Photo

BC Lions game in Victoria - summer 2024 - Saturday, Aug 31

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 12:25 PM

Of all the special sporting events that have been held in Victoria in recent years/decades I would honestly rate a CFL game right near the bottom, BUT... the CFL is a peculiar product and if you hyped the event in the right way and actually made it "a special event" I think it could be a bigger deal than a regular season CFL game has any right to be. But methinks you would need to have at least enough temporary seating to get the venue to 20,000. Otherwise it wouldn't have that "special event" appeal.

You know, the event itself should be at least a couple of days, with live music and whatever else. Victoria Watcher can work out the details.

#42 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 12:28 PM

Of all the special sporting events that have been held in Victoria in recent years/decades I would honestly rate a CFL game right near the bottom, BUT... the CFL is a peculiar product and if you hyped the event in the right way and actually made it "a special event" I think it could be a bigger deal than a regular season CFL game has any right to be. But methinks you would need to have at least enough temporary seating to get the venue to 20,000. Otherwise it wouldn't have that "special event" appeal.

You know, the event itself should be at least a couple of days, with live music and whatever else. Victoria Watcher can work out the details.

Sounds like there is a festival of some sort...

• aastra likes this

#43 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 02:41 PM

The timing is just about perfect...right at the start of the Labour Day long weekend. I would be very surprised if it didn't sell out.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:37 PM

I would be very surprised if it didn't sell out.

I wouldn't be surprised if it sells 20,000 seats, but I also wouldn't be surprised if attendance was disappointing. This is what I was meaning when I said the CFL has a peculiar character. As an actual sporting competition it still has a ton of legitimacy, unlike the NFL which has all but abandoned the premise of resembling an actual sport and now exists almost exclusively for political/entertainment/gambling/social programming purposes. But as a draw with a more general appeal, the CFL can be hit or miss (see previous comment about NFL). Would the Victoria market be more likely to embrace it as a hyped special event or as a plain vanilla* football game that just happens to be staged in Victoria? Do kids nowadays even know what the CFL is? I guess we'll find out.

*vanilla is actually a very tasty flavour and not actually plain, but you know what I mean

#45 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:37 PM

This is what I was meaning when I said the CFL has a peculiar character.

Spoiler alert: Victoria itself also has a peculiar character.

#46 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:38 PM

aastra is a peculiar character. Fact.

• aastra likes this

#47 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:39 PM

That's a peculiar comment, even for VV.

• lanforod likes this

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:39 PM

VV forumers are a peculiar people.

#49 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:42 PM

aastra is a peculiar character. Fact.

That's out of bounds and you know it. The mods should be throwing a flag, but of course they're looking the other way...

#50 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:45 PM

Maybe worth a whistle, but you know full well my goal was good.

#51 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:49 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it sells 20,000 seats, but I also wouldn't be surprised if attendance was disappointing. This is what I was meaning when I said the CFL has a peculiar character. As an actual sporting competition it still has a ton of legitimacy, unlike the NFL which has all but abandoned the premise of resembling an actual sport and now exists almost exclusively for political/entertainment/gambling/social programming purposes. But as a draw with a more general appeal, the CFL can be hit or miss (see previous comment about NFL). Would the Victoria market be more likely to embrace it as a hyped special event or as a plain vanilla* football game that just happens to be staged in Victoria? Do kids nowadays even know what the CFL is? I guess we'll find out.

*vanilla is actually a very tasty flavour and not actually plain, but you know what I mean

He is the Wiki link to Touchdown Atlantic, shows all the events they have done with attendance...  Some around 10,000 and some around 20,000.

Touchdown Atlantic - Wikipedia

#52 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:37 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it sells 20,000 seats, but I also wouldn't be surprised if attendance was disappointing. 

Since there are only going to be 12,000 seats I would be surprised if they sold 20,000 tickets!

#53 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:38 PM

The timing is just about perfect...right at the start of the Labour Day long weekend. I would be very surprised if it didn't sell out.

I think that it will sell well. 

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 08:51 PM

It's a busy weekend for tourism, now add an additional ~2,000 people from the mainland who wouldn't ordinarily be here, so how are we going to manage the hotel situation?

500 STRs downtown and another 500 throughout the core of the region could have come in really handy for event like this. I agree with the sentiment further up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#55 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:09 PM

It's a busy weekend for tourism, now add an additional ~2,000 people from the mainland who wouldn't ordinarily be here, so how are we going to manage the hotel situation?

500 STRs downtown and another 500 throughout the core of the region could have come in really handy for event like this. I agree with the sentiment further up.

We can manage.  More than half will stay with friends and family, some will stay up Island etc.  Will hotels be busy?  Yes.  Can we figure it out?  Also yes.

#56 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 07:01 AM

I will rent out a couple of bedrooms, no I won't.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#57 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:13 AM

Langford has a few hotels... 

#58 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:26 AM

I will rent out a couple of bedrooms, no I won't.

I would think that the City might be inclined to overlook the few places that open up that weekend!

Average hotel price looks to be about $350 a night at this point although a few bargains are still available. Will be interesting to see what happens once tickets go on sale in March.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:27 AM

What's the latest on seating capacity at RAP? I know it can be expanded to 10,000 but I think they're going to want/need bigger numbers than that, with Lana Popham saying 10,000 to 12,000.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:29 AM

They really should already be selling tickets now, even if they cannot yet assign seats. Or ticket deposits at least.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users