Photo

Langford and West Shore | 2022-2026 municipal term discussion

• Please log in to reply
678 replies to this topic

#441 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 04:31 PM

Looks like I have some back reading to do. As a resident of Langford, I'm concerned what's been happening recently.

Also what looks like spin depending on who the source is. 

I fully expected to attend a council meeting tonight. It was cancelled at the 11th hour. I'm really raising an eyebrow now. 

• Nparker likes this

#442 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 05:18 PM

Cancelled because the mayor wasn’t feeling well, according to a press release from the City.

Whatever it is, hopefully he recovers soon. He wasn’t feeling great last week, either.
  • martini likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#443 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 07:00 PM

It's concerning if he's ill.
Lots of activity and picket signs. Media was there. Not sure who.
The chatter tonight was questioning why Lillian didn't act as mayor. There was still a quarum.
Apparently the meeting next Tuesday is scheduled for noon?
That needs to be confirmed. If true, is not going to be received well.
  • Nparker likes this

#444 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 07:04 PM

6844D4BA-65EC-4E48-930A-9D6AF039CD31.jpeg
  • martini likes this

#445 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 07:15 PM

What are they protesting?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#446 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 07:15 PM

The proposed tax hike.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 April 2023 - 07:16 PM.

• LJ likes this

#447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 07:22 PM

Oh my.

I didn’t realize there was a protest at city call today.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#448 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 08:20 PM

Cancelled because the mayor wasn’t feeling well, according to a press release from the City.

Whatever it is, hopefully he recovers soon. He wasn’t feeling great last week, either.

Last week? Is that why he was a complete no-show for Al Ferraby on cfax? But he didn't call to cancel. Just didn't show. Apparently called in after the fact. I'm genuinely concerned what's going on.

#449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 08:29 PM

I didn’t know that either. Was he a no-show today?

Know it all.

#450 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 11 April 2023 - 08:41 PM

Just watched a video clip of the "protest." Why do I get the feeling that the same group of people would be out there marching if even if it was only a 3% tax increase. Nothing this new M + C  will do will ever be enough for the aggrieved losing side. There's just something so Trumpian about this whole thing.

• amor de cosmos and Danma like this

#451 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 08:54 PM

I didn’t know that either. Was he a no-show today?

Not a no-show today. Just a very short notice media release this morning that the meeting was cancelled due to his illness.
It's out of the ordinary to cancel with less than 48 hours notice and not utilize your back-up mayor. Why the time change next week? Most won't be able to attend as most will be working.

#452 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 09:44 PM

Just watched a video clip of the "protest." Why do I get the feeling that the same group of people would be out there marching if even if it was only a 3% tax increase. Nothing this new M + C will do will ever be enough for the aggrieved losing side. There's just something so Trumpian about this whole thing.

Trumpian? That seems a bit of an extreme observation.
I didn't get that vibe from the people I spoke to or listened to.
I went to observe and hopefully get a better feel for what's going on.
I don't belong to any group or taking a side.
I came here to catch-up on what I've missed concerning the Y and such.
It's a genuinely concerning situation all around.
Probably the first time I've felt a sense of unease as a resident. Unsure of what's happening.

#453 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 05:56 AM

Trumpian? That seems a bit of an extreme observation.
I didn't get that vibe from the people I spoke to or listened to.

maybe not the people you spoke to but there are definitely people online who want to "make langford young again". if that's not trumpian, nothing is.

#454 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 06:00 AM

Langford has bigger problems than labels right now. The taxpayers there are looking at an average $1,000 municipal property tax increase by 2028, if all goes well. And much more if it doesn’t go well. I can imagine that will upset people.
  • martini likes this

Know it all.

#455 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 07:28 AM

Here’s a clip from the protest: https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg

I don’t think this movement is going away any time soon. I would not be surprised if we see politicians step down.
  • martini and Stephen James like this

Know it all.

#456 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 07:45 AM

I don’t think this movement is going away any time soon. I would not be surprised if we see politicians step down.

Imagine if the thoroughly unqualified Mayor\landscaper steps down.  And then Stew is re-elected and has to manage that council for 3.5 years.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 April 2023 - 07:45 AM.

#457 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:21 AM

Just watched a video clip of the "protest." Why do I get the feeling that the same group of people would be out there marching if even if it was only a 3% tax increase. Nothing this new M + C  will do will ever be enough for the aggrieved losing side. There's just something so Trumpian about this whole thing.

bizarre comments lol

• Barrrister likes this

#458 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:22 AM

maybe not the people you spoke to but there are definitely people online who want to "make langford young again". if that's not trumpian, nothing is.

thin thread at best... lol

#459 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:25 AM

I highly doubt Stew Young will be coming back. He's going to be enjoying his retirement in Las Vegas.

#460 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:26 AM

One thing that's really angered the residents...

Stew pointed out in the interview that last years budget allocation was NOT ALL SPENT! (When have you ever heard of this?) Rather than use that budget surplus this year, current council quietly buried it in a reserve, a cruel, selfish policy that's standard practice in Victoria now. (The real world calls them slush funds.) If they had applied the previous years surplus to the current budget, Stew claims the tax increase would be less than 3%.

That kind of anti-democratic, anti-transparent bs is pure Victoria/NDP playbook and deserves as much protest as can be mustered.

• Nparker and martini like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users