Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 09:40 AM

Wow.

#143 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 10:02 AM

It's like a who's who of virtue signaling.

• LJ and Redd42 like this

#144 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 01:26 PM

The concept that a playwright writes a part for a 55 year old, one-armed, white male in a wheelchair ... that such a part should or could be cast as a 30 year old black woman who weighs 230 pounds and shaves her head ... well ... there are many who consider such moronic concepts not remotely "woke" at all ... rather they're just the musings of idiots and virtue signallers, folks of no value to the theatre community, and limited value to humanity overall.

Can you imagine what would happen if a director decided to cast the actors in Roots as white folk?!

Good news is that you will get the board back after the next AGM. Activists are generally only interested in destroying organizations and have no interest or desire to actually invest the time and effort to build or create something. As you have seen, the excuse at first is that the organization was so badly broken that it needs time to heal and restructure, the next excuse is that forces are aligned against them and they can't get work done and then finally the excuses just stop as the activists slither away and go find something else to break.

#145 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 01:28 PM

Leftists always tear down, instead of create. It’s easier.

#146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 01:42 PM

But creatively, the ‘left’ is critical to executing what fiscally the ‘right’ can realize.

We really need both sides of the political and by extension creative spectrum. Neither can survive without the other. And we’ll see here, a shunning of perhaps the more conservative voices on a board will have detrimental effects on the theatre’s ability to sustain itself, as would a theatre with a board comprised of only bean counters and executive producers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#147 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 08 May 2022 - 05:01 PM

It's like a who's who of virtue signaling.

Yup.

If these bios were in a theatre program, I'd put it down out of sheer lack of interest.

It used to be you were an actor or actress or at most American actor or Canadian actress. Now it's pronouns followed by skin colour before actor is even mentioned.

Using Aboriginal territory instead of city names is a new one on me. I thought the vice president was Aboriginal until I read it again.

At least one bio (Jessie Deutscher) oozes bitterness with this line:

"...and has been based out of so-called Victoria for the past several years."

And on Monica Ogden's bio where it talks about racism in the Victoria theatre community, I did a 2 year stint during the 1990's in local theatre, TV and film and never saw any incidents of racism.The Victoria arts community was always (at least in my view) a warm and welcoming one.

Edited by FawltyVic, 08 May 2022 - 05:04 PM.

• Spuzzm likes this

#148 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 05:56 PM

...And on Monica Ogden's bio where it talks about racism in the Victoria theatre community, I did a 2 year stint during the 1990's in local theatre, TV and film and never saw any incidents of racism...

The Woke have redefined racism to suit their agenda.

#149 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 11:56 AM

Like this part of Monica's BIO.

Rage Sweater are leading conversations and consultations on anti-racism, anti-Blackness, and anti-oppression in Victoria theatre

So i understand that being anti-racism means that you are against racism and anti-oppression means that you are against oppression so does anti-blackness mean that you are against black people?!

#150 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 12:00 PM

Monica Ogden (she/they) is an award winning disabled Filipina, Polynesian, and British storyteller, actor, and internationally recognized anti-racist community builder. She holds a BA with distinction in Gender Studies from the University of Victoria, and has been a guest speaker on anti-racism panels such as Sche’chulth: Decolonizing the Arts in Victoria with Primary Colours, Emerald City ComicCon, and Where Do We Go From Here with the CPN where she was personally invited by previous Langham Court Theatre staff to speak to the racism in the Victoria theatre community.

Enough said.

#151 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 12:05 PM

Like this part of Monica's BIO.

Rage Sweater are leading conversations and consultations on anti-racism, anti-Blackness, and anti-oppression in Victoria theatre

So i understand that being anti-racism means that you are against racism and anti-oppression means that you are against oppression so does anti-blackness mean that you are against black people?!

Anti-blackness? So I guess being anti-specific is on the table now? Good to know.

As a ginger I experienced racialized harassment and exclusion from many things in my life.

Can someone send me a handbook on how to overthrow a theatre because of the anti-gingerness I've experienced? (eyeroll)

#152 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:12 PM

I read some of that bio stuff out loud to my husband. By the end I was almost rolling on the floor in tears. My bad.

• Nparker and phx like this

#153 Listener

Listener
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 04:32 PM

Interesting to hear a black voice, rather than virtuous white saviours.

https://www.nytimes....oke-racism.html

#154 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 11:27 AM

The buzz today is that Langham has just lost their interim GM, as well as at least one board member.

Perhaps these folks are facing up to the reality that the Board of a not-for-profit is legally culpable for financial transgressions (letting the company go broke in order to prove a point), or for willfully violating the existing Constitution and By-Laws governing the Society, or willfully violating the Provincial Societies Act (which requires accurate record keeping, and promoting an active and informed membership).

• lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#155 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 11:37 AM

#wokegoesbroke

• Spy Black likes this

#156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:53 AM

Make of this what you will  :whyme:

Langham.jpg

#157 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 11:15 AM

Bystander Intervention Training?  :whyme:

• LJ likes this

#158 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 11:24 AM

If you see something, say something.
  • Matt R. likes this

#159 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 11:33 AM

Langham Court Theatre now specializes in apologies rather than entertainment. No productions are currently scheduled.

• Barrrister likes this

#160 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:26 PM

I would like to see Tariro Mawari's credentials or curriculum vitae before I take the course.  I would hope they is a Uvic grad student......otherwise how would I know that they is presenting the truth?

• Nparker, LJ and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users