Photo

Work from home

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 12:20 PM

My office is still over 50% WFH full time.

I can tell you our backlogs are way up and productivity is way down from before covid.

• Nparker, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#22 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 12:26 PM

I think almost everyone agrees WFH is less productive, at least with most employees.   That's natural.

• Barrrister likes this

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 12:56 PM

I think almost everyone agrees WFH is less productive, at least with most employees...

So maybe it is time to make people come back to the office, especially in the public sector, where taxpayer dollars are involved.

• Barrrister likes this

#24 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 01:02 PM

Yeah but then you loose the few productive WFH people.

#25 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 01:04 PM

Maybe make it so that if you're above the 50 percentile in productivity, you can choose to work from home and if you are below the 50 percentile you come into the office.

#26 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 01:32 PM

Pay them more to work at the office and fire the unproductive WFHers. Done.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#27 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 01:34 PM

If the position doesn’t require WIO then WFHer that is productive is fine. But they are even better in the office as they create a culture of productivity.

#28 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 01:35 PM

Maybe don’t require your employees to put a diaper on their face or get injections to work too. That might also make people feel better about returning.
  • Nparker likes this

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 06:28 PM

What is going on, to make people avoid in-person employment to such a degree that they'd rather quit?

Is this really so mysterious? For those keeping score:

1) offices were never deadly dangerous places
2) offices suddenly became deadly dangerous places
3) offices continued to be deadly dangerous places for many months, stretching into years
4) offices suddenly stopped being deadly dangerous places
5) offices have no potential to suddenly become deadly dangerous places all over again

It would seem that point #5 above is just too much of a stretch for many people to accept, even for those who tried their damndest to accept points #2 through #4.

Not only that, but anyone who does make the effort to accept point #5 will run the risk of being tempted to revisit points #2 through #4, and that would be an extremely unpleasant exercise for a lot of people, keeping in mind everything they did, everything they said, and everything they believed during the past ~3 years.

I'll go out on a limb and say I wouldn't be surprised if they bring this current "employment crisis" to a head, maybe via some kind of ultimatum with a fixed deadline (coincidentally shared by many different jurisdictions at the same time, and with some insufferable universal slogan: "Come In To Work Or You'll Be Out Of Work" or something like that)... but then as soon as the deadline passes they say workplaces are suddenly deadly dangerous all over again.

If something like that were to happen, I don't think I would be gobsmacked into speechlessness. My jaw wouldn't strike the floor from sheer shock and disbelief.

• dasmo and lanforod like this

#30 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:20 PM

Please do that! Let’s get Clown World to crash!

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 06:40 AM

First we need to survive September 23.

We know there will be back-to-office legislation. There is far too much money and wealth riding on a centralized employment node, where only 20% of the population lives nearby, while the other 80% have to endure costly, and timely commutes to get to.

But the one variable here isn’t the office environment and health, but the public transit environment and health. Now that’s a very fragile relationship. People hate being on crowded public transit more than ever, after what we went through during COVID. At the first sign of sniffles from flu and cold season, I think the workers already in offices are going to be second guessing their desires to be in the office.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 06:45 AM

Covid measures….

#33 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 06:53 AM

The province has said there will never be a blanket back to office provision for its employees.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 September 2023 - 06:53 AM.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 07:00 AM

The province has said there will never be a blanket back to office provision for its employees.

Until there is. When I was hired into the BC Public Service I never had to prove my vaccination status for anything. Changing the rules in the middle of the game would be nothing new for this regime.

• dasmo and max.bravo like this

#35 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 07:03 AM

Exactly. They fired thousands for not taking an experimental injection. Thousands in our over burdened healthcare system.

#36 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 September 2023 - 07:07 AM

There really shouldn't be either, IMO. Why should productivity be the only goal? Longer term, employee satisfaction with satisfactory productivity is better than higher productivity and lower employee satisfaction. Compared to allowing flexibility in roles that can, to work from home, the latter likely results in higher turnover, health issues, sick and stress leaves, and ultimately lower or similar productivity over the long term.

• dasmo likes this

#37 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 07:07 AM

At least the Alberta premier apologized and hired them back.

#38 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 07:09 AM

We definitely don’t need more government intervention….

#39 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 07:12 AM

There really shouldn't be either, IMO. Why should productivity be the only goal? Longer term, employee satisfaction with satisfactory productivity is better than higher productivity and lower employee satisfaction. Compared to allowing flexibility in roles that can, to work from home, the latter likely results in higher turnover, health issues, sick and stress leaves, and ultimately lower or similar productivity over the long term.

Exactly. Add in traffic calming, high parking costs, expensive gas and having to wade through zombies to get to work there is even more reason to resist the call.

Edited by dasmo, 06 September 2023 - 07:13 AM.

#40 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 07:15 AM

Government could work on those things. That’s what we pay them for right? They work for us right? Right?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users