• 4,430 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 03:57 AM

Saanich shootout may be copycat of what happened in 1997 in North Hollywood

• Times Colonist
  • 3 Jul 2022
  • CINDY E. HARNETT 
  •  
  • body.jpg
  • The body of a suspect is removed from the scene of a robbery at the Bank of Montreal at Shelbourne and Pear streets on Tuesday. Two suspects, identified as twin brothers Issac and Mathew Auchterlonie of Duncan, were killed in a shootout with police.

Tuesday’s Saanich shootout has parallels with a North Hollywood shootout that happened on Feb. 28, 1997. The North Hollywood case also involved two heavily armed bank robbers wearing protective gear who exchanged gunfire with police and were killed. The Saanich robbers, as reported by a witness, were unhurried while in the bank, like the two in 1997.

In North Hollywood, an estimated 1,100 rounds were fired by the robbers and 650 by the police; 12 officers and eight civilians were injured. Police were armed with handguns; the robbers had military-grade weapons. The shootout prompted police forces in the U.S. and Canada to arm officers with long guns in addition to their handguns.

When news broke Tuesday of men in tactical gear with highpowered weapons calmly robbing a Saanich bank, followed by a shootout outside, retired Saanich detective Chris Horsley was struck by the similarities to the 1997 North Hollywood shootout that changed policing across North America.

“My mind immediately went to the Bank of America shooting — it’s the first thing that popped into my head because I just recognize some of the similarities between those two incidents,” said Horsley, who was asked to comment on the case.

“It was a landmark incident in policing for North America,” said Horsley. “The Bank of America robbery was used for training police officers. We actually watched the video, we listened to the radio transmission from the robbery … the whole purpose being to learn from the incident and to prepare in the event of something similar happening again.”

“In recent years, if there’s a call for service, you’ll see a police officer carrying a long gun. That’s become the norm. At the time of the Bank of America robbery that was unheard of,” said Horsley.

On Tuesday in Saanich, two heavily armed suspects in protective gear were killed and six members of the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team were wounded in a shootout at the Bank of Montreal on Shelbourne Street in Saanich.

The suspects have been identified as twin brothers Issac and Mathew Auchterlonie of Duncan. Police said the brothers don’t have criminal records.

The RCMP bomb disposal unit removed “extremely dangerous” explosives from a suspect vehicle at the scene and transported them to Hartland Landfill for destruction.

“As a retired officer on the sidelines having received that training, there just appears to be so many similar parallels to this recent incident and that case from all those years ago, including the demeanour of the suspects and the fact they appear to be wearing a lot of protective gear in anticipation, potentially, of an armed encounter,” said Horsley.

According to the documentary North Hollywood Shootout — Situation Critical, both men took the barbiturate phenobarbital prior to the robbery to calm their nerves. They allegedly filled a jam jar with gasoline and put it in the back seat of their vehicle to set it on fire and destroy the evidence.

Horsley said despite the time gap, he wondered if it was a copycat case. “Bank robberies have almost become a thing of the past,” said Horsley. “They don’t happen that often anymore because even if they do get some money by passing a note, they get a minimal amount.” Bank robbery perpetrators are also often career criminals.

Horsley said it struck him as strange that Tuesday’s bank robbery, based on public reports, started with an explosion. He said the standard practice would to be to enter the bank quietly and avoid a scene.

Horsley, who retired while a detective staff sergeant in February, said he felt helpless hearing the news and not being able to assist.

“There’s a feeling of helplessness that you can’t go to help people who are not just your former colleagues, but a lot of them are your friends,” said Horsley, “but I also know that the level of training that police officers receive in this country is very high and at times like this, you will always default back to your training and the skills that have been ingrained in you.”

More: https://www.timescol...in-1997-5542123

Edited by pontcanna, 03 July 2022 - 04:19 AM.

#422 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 04:03 AM

The money will be used “in a variety of ways including but not limited to accommodation and transportation for families of those who are in hospital, psychological support, modifications to homes to allow for future transition from hospital and much more,” according to the fundraiser page.

“Our hope is that none of our members need to worry about any financial burden during this time and can focus on healing and being together with their loved ones,” organizer Chelsea Cofield wrote on the page.

As of Friday afternoon, the fundraiser has raised $30,185 towards its goal of $50,000.

You can find the fundraiser here: https://www.gofundme...e-union-members

https://www.vicnews....anich-shooting/

It's always/often a bit interesting with these GoFundMe campaigns.

The goal here was $50,000.  It's since be re-set to $100,000, but they continue to take donations as they now approach $110,000 raised.

#423 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 04:13 AM

Bank robberies on decline in Canada: SFU criminologist

• Times Colonist
  • 3 Jul 2022  
  • CARLA WILSON 

Organized bank robberies are becoming less common in Canada because they are not lucrative now that little cash is on hand because so many financial transactions happen online, says a Simon Fraser University criminologist.

Robert Gordon was commenting on Tuesday’s bank robbery and shootout at the Bank of Montreal branch on Shelbourne Street in Saanich, which ended with six officers taken to hospital and two suspects dead.

“Bank robberies of this kind are getting rarer and rarer in Canada. That’s because the pickings are not that good,” Gordon said.

These days, bank work involves online or virtual banking, he said.

“Everything is transferred electronically.”

Far less common is a highly organized robbery by a gang of thieves, maybe carried out over a long weekend.

Gordon said he’s mystified by what motivated the Saanich bank robbers. “I have no idea what they thought they would be doing in a BMO branch office in a suburb of Victoria. That’s the big question for me. What were they going after?”

The main reason is normally getting cash, unless there was something else in safety deposit boxes, but that seems unlikely, Gordon said.

“These guys go in and they knock over a vault for money, not for pleasure.”

Police also found explosives. Gordon figures the explosives were on hand in case they were needed to blow off the hinges of a cage protecting an area of the bank.

There’s no point in using explosives on vault doors, because these days, they are designed to lock down if explosives are set off, he said.

More: https://www.timescol...ologist-5542124

Edited by pontcanna, 03 July 2022 - 04:20 AM.

#424 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,962 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 04:46 AM

Bank robberies on decline in Canada: SFU criminologist

• Times Colonist
  • 3 Jul 2022  
  • CARLA WILSON 

Organized bank robberies are becoming less common in Canada because they are not lucrative now that little cash is on hand because so many financial transactions happen online, says a Simon Fraser University criminologist.

Robert Gordon was commenting on Tuesday’s bank robbery and shootout at the Bank of Montreal branch on Shelbourne Street in Saanich, which ended with six officers taken to hospital and two suspects dead.

“Bank robberies of this kind are getting rarer and rarer in Canada. That’s because the pickings are not that good,” Gordon said.

These days, bank work involves online or virtual banking, he said.

“Everything is transferred electronically.”

Far less common is a highly organized robbery by a gang of thieves, maybe carried out over a long weekend.

Gordon said he’s mystified by what motivated the Saanich bank robbers. “I have no idea what they thought they would be doing in a BMO branch office in a suburb of Victoria. That’s the big question for me. What were they going after?”

The main reason is normally getting cash, unless there was something else in safety deposit boxes, but that seems unlikely, Gordon said.

“These guys go in and they knock over a vault for money, not for pleasure.”

Police also found explosives. Gordon figures the explosives were on hand in case they were needed to blow off the hinges of a cage protecting an area of the bank.

There’s no point in using explosives on vault doors, because these days, they are designed to lock down if explosives are set off, he said.

More: https://www.timescol...ologist-5542124

I think this guy is missing the point, badly.

#425 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,962 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 05:09 AM

There is no date on this BMO website document:

https://jobs.bmo.com...-more-than-ever

SUPPORTING EMPLOYEES WITH PURPOSE: Tammy Auchterlonie, Branch Manager at Royal Oak Branch in Victoria, B.C.

Tammy, a military spouse who’s been with BMO for over 30 years, brought to our attention a very real truth faced by others in her community.

“Often companies will say, ‘Oh, you’re a military wife, you're going to move in two years anyway, so we don't want to give you this role,’ or ‘We're not going to promote you.’ Sometimes military spouses don't want to apply for jobs because, ‘Why bother?’”

ET04-2019-0611-001-768x576.jpg

Rear-Admiral Bob Auchterlonie, Commander Maritime Forces Pacific, and his family pose for a photo at the Admiral’s Residence. From left to right: Michael Auchterlonie, Ciarra Grant, RAdm Bob Auchterlonie, Tammy Auchterlonie, Fraser Auchterlonie, and Gabrielle Polard. Photo by Leading Seaman Mike Goluboff, MARPAC Imaging

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 July 2022 - 05:12 AM.

• Spy Black likes this

#426 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 05:49 AM

I don’t think that’s the family. The sons don’t look like twins and they look older than 22

#427 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,962 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 05:53 AM

I don’t think that’s the family. The sons don’t look like twins and they look older than 22

It's not the twins.

But the Admiral's wife (with the same last name as the robbers), pictured here is - a BMO branch manager.  That's what I'm getting at here.  I've also received a tip that she might be connected to that exact Shelbourne branch now (rather than Royal Oak Branch manager).

• Spy Black likes this

#428 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 06:10 AM

That's an extremely strong connection. 

Good find.

#429 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 06:14 AM

I think this guy is missing the point, badly.

Yeah...the "blowing the hinges" part kinda jumped the shark for me.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#430 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 09:46 AM

I don’t know, may have just wanted the cash like a lot of young people, they were waiting for the time safe where the big money is but forgot about the lady alone in the office with her cell phone because they’re not all that bright. Then got trapped like rats in the parking lot and we’re determined at least in the moment to leave the scene.

Just cause they had the explosives didn’t mean they were necessarily going to use them. They had an interest in explosives like a lot of young people. May have just been for destruction of evidence.

Anything is possible with an obviously mind-numbing dull-witted pair.

Edited by todd, 03 July 2022 - 09:47 AM.

#431 Seechelle1969

Seechelle1969
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 09:53 AM

They are not related despite the name. Bob grew up in the Comox Valley and Susan, his sister has been making it clear online that they are not related to the bank robbers.

#432 Seechelle1969

Seechelle1969
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 10:19 AM

It's not the twins.

But the Admiral's wife (with the same last name as the robbers), pictured here is - a BMO branch manager.  That's what I'm getting at here.  I've also received a tip that she might be connected to that exact Shelbourne branch now (rather than Royal Oak Branch manager).

I think he and his wife are back in Ottawa and have been since last year. He took command of the CJOC

#433 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 10:25 AM

I don’t know, may have just wanted the cash like a lot of young people, they were waiting for the time safe where the big money is but forgot about the lady alone in the office with her cell phone because they’re not all that bright. Then got trapped like rats in the parking lot and we’re determined at least in the moment to leave the scene.

Just cause they had the explosives didn’t mean they were necessarily going to use them. They had an interest in explosives like a lot of young people. May have just been for destruction of evidence.

Anything is possible with an obviously mind-numbing dull-witted pair.

I don’t think it had anything to do with money

#434 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,962 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 10:27 AM

Either do I.  

Any word on how these guys lived, if they had jobs?

#435 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 11:19 AM

Either do I.

Any word on how these guys lived, if they had jobs?

I haven’t heard anything … I’m sure it’ll come out soon

#436 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 11:59 AM

OK, but the Shelbourne BMO is kind of a lame spot for that scenario

But again they are obviously a mind-numbing dull-witted pair.

#437 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 12:08 PM

Duncan locals posting on FB say that one of the perps worked at the local Canadian Tire, fwiw.

#438 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 12:17 PM

OK, but the Shelbourne BMO is kind of a lame spot for that scenario

But again they are obviously a mind-numbing dull-witted pair.

Former friends of theirs said they were very smart kids growing up. They’re obviously nuts though and a sane person trying to make sense of a crazy persons thoughts is usually a futile activity.

But let’s theorize: it’s a rainy Sunday and all I have is time. I imagine victoria was chosen as this would probably gain more media attention. I think this location was chosen because the entrance was partially hidden but on a well travelled road. I imagine they’d think that police would be called at some point. But if they strolled into the td across the street, they’d be seen by multiple people very quickly. Big guns, balaclavas - the cops would be called immediately. If they thought they’d get away (which I don’t think is the case) there’s a lot of side streets to slink away on. Downtown wouldn’t be a great spot either and the same with the coast capital further up the road - too visible. A lot of banks are in strip malls without dedicated parking. Or they’re next door to one or two businesses
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#439 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 12:33 PM

Not that it matters much, but does anyone know if there is validity to the rumour that the boys are actually triplets and they have a sister, Sabrina?

#440 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,962 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 12:36 PM

The Globe and Mail said several people stated this.

For eight years, Justin Henry considered himself the best friend of both Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie. On Saturday, the 22-year-old brothers from central Vancouver Island were named as suspects in a botched robbery earlier this week at a Bank of Montreal branch in Saanich, B.C.—a Victoria bedroom community.

Both young men were killed in a shootout with police outside the bank on Tuesday. Six responding officers were shot, three of them suffered life-threatening injuries.

The RCMP described them as twins in a news conference. But Mr. Henry and several other young men and women who spoke to The Globe and Mail said they were in fact triplets, and are survived by their sister Sabrina.

Mr. Henry said he first met the pair in Grade 4, at Bench Elementary School, in Cowichan Bay, B.C. The three shared a passion for Lego, Star Wars films and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, he said.

Mr. Henry recalled that when they were around 15, the brothers — who came from a hunting family and were legal gun owners — started going to the gym. “They did some cadet training,” and were interested in military training. He said they “always dressed up in camo,” adding they “liked blowing stuff up. That was their big interest.” He said the brothers’ Instagram pages, which have been set to private, showcase photos of them in tactical gear.

Sometime after high school, the brothers began drifting away from their friends, Mr. Henry and others recalled. Mr. Henry said he hadn’t spoken to either brother in a few years. “Something had to have happened to have made them do something like this. They were really good kids. This blows my mind.”

Mr. Henry described the Auchterlonie brothers, who he said grew up on a rural property on Shawnigan Lake, in central Vancouver Island, as “unbelievably smart.”

https://www.theglobe...ank-robbery-in/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 July 2022 - 12:39 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users