Crabben in the Park

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 09:19 AM

One puff guy is the only one here guided by facts, though.

The rest of you are responding emotionally. It’s ok, I get the reaction. But we have a historically high problem with drugs and addiction in our community right now. Pushing more drugs on society surely can’t be the right approach here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 09:22 AM

I’d like to put in a kind word for functional alcoholics.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 July 2023 - 09:22 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 09:33 AM

I’m not here to judge adults, and what they choose to do with their lives. I’m ok with anyone making any choice that doesn’t harm others or impact the broader community.

Where I question our sincerity about protecting children and keeping drugs/bad influences away from children, is when family-friendly events can’t happen without a beer garden, next to a “kids zone.” That’s a failure in my books.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 09:35 AM

I might suggest that the alcohol helps fund some of these events. The beer tent supplier might have pretty deep pockets, to kick back cash. More so than the mini donut guy.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 July 2023 - 09:43 AM.

#25 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 10:32 AM

Mini doughnuts are a gateway drug, just one mini doughnut and the next thing you know you’ve got 500 dozen Krispy Kreme’s in your dodge Caravan.
  • lanforod likes this

#26 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 10:33 AM

I agree, one puff of mini donuts you are hooked on video games.
  • lanforod likes this

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 11:26 AM

The Paint-In is also promoting the evils of alcohol.

paint-in schedule.png

• Matt R. likes this

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 12:29 PM

Mini doughnuts are a gateway drug, just one mini doughnut and the next thing you know you’ve got 500 dozen Krispy Kreme’s in your dodge Caravan.

Your restaurant would be forced to close if you couldn’t sell alcohol, I imagine. That liquor license is gold, Jerry! Gold!

That’s how messed up things have become, when a family-friendly event needs to sell alcohol to be viable, in a tent next to the kids zone so the parents can drink and watch their kids bounce around. The Moss Street Paint-In never had alcohol. But it does now! Come have a cold one or six, bring the children in too, so you can have a seventh while they grab some shade.

What a shameful state we’re in.

As an aside, at music events, the beer gardens are also the only areas where you can escape from the sun. I think next up will be alcohol at car shows, and liquor at early morning swap meets.

Know it all.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 12:35 PM

Oh yeah, and have a look at the line-up of craft beers made in Victoria. If it’s not 6%, it’s not crafty enough. 7% is like the golden standard now for the crafters.

Know it all.

#30 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 July 2023 - 12:36 PM

Says the guy who sees triple on one puff, clearly buying the strongest pot he can find!

#31 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 July 2023 - 12:38 PM

This conversation would be a lot better over some beers. Maybe at a beer garden, next to some kids bouncing in a caslte and a big ol' bucket of crab.

• aastra, Nparker, kayla and 1 other like this

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 12:47 PM

^you must be high. Because that sounds like a nightmare 👹
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#33 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 01:01 PM

So crabby.
  • kayla, lanforod and JohnsonStBridge like this

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 02:22 PM

It's an abomicrustacean!

• lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#35 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 14 July 2023 - 03:06 PM

Oh yeah, and have a look at the line-up of craft beers made in Victoria. If it’s not 6%, it’s not crafty enough. 7% is like the golden standard now for the crafters.

It is easy to tell how out of touch you are making that statement. If you actually frequented any of the local tasting rooms/brew pubs you would know that the vast majority of offerings fall in the 5% range. Sure there will be styles offered that are a higher ABV (a low ABV imperial stout or Belgian tripel isn't going to taste right) but they don't dominate the menu and are generally offered as a smaller pour to compensate. In fact, there has been a considerable trend recently within the local breweries to expand into non-alcoholic offerings. Phillips, Moon Under Water, Whistle Buoy, Spinnakers, & Category 12 all produce non-alcoholic options that are carried in many other establishments that don't have their own.

• Matt R., pontcanna, kayla and 2 others like this

#36 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 04:00 PM

Shameful indeed. Why not join your fellow booze-busters below

Screenshot 2023-07-14 16.54.13.png Screenshot 2023-07-14 16.58.49.png

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 07:26 PM

The Moss Street Paint-In never had alcohol. But it does now! C

I have only been to the Moss Street Paint-in once, maybe 8-10 years ago. IIRC there was a beer garden in a little roped off area.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 09:34 PM

In fact, there has been a considerable trend recently within the local breweries to expand into non-alcoholic offerings. Phillips, Moon Under Water, Whistle Buoy, Spinnakers, & Category 12 all produce non-alcoholic options that are carried in many other establishments that don't have their own.

Yes, they’re making non-alcoholic beers as people get off the booze.

The craft market has gone nuts, though. There was no such thing as 8% beer outside of malt liquor 40s when I was growing up. Now 8.5 9 9.5% beers are super common from the crafters, and they’re getting people loaded. I remember when bartenders would tell people drinking Fat Tug to be careful. Now 7% beer is not even worth a mention.

Know it all.

#39 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 04:07 AM

Meet you at the beer tent, Mike!   

2pm to 8pm today.

screenshot-crabben.ca-2023.07.15-08_06_09.png

The entertainment schedule is out.

screenshot-crabben.ca-2023.07.15-08_05_34.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2023 - 04:08 AM.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 06:43 AM

Negative, I’ve got a car to prep for a car show. You guys go ahead an enjoy the bouncy castle and DJ Donut. 🤟
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users