category to relentlessly pursue this in such a high-profile way.

in a way i might better understand that if he was tirelessly working to free a wrongly-imprisoned child or similar.  it goes without saying that if he meets his goal she is still not coming back.   not many would/do take on this issue in the way he has.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2021 - 07:53 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users