2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2831 replies to this topic

#561 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 07:19 AM

Yes it was!
When I was there it was very orderly and friendly. Lots of witty signs (example: “if I had wanted a prick I would have married one”)

Interestingly, it was the participants who were managing traffic and ensuring pedestrian safety at the crossing in front of the leg. I’ve never seen that before.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#562 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 02:37 PM

Also lots of bystanders on the streets waving and giving the thumbs up to the convoy.  It’s very obvious (maybe even eventually to Adam Stirling) that this was not just about trucker vaccine mandates.  It is a protest against government overreach. The crowds were clearly enjoying participating in a mass event not approved by the “authorities.”

Too early to pop the champaign, but it feels like we may have witnessed the end of peak woke yesterday and the beginning of a return to reality, common sense and freedom.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#563 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 06:55 PM

Do we have any idea where Trudeau is? He reportedly left Ottawa this weekend and is at an unnamed US location.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#564 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 06:56 PM

If he promises never to come back, do we care where he is?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#565 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 07:02 PM

Do we have any idea where Trudeau is? He reportedly left Ottawa this weekend and is at an unnamed US location.

Probably hiding out in Biden’s basement.  Hopefully old Joe won’t mistake the button for a red checker and get a Russian nuke in return.

#566 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 07:05 PM

Elon should offer him a ride to space.

#567 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 07:10 PM

Elon should offer him a ride to space.

One way.

#568 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 07:14 PM

He couldn't possibly do that. He said he had to isolate himself for 5 days, he certainly wouldn't have taken any flight, surely.

Coward of the Cottage.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#569 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 10:51 AM

You know, you may be opposed to some of Prime Minister Trudeau's politics or policies. But it doesn't take much effort to just be decent human being and be kind. This whole discussion site is becoming toxic.

• Brayvehart, m3m and FogPub like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#570 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 10:59 AM

When the prime minister called the truckers a “fringe minority” movement organized by individuals who hold “unacceptable views,” that became a turning point culturally for Canadians.

Ottawa also labelled the convoy as potential insurrectionists. That’s not a good move.

Now I personally do not agree with a lot of what the convoy represents, but it has turned into a release of emotion on a national scale and people are taking the opportunity to vent after what has been for many a difficult, tumultuous time. I mean yes, we are all in this together, but there are many Canadians who gave up everything due to the pandemic restrictions. They deserve an outlet to be heard, acknowledged and respected even if the other side doesn’t like what they’re hearing. That’s the democratic right of Canadians.
  • Nparker, dasmo, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#571 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 11:17 AM

e1bEUna.jpeg

#572 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 11:19 AM

What are the chances of a snap election this year?

Where do union workers (NDP?) stand on these issues?

Know it all.

#573 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 11:30 AM

...Where do union workers (NDP?) stand on these issues?

Please do not assume that all of us who are forced to be part of a union are automatically NDP supporters.

• Moderation likes this

#574 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 06:15 PM

I want to make it perfectly clear that most of Trudeau’s drama students did not end up playing frightened teens in low budget zombie movies.  Don’t believe everything you hear.

#575 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 06:37 PM

Please do not assume that all of us who are forced to be part of a union are automatically NDP supporters.

Well, I think after a decade+ of our conversations you know I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the unionized workers who vote for the NDP, which CUPE and other unions openly support as the party of choice for their members.

CUPE: Jagmeet Singh and the NDP are the only ones who have workers’ interests at heart, and the only ones with a plan to strengthen our system of care and ensure a just recovery from the pandemic. CUPE strongly encourages our members to vote for their local NDP candidate.

- https://cupe.ca/elec...versation-guide

Does anyone have any insight into what's going on between the Lib/NDP alliance?

Know it all.

#576 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 06:59 PM

Well, I think after a decade+ of our conversations you know I'm not talking about you....

It's just inaccurate to label all union members as NDP supporters.

Edited by Nparker, 31 January 2022 - 06:59 PM.

#577 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:34 PM

I didn't. I included a question mark, leaving other options.

Know it all.

#578 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:01 PM

It is likely Pierre Poilievre will become the new leader of the Conservatives. I suspect he’ll be a fairly popular leader.

Know it all.

#579 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:50 PM

I"m not convinced they'll turf O'Toole yet. Find out tomorrow. Poilievre would be my pick, but his reasoning for not running last time still exists... he still has a very young family. 

• Mike K. likes this

#580 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:09 PM

It would be so nice to have a leader who understands monetary policy and how to balance a budget!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users