BC Lions game in Victoria - summer 2024 - Saturday, Aug 31

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,068 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 10:55 PM

It will be first-down-and-10 on Caledonia Street, a source has confirmed to the Times Colonist. It is expected to be announced Wednesday that a Canadian Football League regular-season home game of the B.C. Lions will be played at Royal Athletic Park in 2024. The Lions’ opponent is expected to be the Ottawa ­Redblacks.

The City of Victoria and the Lions have called a news conference for this morning at the Victoria Conference Centre. In attendance will be CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie, ­Victoria born and raised Lions team owner Amar Doman, Lions head coach and co-GM Rick Campbell, Lions president Duane ­Vienneau, Lions kicker Sean Whyte, ­Victoria mayor Marianne Alto and Destination Greater Victoria CEO Paul Nursey.

“Greater Victoria is a special place for Amar [Lions owner and Oak Bay Secondary graduate Doman] and this is very important for him,” said Vienneau, at the time.

A number of Island fans make their way across the strait to watch the Lions play at B.C. Place, including Victoria mayor and season-ticket holder Alto.

Vienneau added in that ­January interview that the Lions would need a minimum 10,000 seats to make an Island game viable. Permanent seating at Royal Athletic Park is listed at 3,800 in the main grandstand and midfield areas for soccer and 2,867 in the corner section for HarbourCats baseball. The City-owned facility, however, was temporarily expanded to 10,500 seats for soccer’s 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

https://www.timescol...-source-7896492

#2 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:45 AM

Tall ask to add the temp seating for one game but I guess it's possible.  Still think they should bring training camp here, whether they add the game or not.

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:46 AM

Tall ask to add the temp seating for one game but I guess it's possible.  Still think they should bring training camp here, whether they add the game or not.

They have a permanent training facility in Surrey, no?

A football team is no small roster at training camp.  Certainly RAP does not have the off-field facilities (weights gym, medical, catering etc.).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 November 2023 - 08:48 AM.

#4 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:49 AM

They have a permanent facility in Surrey, no?

That is their practice facility in Whalley yes...  For years training camp was in Kelowna... I think they have moved it to Kamloops recently.  You want training camp away from town, one of the reasons trying to get more excitement for the team and promote your sport.

Edited by Ismo07, 29 November 2023 - 08:49 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 11:35 AM

23C1877D-47C9-4C92-BBE0-217A08B482C8.jpeg

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:37 PM

The stadium will be expanded to welcome approximately 10,000-14,000 guests, including standing room.

Touchdown Pacific is the latest installment in the Touchdown Series, following five Touchdown Atlantic events that celebrated Canadian football and deepened its imprint throughout the East Coast.

The 2023 edition generated over $10M in overall economic impact, benefitting businesses and communities across the region.

It’s expecting to bring similar revenue to the Greater Victoria region.

“We anticipate thousands will attend this big-ticket event, generating significant economic benefits for Victoria and the South Island and providing the BC Lions a great opportunity to host their fan base in Vancouver Island, and beyond,” Lana Popham, minister of tourism, arts and culture, said.

The Lions are excited to bring the team to the Island for a regular season game.

https://www.cheknews...summer-1179631/

I'm not sure if the name makes good sense.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 November 2023 - 12:38 PM.

#7 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 01:53 PM

Good buzz, I haven’t heard so much about the cfl in forever… not even Greenday at half time show.

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 01:56 PM

Perhaps a moderator can change the thread title to add the date?

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 01:58 PM

It’s a Saturday, BTW.

Always a pet peeve of mine when the day of the week is not added to release information.

#10 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 02:09 PM

The owner of the BC Lions, Amar Doman, is a great owner and born in Victoria. He knows how to promote the game and make it affordable for families.

#11 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 02:10 PM

What’s a great owner? Like the father of an owner?

I don’t know. Attendance in Vancouver sits pretty low compared to the heydays (1986, 46,000+ average).

The Lions’ attendance dropped 30 percent in the two years after Ackles’ untimely death in 2008 and has fallen for seven consecutive seasons following a mini-peak of 30,366 in 2012. The club’s average attendance figure of 17,803 in 2019 was the third-worst in team history.

https://3downnation....google_vignette

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 November 2023 - 02:16 PM.

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 November 2023 - 02:54 PM

I've never been to a Lions games (or any CFL game). But I expect the cost to take a family of 4 will NOT be cheap.

#13 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 03:11 PM

I've never been to a Lions games (or any CFL game). But I expect the cost to take a family of 4 will NOT be cheap.

If you can get a ticket. Lions have about 12,000 season tickets holders which is the expected capacity of RAP. It is possible that the only tickets available will be on the secondary market.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 09:57 PM

Touchdown Pacific is being held in conjunction with the CFL, B.C. Lions, City of Victoria, government of B.C. and Destination Greater Victoria, but hard financial details were not provided.

Alto said it’s a “coalition of sources” and that the city’s contribution — “a few hundred thousand dollars” — is all in-kind.

https://www.timescol...ictoria-7902424

#15 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:15 AM

I had seasons tickets to the Lions for years, was always lots of fun and not very expensive.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:16 AM

If you can get a ticket. Lions have about 12,000 season tickets holders which is the expected capacity of RAP. It is possible that the only tickets available will be on the secondary market.

I would doubt if 10% of season ticket holders would come over here for the game, their package probably won't include this game.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 05:07 AM

I would doubt if 10% of season ticket holders would come over here for the game, their package probably won't include this game.

The release says this game is included.

It's a long weekend too.

The Touchdown Pacific game will be included as part of the season-ticket holders package.

Vienneau said there are about 1,000 Lions season ticket holders on the Island and thousands of others who go across the strait for individual games.

https://www.timescol...ictoria-7902424

I'm actually guessing it'll be a plus-cost opt-in for season ticket holders.

Although currently season ticket orders are temporarily disabled on their website.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2023 - 05:12 AM.

#18 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 06:01 AM

Perhaps a moderator can change the thread title to add the date?

• Mike K. likes this

#19 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 06:59 AM

City of Victoria pitching in $300K worth of organizational infrastructure

The city is supporting the event with up to $300K in kind, meaning it will pay for field preparation, traffic control, staffing, and other expenses necessary to stage the game and festival.

“We’re not writing them a cheque,” the mayor quipped. 

https://www.capitald...ay-at-vic-s-rap

The game likely will start at 4 pm, the Lions said, due to national television considerations, not because of any potential lighting issues at RAP.

“We think this is fantastic for Victoria and the sports market,” said Jim Swanson, managing partner of the Victoria HarbourCats. The stadium’s main tenants’ season will come to an end a mere two weeks prior to kickoff, leaving the CFL and city a narrow window in which to transform RAP into a professional football facility. 

“I’m interested in seeing the timeline and planning,” Swanson said.

“It’s super special for me,” said Lions owner—and Victorian—Amar Doman, whose family tree was planted in this city more than a decade ago.

What does that mean?  That he has only lived in Victoria for a decade?

I thought they were always a Victoria, or at least Vancouver Island based company.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2023 - 07:03 AM.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 07:12 AM

Didn't Mr. Doman go to Oak Bay high?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users