Photo

215 graves at Kamloops residential school | Discussion, news, and what we know so far

• Please log in to reply
1000 replies to this topic

#721 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:48 PM

The B.C. government says it will provide immediate funding to First Nation communities to help with searches for human remains at 21 former residential schools or hospitals, including six sites on Vancouver Island and smaller islands nearby.

Communities can receive up to $475,000 for each site as they carry out searches, planning, technical work and archival research, while also engaging with elders, survivors and other First Nations that have an interest in an area, said Murray Rankin, minister of Indigenous relations and reconciliation.

Sounds like a bit of inflation. The Kamloops FN did their search for $40K. Sounds like searches now costs $475K.

#722 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,333 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 05:05 PM

^ "engagement with elders, survivors and other First Nations" does not happen without generous honorariums.

#723 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:46 AM

unmarked grave:

Human bones were discovered during a beach cleanup Tuesday in Kyuquot, a First Nations community on northwestern Vancouver Island.

Employees from the nation were conducting a scheduled clean-up on a remote beach when they found bones that were partially exposed near the beach, said Sgt. Curtis Davis of the Port McNeill RCMP.

The RCMP is assisting an archaeological branch of the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, because there’s a possibility the remains are “very, very old,” Davis said.

Identification experts have determined the discovery is “archaeological in nature,” so no formal investigation will take place, the Coroners Service said.

https://www.timescol...ient-1.24344850

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 July 2021 - 05:46 AM.

#724 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:52 PM

A new report details the "fraught" and "violent" history of Wood Buffalo National Park, which includes the removal of hundreds of members of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation. Now, the First Nation is asking for a formal apology and reparations.

The park, the largest national park in Canada located in northeastern Alberta and the southern Northwest Territories, was created in 1922 and expanded in 1926. In 1944, there was a "band transfer event," the report said, which led to the separation of Dene families.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ation-1.6111787

The First Nation is seeking an apology, compensation and land.

of course they are. it’s only 77 years later but hey the money tap is on!

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 July 2021 - 02:53 PM.

#725 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:50 PM

more money locally:

Oak Bay’s newly renovated chambers will feature a new piece of public art commissioned from an Indigenous artist.

The district allocated one per cent of the budget for the hall renovation, $7,000 to public art. Combined with the annual public art allocation, the district has $27,000 to spend on a work for municipal hall.

The move to work with a local artist, specifically from the Lekwungen speaking people on whose land Oak Bay sits, was unanimous among council members.

https://www.vicnews....-muncipal-hall/

why would First Nations want to sell stuff to the colonizers?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 July 2021 - 01:51 PM.

#726 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:34 AM

A Roman Catholic Church document claiming the church provided $25 million of "in-kind services" to residential school survivors is sitting inside a Regina courthouse, but officials are refusing to release it.

Survivors, First Nations leaders and legal scholars across Canada interviewed by CBC News all agree that it's a public document and must be released immediately.

"We need to see it," Sturgeon Lake First Nation elder and residential school survivor A.J. Felix said. "The church was able to stickhandle their way through all this legal wrangling. They got away with it. But no more."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ument-1.6114196

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 July 2021 - 06:35 AM.

#727 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:28 AM

My understanding is the RCC has given $25m cash, $25m in kind (the above reference), and also did a collection for what was supposed to be another $25m (it didn't come close to that, for various reasons, including being the week after a lot of folks gave for the Fort Mac fires).

Now, assuming this is correct, at what point is there enough reparations?

#728 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:09 AM

The first known of the schools were established in the 1820s. The last one to close was Kivalliq Hall in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, in 1997. In all, roughly 150,000 First Nations, Inuit and Métis children attended.

The court-approved compensation scheme arose out of a comprehensive class-action settlement in 2007 involving survivors, the federal government and churches that ran the schools. The Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement included a Common Experience Payment for all students who attended the schools, a five-year endowment for the Aboriginal Healing Foundation, and the Independent Assessment Process (IAP) to adjudicate claims from students who had suffered abuse at the schools.

Under the IAP, claimants were entitled to up to $275,000 each, based on the nature and level of abuse suffered.

In all 38,276 claims were received, with Saskatchewan having the most claimants. Adjudicators awarded $2.14 billion in compensation to 23,431 claimants while another 4,415 claimants received compensation directly from the federal government.

Overall, the government paid out $3.23 billion in compensation and other costs. The process itself cost another $411 million.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...hools-1.5946103

that's a pretty clear summary of the big payout.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 July 2021 - 07:09 AM.

#729 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 10:51 AM

Since the totem was burned, the City of Duncan has been working with the Modeste family, Cowichan Tribes and Cowichan elders to follow the protocols for removing the totem and beginning refurbishment. The Ministry of Transportation and Highways provided the funding for the July 31 ceremony and refurbishment of the pole.

https://www.vicnews....g-july-2-arson/

of course we are.

#730 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:50 PM

^it is not cheap to remove an upright log. Bet it cost at least $2 million.

#731 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 01:12 PM

i'm sure there were lots of honorariums to pay to attendees to the ceremony.

#732 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:38 AM

https://www.saultsta...school-survivor

‘Where has it all gone?’: Missing TRC testimonies done in original languages baffles residential school survivor

Many families remain in despair

Michael Cachagee is a residential school survivor who has shared his life experiences, those of a young boy who suffered so much pathetic perversion in the Indian residential school he was forced to attend.

He remembers the days at St. John’s Indian Residential School, in Chapleau,very vividly. He suffered isolation, hunger, emotional, physical and sexual abuse. In fact, later he had become dependent on drugs and alcohol by the age of 16 in order to drown out the pain he had to endure.

He said that in many cases his addictions got much worse and he became an angry and abusive drunk. This continued until he was 42 and, by then, he knew that his addictions could not be controlled in order to ease the pain.

https://nunatsiaq.co...-school-abuses/

Nunavut MP to lead Ottawa march calling for investigation into residential school abuses

By Nunatsiaq News

Nunavut MP Mumilaaq Qaqqaq is leading a march in Ottawa on Saturday to demand an investigation into Canada’s residential school system.

Earlier this month, Qaqqaq and the NDP held a news conference to ask the federal government to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate potential crimes committed against Indigenous Peoples at residential schools.

Specifically, she called on federal Justice Minister David Lametti to approach the International Criminal Court to launch an investigation into a system she said “represents a crime against humanity.”

https://www.aptnnews...e-in-september/

Proposed settlement for day scholars of residential schools to go before judge in September A federal court hearing will be a hybrid of virtual and in-person attendance

Residential school day scholars, left out of other class-action lawsuits, are another step closer to reaching their own settlement with Canada.

A federal court judge will hear arguments Sept. 7 in Vancouver to approve the proposed settlement agreement after Crown Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett signed off on the deal in June.

This is the third lawsuit Canada is settling to compensate thousands of former Indigenous students forced to attend its notorious system of Indian residential schools that operated nationally for more than a century.

https://www.peacearc...tims-survivors/

B.C. to mark Sept. 30 as day of commemoration for residential school victims, survivors Sept. 30 has been made a federal holiday

Sept. 30 will be marked as a day of commemoration for the Indigenous children forced into residential schools, the B.C. government announced on Tuesday (Aug. 3).

In a news release, the province said that while usually Sept. 30 is marked with Orange Shirt Day each year, the events of the past two months have led the province to expand the day.

https://www.portageo...ools-in-portage

VIDEO: Dakota First Nation and the beginning of Indian residential schools in Portage

Dakota Tipi First Nation chief Eric Pashe addressed the recent issue of unmarked graves at residential school sites, and revealed, based on their understanding, that the entire residential school system started far earlier in Portage la Prairie with Dakota children and predated government involvement. He notes that they believe there could have been four different schools that eventually evolved into the residential school system of which we're now much more familiar.

Edited by FawltyVic, 04 August 2021 - 04:40 AM.

#733 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:23 AM

^ New stat holiday will go over well in advance of an election. The millions who are collecting money to sit at home and not work get paid either way though.

From what I know though, every other holiday we have is in celebration of something.

Edited by spanky123, 04 August 2021 - 06:25 AM.

#734 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:25 AM

Watters, who calls herself an “unapologetic lefty” and “grateful uninvited guest” in Lekwungen territory on Twitter, said she is honouring the wishes of what she called the Four Houses — the Songhees Nation, Esquimalt Nation, Métis and urban Indigenous community — who have asked her to resign.

In May, it postponed budget deliberations “in respect and solidarity for the overwhelming grief being experienced by the Indigenous community,” after unmarked graves were discovered at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School.

The article is confusing.  Why did the Indigenous Community ask her to resign?  Did postponing budget deliberations have anything to do with it?

#735 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:38 AM

The article is confusing.  Why did the Indigenous Community ask her to resign?  Did postponing budget deliberations have anything to do with it?

no.  it was about questioning indigenous outcomes compared to music classes or something.

Two weeks ago, the district came under fire when a survey it released to get public feedback on its proposed budget and a then $7 million deficit included a question asking participants to rank the importance of Indigenous learners’ success against that of non-Indigenous students. The district removed the question, later calling it inappropriate and assuring the community the data from that question wouldn’t be used.

But on Monday, some parents and teachers were left feeling like the district still didn’t understand after a slide presented at the school board meeting suggested Indigenous learners’ success couldn’t be found in music programs. Under the bullet of reconciliation the slide asked “Will core bands, strings or choir improve the Indigenous completion rates?” and “Do Indigenous students participate in band?”

https://www.vicnews....n-budget-talks/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 August 2021 - 09:39 AM.

#736 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:05 AM

^ My understanding was that she tried to justify school music cuts as a way of improving FN outcomes by being able to re-allocate funds to programs that better served their needs. Probably thought she was doing FN children a benefit but she fell out of favour when the public attitude didn’t support losing the programs.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#737 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:20 AM

^ My understanding was that she tried to justify school music cuts as a way of improving FN outcomes by being able to re-allocate funds to programs that better served their needs. Probably thought she was doing FN children a benefit but she fell out of favour when the public attitude didn’t support losing the programs.

and then of course it questioned indigenous students' success or participation in various streams or programs and that's racist to even ask or measure.

which really emphasizes why we should not have a two-track system.  any more so than we should have a separate system for immigrant children.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 August 2021 - 10:21 AM.

#738 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:54 AM

Twitter announcement:

I want to let you all know that I have resigned from my role as Board Chair. This is not a step I thought I would be taking, but I recognize the importance of aligning my values with my actions.

This past year has been very challenging on many levels. In particular, our Board has had to face some hard truths when it comes to our commitment to reconciliation & our relationships with the Four Houses: Songhees Nation, Esquimalt Nation, Métis & urban Indigenous Community.

Recognizing the important work before us, I am honouring the wishes of the Four Houses who have asked me to resign. I hope my resignation, demonstrates my commitment to reconciliation & to healing the relationships between the district & the Indigenous communities we serve.

I will continue on with my work as a school trustee advocating for the best interests of our students and learning community and I remain in service to Lək̓ʷəŋən, Métis, First Nations and urban Indigenous children in the Greater Victoria School District.

A new Board Chair and Vice Chair will be elected at a public zoom meeting next Monday. If you have any questions or want to discuss any of this, please reach out. I would love to talk with you.

https://twitter.com/...7912585220?s=21

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#739 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 02:27 PM

^The sad thing is she probably thinks that apologizing and grovelling will make the masses happy and bring her peace. In actual fact it just shows she is weak and should be bullied even more until she loses everything.

Edited by spanky123, 04 August 2021 - 02:28 PM.

#740 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:09 AM

The sad thing is she probably thinks that apologizing and grovelling will make the masses happy and bring her peace. In actual fact it just shows she is weak and should be bullied even more until she loses everything.

Harsh ... but true.

I generally find that folks serving on School Boards are pretty much full of themselves ... which is why so many of them branch almost immediately into city, regional, and provincial politics upon their departure from the School Board they're serving on.

They generally have a pretty high opinion of themselves, and a solid belief that they know far better than you or I what's best for everybody in any given situation.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users