Photo

Canada Day in Victoria, B.C.

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#21 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:02 PM

For some, the point of reconciliation is punishment. Just ask Lisa Helps.

There is a bunch of chatter on twitter that Helps has organized some sort of protest for the legislature and has banned the Canadian Anthem from all festivities.  Does anyone have more on this?

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:05 PM

Under what authority does she have to ban people from singing the national anthem?

• mbjj likes this

#23 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:15 PM

Something about it being disrespectful..... 

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:34 PM

To be fair, few people know more about being disrespectful than Lisa Helps.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:47 PM

The mayor did say she would prefer the City not plan activities on the Legislature lawn for Canada Day in case people want to use it for protest activity. I have not heard that she herself is planning said protest activity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:49 PM

The CoV cannot be rid of this terrible person as mayor a moment too soon.

• mbjj likes this

#27 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:07 PM

https://www.cheknews...a-twist-940631/

#28 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:38 PM

Remember the good old days when the Legislature lawn was reserved for lawn darts instead of protests?

#29 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 07:04 PM

"Helps noted that the mainstage celebration has been moved from the B.C. Legislature grounds to Ship Point because the city expects protesters to stage demonstrations at the legislature."

I have a better idea...have canada Day at the Leg and simply arrest anybody that gets in the way!!!

• Nparker, mbjj and On the Level like this

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 07:28 PM

No one should expect protestors at the legislature on Canada Day. Clearly, this is something Helps and her TV/ACAB/SJW cabal are already planning behind the scenes.

#31 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:14 PM

No one should expect protestors at the legislature on Canada Day. Clearly, this is something Helps and her TV/ACAB/SJW cabal are already planning behind the scenes.

Have their been protestors in previous years? Why would she expect protestors this year?

#32 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 05:45 AM

Have their been protestors in previous years? Why would she expect protestors this year?

That's because this year is going to be different. Perhaps she got the phone call from one of her "family" friends about a nontraditional event planned for the lawns of the ledge.

https://www.narcity....nned-for-july-1

#33 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 07:35 AM

That's because this year is going to be different. Perhaps she got the phone call from one of her "family" friends about a nontraditional event planned for the lawns of the ledge.

I would love to see protestors mixed in with a huge crowd on the leg lawn. They might learn something about the will of the majority!

• mbjj likes this

#34 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 07:40 AM

The mayor did say she would prefer the City not plan activities on the Legislature lawn for Canada Day in case people want to use it for protest activity. I have not heard that she herself is planning said protest activity.

She wants activities confined to Ship's point for a few reasons. Not only is the space much more confined, but you can't get a good view of the fireworks because it is a lot lower than street level and in recent years at least they have used fireworks that detonate much lower in the sky.

This is typical Helps, if she can't get rid of something she makes it as unappealing as possible to spite everyone.

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 07:49 AM

...This is typical Helps, if she can't get rid of something she makes it as unappealing as possible to spite everyone.

Governance through schadenfreude.

• Daveyboy and Victoria Watcher like this

#36 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 10:00 AM

but you can't get a good view of the fireworks because it is a lot lower than street level and in recent years at least they have used fireworks that detonate much lower in the sky.

I think that you need to consider the logic of this comment.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#37 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:33 PM

I think that you need to consider the logic of this comment.

Nothing wrong with the logic at all. When you are at water level with infrastructure and other people in front of you you can't see what is going on in the harbour.  That is why most people sit at elevation of the Empress of Leg lawns so that they can get a clear view of the harbour.

Edited by spanky123, 21 January 2022 - 02:33 PM.

#38 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 05:41 AM

i can't help but think of last year... the first nations had a nontraditional event in mourning for all the children that were lost, from those who went i heard it was a wonderful event lots of drumming and singing, speeches from elders and survivors very healing.. only for it to be ruined at the end of the night by protesters and the tearing down of the statue (which even with such clear photos no one has been charged) followed by the burning of a totem pole on the malahat...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#39 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:04 AM

Mayor Helps was on CFAX yesterday talking about her vision for Canada Day. She made a point of mentioning that Alto, Andrew and Dubrow were on the selection committee with her. 

I hope it is Stephen's intent to call out items that he thinks are contrary to the public interest. If he doesn't and the whole thing turns out to be a farce then he will be painted as one of the enablers.

Edited by spanky123, 22 January 2022 - 11:05 AM.

#40 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:54 PM

Even more reason for the average citizen to be on the Leg. lawn. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users