Photo

1088 Johnson

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 07:47 PM

.. I see many opportunities for future high-rises. 

I'd be surprised if there were more than a dozen large sites left in Harris Green* for high-rise style density.
harris green.png

I'm not even sure if the 2 blocks of Fort Street between Quadra and Cook are actually in HG or Fairfield (especially the south side). I doubt we'll ever see any 20+ storey edifices ever built in this stretch regardless of the official neighbourhood designation. 

*that are not currently or soon will be under redevelopment

• Biro likes this

#22 HarrisonGreene

HarrisonGreene
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 08:27 PM

I'd be surprised if there were more than a dozen large sites left

*that are not currently or soon will be under redevelopment

Some of the areas in green could easily have multiple towers so it looks to me like there's plenty of space.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 09:44 PM

Expect to see more density and height along the perimeter in North Park, Burnside and Fernwood.
  • HarrisonGreene likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 09:02 AM

Expect to see more density and height along the perimeter in North Park, Burnside and Fernwood.

Nest and Haven are just the start of this push into these areas.  The Volvo dealer lot on the east side of Cook would be a logical and supportable next.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 11:02 AM

Yes, for sure.

We are also seeing it with the BC Housing tower on Pandora, the Aryze tower on Quadra and Fisgard, and Chard’s Douglas/Caledonia.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 12:30 PM

Fisgard to Hillside from Blanshard to Government should also be logical area for this if the city was not so set on keeping it half vacant!

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 12:36 PM

According to our current council, it makes more sense to destroy Fairfield than to densify north downtown and Rock Bay.

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 12:43 PM

Ideally, this should be the next Harris Green.

rock bay.png

#29 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,062 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 12:49 PM

^ hey now!

#30 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,062 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 12:51 PM

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.07.08-16_50_50.png

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:23 AM

Ideally, this should be the next Harris Green.

attachicon.gif rock bay.png

I have to say I strongly disagree. Victoria is very fortunate to have an industrial area so close to our downtown core. It is a huge employment centre for the city. We should be if anything both protecting and expanding our industrial areas in the city. Victoria also has a tiny vacancy rate for industrial and some of the highest industrial lease rates due to that. Not too many areas with port access as well. 

• GaryOak and corvus like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:27 AM

What an odd idea to put residential in this area. I suppose you would want to name it something weird like Rose-Blanshard as well.

Sarcasm aside, I agree this is the place I would be adding housing. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#33 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,062 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:28 AM

I don’t agree with this “we need industrial areas close to the core” thinking. Why?

Sure, a public works yard, we have that. Do we need all the Ralmax stuff? Probably not.

But why do we need a scrap car facility?

Most of Rock Bay is actually light commercial.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 07:21 AM

There's no reason light industrial cannot coexist alongside increased residential density in Rock Bay.
  • Mike K. likes this

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 01:45 PM

In a meeting with a councillor today, the sentiment is that the newly approved Chard development on Caledonia will spur more residential development north of there.

I think officialdom has tested the industrial space waters for long enough to realize it has failed to launch. If there was really demand for light industrial there, it would have been built, given the low regional vacancy. Dockside Green was also big on the industrial thing, and there’s none there.

Light industrial makes sense where it’s being built now, on the West Shore, close to highways, and on land that isn’t taxed by the CoV. Industrial space in the city centre that is solely vehicle-serviced is a liability due to the traffic congestion and access problems, and it’s more difficult to service the region out of downtown.

Who knows how long Point Hope has left. Their massive expansion effort hasn’t moved forward yet.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#36 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,062 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 01:48 PM

Light industrial makes sense where it’s being built now, on the West Shore, close to highways, and on land that isn’t taxed by the CoV. Industrial space in the city centre that is solely vehicle-serviced is a liability due to the traffic congestion and access problems, and it’s more difficult to service the region out of downtown.

Yes, and apart from public works, what is needed to service downtown and Oak Bay?  Sure, cement for the new towers, but does that really have to stage at Rock Bay, rather than say Keating?

#37 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 03:21 PM

Best way to move massive amounts of getting rock and aggregate in and metal and crushed cars out is by train or barge, and since the trains aren't running that leaves barges to do all the heavy lifting.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 04:53 PM

Yes, if you require delivery then it makes sense. Otherwise you stage the operation where the gravel originates, which used to be out at Keating I think, and it still occurs out in Sooke at the Butler yard. Are they still processing gravel there (at Keating)?

Know it all.

#39 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 11:23 PM

In a meeting with a councillor today, the sentiment is that the newly approved Chard development on Caledonia will spur more residential development north of there.

I think officialdom has tested the industrial space waters for long enough to realize it has failed to launch. If there was really demand for light industrial there, it would have been built, given the low regional vacancy. Dockside Green was also big on the industrial thing, and there’s none there.

Who knows how long Point Hope has left. Their massive expansion effort hasn’t moved forward yet.

That septic treatment plant at Dockside reeks. Time for some new coir.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 06:04 AM

Does it? That’s not good. It was supposed to be odourless, wasn’t it?

I should mention that there is a storage project coming to south Burnside that will have a little bit of warehouse/light industrial space for lease.

But I don’t think storage was what people had in mind when setting aside Caledonia to Douglas for non-residential use.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users