Photo

[Sidney] Amazon fulfilment and distribution centre

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#121 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 10:10 AM

With gas up over two bucks a gallon, driving around shopping may not be the most thrifty procedure for purchasing whatever it is you're looking for.

As well, lots of store shelves are still very often "out of stock" in this post COVID world.

As well, there are always folks who don't view live shopping trips as anything but a grinding chore, far removed from something to be engaged in for pleasure.

But the short answer to your question is simply "anything at all".

Went to the grocery store yesterday. Dropped around $100, almost all of that fresh food - meat, fruit and veg, dairy. The only item I bought you could get on Amazon was tea. I looked that tea up on Amazon last night. Either the same price or much more than I paid at the store. 

#122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 11:18 AM

Amazon’s schtick is indeed to get people so caught up in the notion that everything’s cheaper there, that they don’t realize when they’re paying more. Costco is good at that, too. There are better deals out there than Costco but you still pay the membership fee and just assume the prices are the most competitive.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#123 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 November 2022 - 01:29 PM

Too bad the same can't be said about the movies made for Prime video  :blink:

They suck in the movie department. However, they more than make up for it in the original streaming show department. Mrs.Maisel, Rings of Power, Upload, Jack Ryan, Carnival Row, The Boys, Hanna. Currently I'm enjoying The Peripheral.
That doesn't include the great shows they have that are not originals, like The Expanse.

Edited by lanforod, 23 November 2022 - 01:29 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#124 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 November 2022 - 01:33 PM

Went to the grocery store yesterday. Dropped around $100, almost all of that fresh food - meat, fruit and veg, dairy. The only item I bought you could get on Amazon was tea. I looked that tea up on Amazon last night. Either the same price or much more than I paid at the store. 

Food is generally not an Amazon forte. Some staples, but not generally, and you may have to hunt for it.

#125 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 01:42 PM

Amazon’s schtick is indeed to get people so caught up in the notion that everything’s cheaper there, that they don’t realize when they’re paying more. Costco is good at that, too. There are better deals out there than Costco but you still pay the membership fee and just assume the prices are the most competitive.

Agree. But everyone tries.

I buy deodorant 6 to 12 months at a time on Amazon. Why not?

#126 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 November 2022 - 01:46 PM

Agree. But everyone tries.

I buy deodorant 6 to 12 months at a time on Amazon. Why not?

Think about all the money you would save if you didn't use deodorant at all.

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 01:48 PM

Way more soap though, and fewer business deals and/work promotions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#128 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Think about all the money you would save if you didn't use deodorant at all.

Might cost him more than he saves as people turn down business meetings in an attempt at stench avoidance.

#129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Oh great. Now ismo will think I’m lanforod.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#130 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 04:10 PM

What is everyone buying that you make such frequent purchases from Amazon? I think I've bought from them maybe half a dozen times ever. 

Lightbulbs, we buy loads of charging cables and things like that to resell, bedding, waterless urinal cartridges, painters tape, floor mats, random little electronics that can't be found here, usually get my Vega One on amazon, underwear which you can't get here either.. the list goes on.  I will say that there has been a lot of price creep with Amazon, and many of the products I was buying regularly are now the same price or less expensive locally.

Canada Post has spent the last month or so upgrading all the super boxes with parcel compartments the demand is so high.  The post office attached to my restaurant is routinely piled floor to ceiling with the telltale Amazon Smile boxes.

Edited by Matt R., 23 November 2022 - 04:16 PM.

#131 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:33 PM

Walmart the same. And the Warehouse Club thing in Esquimalt. You have to know your prices and it depends on what you are buying. I usually walk out empty handed whenever I've gone to the Warehouse Club. They either didn't have what I was looking for or their price wasn't any better than other stores. 

If you are aware of the prices of your staples, you can almost always get them on sale at better prices at any regular grocery store. So stock up then.

#132 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:43 PM

We sometimes get two to three Amazon deliveries a day, pretty much everything but food we buy through Amazon or other online retailers.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#133 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 03:02 PM

Where Costco generally excels is the high quality of what it sells and its very flexible return policy. Worth a small premium to a lot of people for that value.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#134 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 04:11 PM

Amazon's return policy is really good.  Typically you just print out the return label and back it goes, either in the mail box or post office.  I recently ordered a toilet tank lid, wrong size!  Back into the box it went, full refund as soon as it was scanned into the system at the post office.

• Nparker likes this

#135 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 04:17 PM

I forget what it was that I bought but it came wrong. They said keep it.

• Matt R. likes this

#136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 04:24 PM

I forget what it was that I bought but it came wrong. They said keep it.

And you were refunded the purchase price?

• Matt R. likes this

#137 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 04:25 PM

That's happened to me a few times as well, there are items that aren't worth the return freight.  It's all built into the price anyways, nothing's free.

#138 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:01 PM

And you were refunded the purchase price?

Yes.

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 08:30 PM

Don’t they just trash the returned items?

Know it all.

#140 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 08:46 PM

Not all returns or sales are ever handled by Amazon even.  Why would they trash returns of unused, unopened products? 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users