Photo

Langford and West Shore | 2022-2026 municipal term discussion

• Please log in to reply
678 replies to this topic

#421 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 09:45 AM

Seems simple enough to address without adding $30 million to the ledger, though, doesn't it?

The hot tubs that don't allow feet are all the rage now. They even cost extra to install, to keep the water level angled slightly.

No, so long as the YMCA is operating the facility they will stick to their pricing model. This was made clear during the COTW meeting.

There are a variety of reasons why families are no longer going to the YMCA as that is just one of them.

#422 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:01 AM

Their pricing model looks pretty fair, for a brand new, comprehensive modern complex.

It's $25 for a whole family to go to the facility, without a membership, and $91 per month for a family to use both the Westhills and downtown Ys, as much as they like.

The second newest pool is Esquimalt Rec, which charges $122/month for a family plan, plus all taxpayers paid for, and now fully subsidize, the facility.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#423 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:03 AM

If you have older kids, up to 24, the family plan in Langford costs $101.

That's still a savings compared to Esquimalt's $122.

What are we missing here? Are people comparing the rates at old pools, to rates at brand new pools, and think they'll pay what Crystal Pool charges if they buy the Y for $30 million?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#424 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:33 AM

If you have older kids, up to 24, the family plan in Langford costs $101.

That's still a savings compared to Esquimalt's $122.

What are we missing here? Are people comparing the rates at old pools, to rates at brand new pools, and think they'll pay what Crystal Pool charges if they buy the Y for $30 million?

You're missing the fact that municipal rec centers aren't set up around memberships. They are meant to benefit the wider community and offer affordable drop in rates.

#425 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:39 AM

You're missing the fact that municipal rec centers aren't set up around memberships. They are meant to benefit the wider community and offer affordable drop in rates.

You're missing the fact that I left out the 10% discount for Langford residents on purpose, and wanted to see if you'd point that out to us.

So it's even cheaper for a family to use the facility. $81.90/month. Or $22.50 for a family, for a single visit.

Compare that to Esquimalt, which charges $122. Langford residents pay almost 40% less.

• Barrrister likes this

Know it all.

#426 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:42 AM

Or they've just decided to let people have their say. This whole thing is getting ridiculous. I am actually starting to feel bad for Stirling. I tuned in after two weeks of not listening only to hear him rambling on about his whole motivation is to make sure that little kids in Langford have a nice warm bedroom to sleep in. A bit rich for sure. Turned it off again. Something is very odd about the players on both sides of this debacle.

Is this what “tearing a strip off” of someone is now? Boring.
  • Lorenzo likes this

#427 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:50 AM

You're missing the fact that I left out the 10% discount for Langford residents on purpose, and wanted to see if you'd point that out to us.

So it's even cheaper for a family to use the facility. $81.90/month. Or $22.50 for a family, for a single visit.

Compare that to Esquimalt, which charges $122. Langford residents pay almost 40% less.

Again, my tax dollars are already going towards this rec center. I shouldn't have to pay extra to get a membership on top of this. I only want to use the facility once or twice a month as Langford provides a variety of other recreational options. Instead I'm using it zero times and going to JDF instead.

#428 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:54 AM

Again, my tax dollars are already going towards this rec center. I shouldn't have to pay extra to get a membership on top of this.

What about the 60 or 70% of residents that never use rec centres and pools?

I haven't stepped foot in a municipal rec centre since the 90's.  I hate public swimming pools, mostly.  I like hotel pools.

#429 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:00 AM

What about the 60 or 70% of residents that never use rec centres and pools?

I haven't stepped foot in a municipal rec centre since the 90's. I hate public swimming pools, mostly. I like hotel pools.

Well the problem is that far less than 30% are using the YMCA.

#430 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:00 AM

It’s probably 80% or more.

Know it all.

#431 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:01 AM

Well the problem is that far less than 30% are using the YMCA.

That’s not abnormal. That’s fairly typical.

Very few people care for or use pools.

Know it all.

#432 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 March 2023 - 12:09 PM

Is there ANY rec center in our region that gives free access (ignoring tax costs) to the residents in its own municipality? Saanich doesn't.

Why should that be considered normal? I absolutely think the users should pay for usage, though its clearly subsidized pretty much everywhere, you're not paying what it would really cost. 

#433 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 09:45 AM

Again, my tax dollars are already going towards this rec center. I shouldn't have to pay extra to get a membership on top of this. I only want to use the facility once or twice a month as Langford provides a variety of other recreational options. Instead I'm using it zero times and going to JDF instead.

Buying the pool as a taxpayer for $30 million will still require you to pay to use it, and you’ll be paying far more in tax to keep the doors open.

Right now you have the best deal in BC, a monthly family membership priced $40 lower than the same service in Esquimalt at its new pool that taxpayers there paid to build and pay fully to maintain, -and- you have unlimited access to the downtown Y, too.

Know it all.

#434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 09:48 AM

Is there ANY rec center in our region that gives free access (ignoring tax costs) to the residents in its own municipality? Saanich doesn't.

Why should that be considered normal? I absolutely think the users should pay for usage, though its clearly subsidized pretty much everywhere, you're not paying what it would really cost.

No, absolutely not. Nothing is free.

Langford has the -best- deal in the CRD currently, the absolute, hands down best deal. An entire family gets to use the brand new YMCA facility in Langford and in downtown Victoria for just over $80/month. That’s a hot deal. And taxpayers didn’t have to pay to build it, and the current taxpayer subsidy is among the lowest in BC.
  • martini, AllseeingEye, Matt R. and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#435 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 09:55 AM

So what’s the problem?

#436 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 10:08 AM

What is the “C” in the name?
  • martini and Matt R. like this

#437 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 10:31 AM

There it is.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.

#438 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:36 AM

Stew Young is live on CFAX.

Know it all.

#439 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:48 AM

What is the “C” in the name?

Christadelphian?  Charismatic?  Carthusian?  Christocentric? ... Catholic?

#440 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 08:36 AM

Have we solved the pool problem now that Stew Young has described what’s really going on, as opposed to people on a Facebook page misconstruing another point?
  • martini likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users