Crabben in the Park

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 11:43 AM

Did you end up buying that Brabus 6x6 AMG that Silver Arrow had for sale? Nice one.

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 12:50 PM

In a climate crisis?

Dude.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 01:36 PM

Six wheels is better than 18, honk honk!

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 01:44 PM

You mean better than ten?

Boy’s not right, ever since he started on the pot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 01:45 PM

Honestly, for 1.3m USD I would expect more wheels too.

• Mike K. likes this

#46 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:21 AM

What a huge success this was; I don't know how many thousands showed up over the course of the day but I'm sure it far exceeded expectations. It was truly a great family event! I would guess when we were there mid/late afternoon there were probably 2000-ish people hanging about having a great time, not to mention the lineup for the crab. Must confess I was in the latter more than once.

Parking was a bit of a gong show fortunately for us we only live a 5 minute walk down Selkirk. Was super impressed with the orgnization and with the very well behaved crowd. Kudos to the organizers. Looking forward to next year, and also to the upcoming upgrades to Banfield Park which is one of the great underrated and underappreciated jewels in the region. Doubling the existing dock space, installation of more lighting and permanent washrooms also by the foreshore near the dock will all enhance it greatly.

• lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:30 AM

2,000 people hanging around?

This is what happens when you’re on the pot, kids. You see quadruple.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#48 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 10:40 AM

2,000 people hanging around?

This is what happens when you’re on the pot, kids. You see quadruple.

Why is that number surprising? Over the course of the entire day the numbers were certainly into the few thousands overall: it was a very warm sunny day, the Banfield dock was jammed offering up all manner of water activities literally 100 meters from the main area which featured a stage with local music acts/bands. a huge kiddy play area with inflatable bouncy figures, plus lots of table,s chairs and condiments all supplied, and a continuous and very long all day lineup for the most important item, dungeness crab.

Considering this was overwhelmingly attended by couples of all ages and many many families with kids I'd wager the typical VV Christmas party features far more mind altering substances than this event. Aside from a few private security guards VicPD had a more of less continuous presence with a cruiser in the parking lot, cops congenially chatting and interacting with attendees, and a few more uniforms periodically cruising the broader Skinner, Craigflower, and Selkirk neighborhoods, as well as nearby Esquimalt HS, primarily keeping an eye on traffic/control. 

• Nparker, lanforod and JohnsonStBridge like this

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 12:07 PM

Sure sure, but you said you saw 2,000 people hanging around at the event.

That’s an extremely large number of people for such a small park, is all I’m saying.

Know it all.

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,073 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 12:10 PM

I worked it out. It’s like one person per 32 square metres, seems OK.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 01:06 PM

Here’s what 2,000 people looks like.

IMG_0835.png

Know it all.

#52 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 03:26 PM

^ Mike you need to read the fine print when surfing the net. That is Del Ray Beach stadium which seats 8,200.

• AllseeingEye, Matt R., lanforod and 1 other like this

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 03:37 PM

I thought I did. They limited the crowd to 2000 people, as per this link: https://www.tenniswo...of-2000-people/

I assumed the photo was taken at the time of the event, with the sub headline in past-tense.

Know it all.

#54 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 04:31 PM

2000 people really isn’t a very big crowd. Royal theatre is 1500 ish?
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 04:36 PM

Royal Theatre capacity = 1,416

• Matt R. likes this

#56 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 06:22 PM

ASE, was the bucket of crab a good value at $74?

• lanforod likes this

#57 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 21 July 2023 - 11:35 PM

^ Mike you need to read the fine print when surfing the net. That is Del Ray Beach stadium which seats 8,200.

You need to put on your reading glasses before reading the fine print. That is not the Del Ray Beach Stadium. Tennis courts make identifying the location easy for you old farts by conveniently spelling the location directly on the courts. As shown in that image that is the Abu Dhabi International Tennis Centre Court (with seating capacity of 5,000).

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 04:46 AM

Holy bejesus.

No wonder Meta doesn’t want to pay for news content.

Article about 2000 fans at Del Ray stadium, featuring a photo of a stadium in Abu Dhabi. Priceless.

Know it all.

#59 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 05:21 AM

Artificial Intelligence
  • Nparker likes this

#60 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 11:15 PM

ASE, was the bucket of crab a good value at $74?

LOL now that I think of it actually Mrs ASE - who does not like seafood - paid for it. I never asked and she never volunteered what the cost was. I would think so but then I'm a huge seafood and crab lover. No price is too much for me for fresh dungeness crab. To put it into perspective Nova Scotia lobster ranges up to $13/lb and a box of 8 can fetch $150-200 easily. Some BC wholesalers sell dungeness for up to $65/lb so the cost at Crabben I would venture was in line with market prices. It sure was tasty!

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users